Hacking Confused about which Micro SD card to get

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i just got my DSTwo it look awesome and super badass. Ive been reading about all the different Micro SD cards but hearing alot of mixed things. I would prefer a 32gb (why not get the biggest i can use i for multiple things) at least class 6 or 10 if it actaully works.
Hears what i heard:
-Kingston is good when they work but 16gb and above fail alot
-a-data and transcends are really good
-class 10 sometimes has problem/breaking (overclocking?) and not always compatible with everything
-sandisk is average

what are all of your thoughts on this matter?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Get a Sandisk, Kingston or Toshiba. I don't see much point in getting a Class 10 card - a Class 4 (4 MB/s) should be sufficient and shouldn't cause any lags, however to be on the safe side, a Class 6-8 card should be affordable. I have a Toshiba Class 8 and a Sandisk Class 4, both working like a charm.

Reactions: 1 person

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i just got my DSTwo it look awesome and super badass. Ive been reading about all the different Micro SD cards but hearing alot of mixed things. I would prefer a 32gb (why not get the biggest i can use i for multiple things) at least class 6 or 10 if it actaully works.
Hears what i heard:
-Kingston is good when they work but 16gb and above fail alot
-a-data and transcends are really good
-class 10 sometimes has problem/breaking (overclocking?) and not always compatible with everything
-sandisk is average

what are all of your thoughts on this matter?
A Kingston card of mine failed after a year.

Sandisk is the average at Class 2's and 4's available on the super-cheap.

32GB card is great for a PSP, but I'd hold off and get 16GB for NDS.

A really great brand to look into is AmazonBasics. They make the best Class 10 16GB MicroSD, which on-average gets 15MB/s transfer rates, which is 50% better than Class 10 promises.

I've recently signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime, so I've been trying out their AmazonBasics line of merchandise and I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm an A-Data, Amazon, and Sandisk user, and all 3 cards have not failed me. My Sandisk is as old as CycloDS was new, and its still working.
A-Data was great for PSP games, but AmazonBasics gave me the same storage and 2x more speed at a cheaper price.

The only thing I own thats Transcend is a USB card reader. Can't comment on their SD cards.

For NDS, a 16GB card holds around 200 or more NDS games, give or take. I happen to have alot of 64-256MB games too.
I now use an A-Data on my DSTwo, and noticed that some games create new game data much quicker than it did on a Class2. Personal Trainer which takes a minute+ to create new data, took the A-Data like 10 seconds.

I recommend getting Class 10 cards as they're semi-needed for HD phones, but the NDS/Flashcart performs comfortably at Class 4. PSP performs comfortably at Class 6.

I own 9 MicroSD cards (Most are 16GB), I personally favor my Amazon Basics that I use exclusively for PSP.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I can recommend the Transcend, i have never had a problem from these, i always ensure i purchase Transcend class 6

Edit: typo

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see why you'd need so much space..
Just curious, where'd you get your DSTwo, and how much did it cost? :P

I got my DSTwo from zhuzhuchina.com for two reason:
-Great customer service and good group of people sounded like
-only deal with originals and will refund if a fake.
-con is that they take like 2-3 weeks to deliver

I think i have found the card i want and for a great price. My only concern before i order it is that some of the reviews say it broke after 4-8 months. Is that just how micro SD cards are or is that a compatibility issue with there device?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208475

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think i have found the card i want and for a great price. My only concern before i order it is that some of the reviews say it broke after 4-8 months. Is that just how micro SD cards are or is that a compatibility issue with there device?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820208475
The adapters seem to break pretty easily, but I don't know whether it's that or the MSD itself that they're talking about.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP

mikey, i have lost count on how many Transcends i have purchased for myself, family and friends and i haven't had or heard of one of these breaking/malfunctioning.

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to get transcend. here the one i ordered http://www.amazon.co..._ecc_rvi_cart_1
Thx for all the help guys. I report back with if it works and how well.

P.S. Decided just to pay the extra 5 dollar for class 10 cause by the time i was ready to order from newegg the deal stopped and the price rose up from 15$ to 20$

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i can't speak highly enough about the transcend cards. i've abused the crap out of my main 8gb class-6. i did a few complete emulator compatibility lists using it. i've beta tested probably somewhere around 1,000 files on it. works like a champ! i wouldn't buy anything else for my flash kits.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZpMdTnZkpRQ?si=Q2MI4UugoSYifY7G Neat