Hacking Question Couple questions setting up emunand

roisuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I now have some extra time to spend quarantining I figured I'd finally set up the emunand/emummc for my switch and decided on following this guide https://switch.homebrew.guide/emummc/windows

But before I dive into this I have some questions I'm hoping can be cleared up, also just to clarify I'm running latest Kosmos, atmosphere 9.20 sysnand. Have also kept switch in airplane mode with auto rcm and been doing updates via ChoiDuJourNX.

1) Would this guide be a reliable and up to date method to follow?

2) After setting up the emunand I'd like to restore a clean sysnand but the only backup I've made was before I hacked my switched, back on 4.1.0. Would I need to downgrade my switch first before restoring this? After checking hekate it says "Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 5 - 0".

3) On my cfw sysnand I'd been installing games onto my 256 gb SD card; what would be the best method of transferring my games to the emunand? I was planning on backing up saves on Checkpoint before restoring to a clean sysnand, then reinstalling games on emunand and restoring saves through Checkpoint. Would this work?

4) Once emunand is set up, since it's a hidden partition will I no longer be able to modify directories from PC with an SD card adapter? I'm assuming that any changes to the visible directories will only be reflected on the sysnand?

5) Finally if I plan on updating the firmware from this point, would I only go through updating the emunand?

kassio69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1) Would this guide be a reliable and up to date method to follow?

This is a good guide, but, believe me, I tried using Disk Genius and it didn't work.
You can achieve better results using MiniTool Partition Wizard to format / resize partitions, and dd for Windows to flash the NANDs.

Or ... I strongly suggest you to follow my tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/multipl...restoring-a-clean-nand-for-online-use.562188/

2) After setting up the emunand I'd like to restore a clean sysnand but the only backup I've made was before I hacked my switched, back on 4.1.0. Would I need to downgrade my switch first before restoring this? After checking hekate it says "Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 5 - 0".

A clean 4.1.0 backup is perfect because you can use PegaScape, so you will no longer need to inject payloads to start the system.
Restore this backup before anything else, and then follow the tutorial.
As you can check at https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses, 5 is the expected number os burnt fuses for 4.1.0.

3) On my cfw sysnand I'd been installing games onto my 256 gb SD card; what would be the best method of transferring my games to the emunand? I was planning on backing up saves on Checkpoint before restoring to a clean sysnand, then reinstalling games on emunand and restoring saves through Checkpoint. Would this work?

If you follow my steps you will have two emuMMC, and will use your real sysnand only for starting Hekate.
As usual, you have to choose whether to install games on the SD card or on a specific emuNAND.
Even if the games are installed on the SD card, you can only access them from the NAND you were using when they were installed.
PS. I use a 512 GB SD card.
For saved games: Checkpoint backup > restore nand > Checkpoint restore (on the dirty emuMMC)

4) Once emunand is set up, since it's a hidden partition will I no longer be able to modify directories from PC with an SD card adapter? I'm assuming that any changes to the visible directories will only be reflected on the sysnand?

I don't think you should ever modify the files on the NAND itself. The data you insert / remove from the SD card is related to Hekate, CFW, homebrew, etc.
You'll have a directory called "emuMMC" on your sd card, but again, these are files that shouldn't be modified.
You can access the hidden files of any NAND from applications like Goldleaf.

5) Finally if I plan on updating the firmware from this point, would I only go through updating the emunand?

If you restore a clean NAND you can update it using Nintendo servers.
Then I advise you to make a new backup and delete the old one, as surely N has some control over your firmware updates.
I believe that you can't, for example, restore and update your 4.0.1 backup again in the future.
If you restore a dirty NAND (or your clean emuMMC gets dirty) you must update using ChoiDujourNX, otherwise you will be banned.

Last edited by kassio69,

roisuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Appreciate the reply! Quick question though, back when I dumped the clean 4.1.0 nand I was on reinx and used the built in toolkit to create the dump. Inside the "dump" folder I have the following files: boot0.bin, boot1.bin, combinerScript.bat, combinerScript.sh, and nand.bin.00 all the way up to nand.bin.09. Is there anything that I'd have to do to this "dump" folder and files in order to make it compatible with restoring in hekate?

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you have a clean nand backup before started using cfw I would restore the clean nand backup then create emunand backup.

when updating sysnand update official Nintendo but have the payload inject ready and run it before it has a chance to boot to avoid fuse count burnt.

and yes do another backup after updating so u have a clean backup with that firmware so u can use that for next updating process

use choi when updating with emuand

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Appreciate the reply! Quick question though, back when I dumped the clean 4.1.0 nand I was on reinx and used the built in toolkit to create the dump. Inside the "dump" folder I have the following files: boot0.bin, boot1.bin, combinerScript.bat, combinerScript.sh, and nand.bin.00 all the way up to nand.bin.09. Is there anything that I'd have to do to this "dump" folder and files in order to make it compatible with restoring in hekate?

update your sd files if you haven't go here to grab all update files and select kosmos defaults then feel free to select things you wish to add to it
http://sdsetup.com/console?switch

with nand backup all you have to do is

create a folder structure like this
sd root/backup/38d95246/restore/

place the following files from your backup
boot0.bin,boot1.bin and nand.bin.00 all the way up to nand.bin.09.

boot into hekate and go to Tool>restore>boot0/boot1 then rawbin,bin

Last edited by pcwizard7,

roisuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I actually was successful in creating emummc, and got to the process of attempting to restore the clean 4.1.0 sysnand. I was able to successfully restore BOOT0 and BOOT1 but then ran into complications at the "eMMC RAW GPP" step. I attempted to join the 9 nand.bin files with the combinerScript.bat file and mistakenly assumed the file was finished merging. When I attempted to restore with this file which was a little over 1GB in size, I got the error about a "Size of the SD Card backup does not match eMMC's selected part size", so I powered off the switch and read later that I restoring with the multiple nand.bin files is also an option and decided to try again. Only this time my switch boots with a solid blue screen. Is it permanently bricked?

roisuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man this is turning into a real headache, I had to dig around and find my handy rcm jig and was able to boot back into hekate payload. I did what you said and placed all the nand.bin files in the restore directory, now I'm getting this error "Error (0) file not found backup/1b1bee30/restore/rawnand.bin.00. Aborting...Failed!". Would it be better if I switched to an exfat card that could handle the merged rawnand.bin file and restore it from there? Or should I try renaming the files as rawnand.bin.00, rawnand.bin.01... and so forth, then try restoring?

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
To help setting up the emuMMC i followed this video.
Very simple guide to sd card setup and worked perfectly.

HTH

kassio69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man this is turning into a real headache, I had to dig around and find my handy rcm jig and was able to boot back into hekate payload. I did what you said and placed all the nand.bin files in the restore directory, now I'm getting this error "Error (0) file not found backup/1b1bee30/restore/rawnand.bin.00. Aborting...Failed!". Would it be better if I switched to an exfat card that could handle the merged rawnand.bin file and restore it from there? Or should I try renaming the files as rawnand.bin.00, rawnand.bin.01... and so forth, then try restoring?

Just rename your files (nand.bin.00> rawnand.bin.00) and so on..

Follow my tutorial..
You can turn off your Switch, no need to inject payloads, play online, install homebrew / NSP.
All at once! And it's not that difficult..
Good luck.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just rename your files (nand.bin.00> rawnand.bin.00) and so on..

Follow my tutorial..
You can turn off your Switch, no need to inject payloads, play online, install homebrew / NSP.
All at once! And it's not that difficult..
Good luck.

yes, I missed that, yes its expecting files named "rawnand" so you just need to rename them all

and once you have 4.1 restored u need to use hekate using stock mode to boot it

when updating sysnand update official Nintendo but have the payload inject ready (remember donble/pc/phone + Jig) and run it before it has a chance to boot to avoid fuse count burnt if u care about this.

and yes do another backup after updating so u have a clean backup with that firmware so u can use that for next updating process and repeat

use choi when updating with emuand

roisuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pcwizard7 said:
if you have a clean nand backup before started using cfw I would restore the clean nand backup then create emunand backup.

So after I restore my clean 4.1.0 sysnand and boot to make sure it's working, are you saying to then select "Create emuMMC" in hekate? I already created an emuMMC earlier that's on 9.20. If I did "Create emuMMC" again, would it overwrite that and bring down the firmware to 4.1.0? Sorry for the confusion..

kassio69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The problem with this forum is that, in general, we have people giving confused explanations to people who seem to be dynamically reading messages, without really paying attention to what is written.

So after I restore my clean 4.1.0 sysnand and boot to make sure it's working, are you saying to then select "Create emuMMC" in hekate? I already created an emuMMC earlier that's on 9.20. If I did "Create emuMMC" again, would it overwrite that and bring down the firmware to 4.1.0? Sorry for the confusion..

Yes, if you select "Create emuMMC" it will problably overwrite your current emuMMC.

If you only want one emuMMC you have to decide if you want it to be clean or dirty: it will depend on the state of the restored backup (clean / dirty) or the state of the sysnand from which it will be created in "Create emuMMC" (clean / dirty).

If you want to play online AND homebrew/NSP you need two emuMMC and then you should follow this tutorial:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/multipl...restoring-a-clean-nand-for-online-use.562188/

Last edited by kassio69,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

well you should only use emunand for cfw only and avoid using any Nintendo online services, which is why you have emunand to keep your sysnand clean and can be used for Nintendo services

so you don't have to redo your emunand unless you care to have both nands as clean as possible but you can just update the firmware in emuand from 9.2 to 10 using choinx

another thing to consider you can access a private server to play online games as alternated to Nintendo servers
https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-switch-lan-play.520912/

kassio69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well you should only use emunand for cfw only and avoid using any Nintendo online services, which is why you have emunand to keep your sysnand clean and can be used for Nintendo services

so you don't have to redo your emunand unless you care to have both nands as clean as possible but you can just update the firmware in emuand from 9.2 to 10 using choinx

Why don't you read the damn posts before replying??
Your nonsense answers prove that you didn't even read this topic's title correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1