Android Considering the Xperia Play

Intimidator88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will alot of psx games be released for this phone cause id love to play final faantasy on the go with phone and the gamepad is so much better then using touch screen controls

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully in the future once sony finally decides to do their big unveiling of the playstation suit

as it is now you only get Crash Bandicoot, and then you can download FPSe or PSX4Droid and play the games from those emulators (they aren't near as good as sony's emulator, which is of course protected)

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I only played Castlevania SOTN on FPSE but I can tell you that it runs perfetcly. I'm sure that's also the case for most PSX games. Maybe you don't have to wait for Sony to play FF
wink.gif

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got me an Experia Play last weekend and it has been a great experience so far. I installed tons of roms on it and the 8 and 16-bit games play perfectly. I have some issues with N64-games and haven't been able to get mame running at all, but I assume it's just a matter of putting some time in it.

The thing I love about the Android-platform is that it is open out of the box. As someone who refuses to let restricted systems into his house (I mean, I modded all my consoles just for the hell of it) it is perfect: this is a phone for tweakers, by tweakers.

So all in all I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
Wabsta said:
SpaceJump said:
Wabsta said:
SpaceJump said:
I'm considering getting an Xperia Play. I currently have a jailbreaked iPhone 4 and have some questions how these two compare:

- First of all the Xperia Play runs Android, so is there some sort of "Jailbreak" for it available similar to the iPhone's?

- I know of emulators for Android phones. Are these free? Do they use the Xperia Play's "controller"?

- How good are the Android phones user interfaces compared to iPhone's? Are there free apps for e.g. ebay like iPhone apps?
- You don't have to, you can just install illegaly downloaded apps.
- They are not free, and the latest android has some awesome hardware button mapping, that can be used in emulators.
- The interface is better, and fully customizable with the right apps (make it look like wp7, like iphone, or even a really custom design).
- Yes, most apps like, the ebay app, and stuff, are free.
But aren't the apps signed to run only on the device you downloaded them to?
Nope.
smile.gif
There's a very easy and non-intrusive DRM that us developers can choose to implement in 5 minutes. Stops all piracy until someone goes and disassembles and cracks your app which doesn't happen often and is really hard to do if you obfuscate well.

The Xperia Play is OEM unlockable out of the box. They basically have a way for you to root/"jailbreak" it officially. They're the company outside of Google to do this. Sony Ericsson is being so different from Sony Computer Entertainment in the homebrew/hacking/etc. regard.
I'm guessing you don't implement this?

Sorry man, i was broke

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would you guys recommend this phone? Planning to upgrade within the week (Currently using a Droid Eris). Stuck between an Iphone 16 Gig and this (About the same price for both).

I love the Gamepad, and all the Emulation wonders, but i have been hearing some negatives about the phone.

On the other hand, i dont want to be a hypocrite for owning an Iphone.....

Discover

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I would go for the Xperia Play in terms on mobile gaming, but the iPhone also hold lots of potential for great Apps on the Appstore.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dgwillia said:
So would you guys recommend this phone? Planning to upgrade within the week (Currently using a Droid Eris). Stuck between an Iphone 16 Gig and this (About the same price for both).

I love the Gamepad, and all the Emulation wonders, but i have been hearing some negatives about the phone.

On the other hand, i dont want to be a hypocrite for owning an Iphone.....

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ordered mine earlier. Cant wait
happy.gif

Already grabbed all of the Emulator's from SlideMe while they were still free. (I think today was the last day :wtf:, so i guess i lucked out)

On a side note, would you have to root the Xperia to install Non-Market apps? (I heard you have to do it for some Phones but not others)

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, and you're referring to AT&T phones, however AT&T is now retracting that policy mainly due to the Amazon App Store (which needs sideloading to work)

to enable sideloading just go the the homescreen, press menu, then click settings > applications, then check the unknown sources box

P.S. sideloading = loading apps from *appname*.apks from your SD card, doesn't matter where you get them from

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator02 said:
no, and you're referring to AT&T phones, however AT&T is now retracting that policy mainly due to the Amazon App Store (which needs sideloading to work)
Nice; I don't live in the USA so this doesn't affect me in the slightest, but it's good that they're finally getting rid of that rather stupid policy.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, just got home with my Xperia. Few quick questions

1. Is there a way to manually change the time? For some reason it has AM instead of PM, and it wont let me manually change it (The option is greyed out)

2. Where exactly do you purchase the PS1 games? (If they are even out, i checked VCast and didnt see anything), just curious of what the selection is

3. Also, why is so much of the SD Card taken already O_O. My Droid Eris barely used a Gig of an 8 gig card when i got it, this thing was down to 5.6 something when i had just opened it.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgwillia said:
Well, just got home with my Xperia. Few quick questions

1. Is there a way to manually change the time? For some reason it has AM instead of PM, and it wont let me manually change it (The option is greyed out)

2. Where exactly do you purchase the PS1 games? (If they are even out, i checked VCast and didnt see anything), just curious of what the selection is

3. Also, why is so much of the SD Card taken already O_O. My Droid Eris barely used a Gig of an 8 gig card when i got it, this thing was down to 5.6 something when i had just opened it.
1. don't have my phone with me right now, but i don't know why manually changing the clock time is grayed out (maybe uncheck the sync with your service provider box)

2. There aren't any others... yet

3. that doesn't make any sense, the phone won't just load random data onto the card, it's whatever the apps you installed put on there and whatever you had on there before

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: