ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which covers of songs do any of you think are better (at least in your personal opinion) than the original versions?

(Originals on the left, covers on the right)
Two that come to mind for me:

Wasn't sure which the original actually was for this one, but the one I hear played on the radio sounds a bit different, despite apparently being from the same person.

Oh, and the sexy dancing had nothing to do with it.

Your opinions?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

lol wait need to do originals.

EDIT: Can't be arsed, can't sift through the self involved douchebags doing acoustic versions of songs.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could I forget these? Two of the better covers that were released as singles, big hits too.

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Wasn't sure which the original actually was for this one, but the one I hear played on the radio sounds a bit different, despite apparently being from the same person.

The ORIGINAL version from 1986 sounds like this:

A few years later, around 89-91, the producer DJ Eren took the vocal track and put it on top of Frankie Knuckles' track "Your Love" to come up with this version, which is a lot better known:

It was re-released in the late 90s, and probably the most famous of the next batch of remixes is the "Now Voyager" mix, which is the one Florence's cover is based on:

So really, her cover is really a cover of a remix of a remix of a song...

...and just to complicate things further, the XX produced this majestic remix/reinterpretation of Florence's cover, which IMHO is superior to her version (but -- again IMHO -- none of them are better than DJ Eren's Candi Staton/Frankie Knuckles bootleg):

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BionicC said:
Gaydrian said:
Alex221 said:
How Can I Post Videos?
CODE[youtube][youtube]KaKmsgsoQ3s[/youtube][/youtube]

KaKmsgsoQ3s is taken from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaKmsgsoQ3s

Ian News! AMAZING
yaywii.gif

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
As if things weren't complicated enough, there's a really nice chilled four-to-the-floor house re-edit by Renaissance Man that's worth checking out. A re-edit of a remix of a cover of a remix of a remix of a song... my head hurts and I'm not entirely sure it's the Stella that's at fault.

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I only found out the other day that this was a cover and it BLEW. MY. MIND.

Even though Blondie's version is virtually note-for-note (which is usually one of my pet hates; why bother covering something if you're not going to do it in a different style?) it just feels like it has so much more energy than the original. The original is a great song but Blondie's version is definitive IMHO.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BionicC said:
Alright, I only found out the other day that this was a cover and it BLEW. MY. MIND.

Even though Blondie's version is virtually note-for-note (which is usually one of my pet hates; why bother covering something if you're not going to do it in a different style?) it just feels like it has so much more energy than the original. The original is a great song but Blondie's version is definitive IMHO.
Well I think its ok to have note for note when the sex of the singer is different. The Beatles did some great covers of girlband songs but the difference in voice made them.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BionicC said:
A few years later, around 89-91, the producer DJ Eren took the vocal track and put it on top of Frankie Knuckles' track "Your Love" to come up with this version, which is a lot better known:
That's the one that they've been playing on the radio.

Sounds frightfully awful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Deal :evil: