Controller works in emulators and Steam but not in other games

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
How do people use controllers in games without Steam?

Windows recognizes my controller and all functions. Emulators work. Steam works.

But what about games that do not use launchers?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Windows recognizes my controller and all functions. Emulators work. Steam works.

I use ds4windows, x360ce and joy2key for different controllers. Windows sucks but there is nothing better...

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I use ds4windows, x360ce and joy2key for different controllers. Windows sucks but there is nothing better...
Thank you.
Are they for specific controllers? Sounds like Playstation and Xbox controllers. Joy2key emulates keyboard and mouse inputs. I will test it. I´m actually using a Wii Classic Controller via adapter.

I remember a time before launchers like Steam. Controllers usually just worked (unless Windows had trouble with them due to missing or outdated drivers). What happened...

Edit: I have tested Joytokey. It works in most Windows applications except games... :D
Solution: Run as administrator.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You can add your games to the Steam launcher (the ?’Add non-Steam game’ menu item) to take advantage of Steam’s better controller detection.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the game does not have controller support, you have to use xpadder/joy2key or equivalent, as the game itself was built to not use a controller.

of the games that DO have controller support, are seperated in two categories, more like 2 and a halfish:

games that use the old standard for controller layout, that was multiplatform, Direct Input (Dinput), its a very generic loadout that is flexible to getting mapped to based on how many inputs you have available on a controller. you typically will see dinput used in older games that predate xinputs creation. to convert dinput to xinput, software like x360ce(any dinput), DS4Windows(dualshock controller), Wiinupro(wii u pro controller)

Xinput, is a newer standard, where controllers are mapped specifically to microsofts Xbox 360 Controller. generally speaking, most modern games with controller support use xinput. to map Xinput to Dinput, you can use software like Xinput Plus

the half is some game devs allow both Xpinput and Dinput. For instance, fighting games on PC recognize both inputs typically. Emulator devs also typically allow all controllers by design and flexibility.

Steam's controller API has the Dinput/Xinput conversion built into it, as it allows remapping optionally, and automatically remaps xinput to dinput and vice versa if a game is launched through big picture mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok