Oldies crt tv

liquidraiden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone knows of a reasonably priced sanrio (or tbh any other goofy looking crt tv) please link below! i want to start gaming on one

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CRTs are heavy and easily damaged so not many will ship them anywhere.

Your best bet then becomes go to every flea market, garage sale, computer fayre, car boot sale, church rummage sale, estate sale, charity shop, local electronics dump/recycler, pawn shop and such you see (maybe even ask people), local selling groups online (might involve using facebook) and borderline hoarding neighbours and relatives (those born before about the late 60s will often stash old things in sheds, cellars, warehouses and attics) and hope other gamers have not got there before you. At this point you are probably 15 years too late for the good times there, 10 at the very latest -- everybody upgrading to flatscreen, plasma and "HD" meant such places were filled with them. Still kicking myself/wishing I had the space for the litany of 720i res stuff with component in I passed up during such times.

Do also bear in mind many old consoles can be converted to VGA (original xbox being among the more notable on the easier path, N64 component/N64 RGB for harder stuff), and while today everybody wants to get their old consoles spitting out HDMI then originally the term people used was VGA box so you can also get devices to take composite in and turn that into VGA. Also also if you find yourself with a really old one then find a VCR as well -- other than macrovision annoyances then they can turn scart (granted that is not much seen in the US), composite and such inputs into RF*. Equally if you want audio you you can often tap any onboard speakers.

*related as well if you fancied cutting some things down a bit

Reactions: Xzi

liquidraiden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CRTs are heavy and easily damaged so not many will ship them anywhere.

Your best bet then becomes go to every flea market, garage sale, computer fayre, car boot sale, church rummage sale, estate sale, charity shop, local electronics dump/recycler, pawn shop and such you see (maybe even ask people), local selling groups online (might involve using facebook) and borderline hoarding neighbours and relatives (those born before about the late 60s will often stash old things in sheds, cellars, warehouses and attics) and hope other gamers have not got there before you. At this point you are probably 15 years too late for the good times there, 10 at the very latest -- everybody upgrading to flatscreen, plasma and "HD" meant such places were filled with them. Still kicking myself/wishing I had the space for the litany of 720i res stuff with component in I passed up during such times.

Do also bear in mind many old consoles can be converted to VGA (original xbox being among the more notable on the easier path, N64 component for harder stuff), and while today everybody wants to get their old consoles spitting out HDMI then originally the term people used was VGA box so you can also get devices to take composite in and turn that into VGA. Also also if you find yourself with a really old one then find a VCR as well -- other than macrovision annoyances then they can turn scart (granted that is not much seen in the US), composite and such inputs into RF*. Equally if you want audio you you can often tap any onboard speakers.

*related as well if you fancied cutting some things down a bit

oh thats so cool! thank you i didnt know that. yeah i wish my parents held onto this stuff seeing that it interests me so much to pick them apart. would you consider it worth it to go out to get one or would it be better to just use my pc and emulators / roms?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am generally very much in favour of emulation -- any controller, savestates, cheats, no region worries, easy ROM hacks, rewind, fast forward, filters, network play, no expensive flash carts, no expensive video mods, no troublesome audio chips, possibly better than stock latency... what is not to love? Never particularly had any fondness for hardware even though my books go back to the 1700s, though for me 80s flame retardant (the smell you likely associate with such things) reminds me of work so take that how you will, and you can probably find some similarly vintage plastic far more easily if you wanted that. I will not knock hardware though as a concept.

At this point I would not go out with the intention of finding such a CRT screen, especially if you want to pay "thank you for restoring some shelf space" prices (everybody has ebay search these days it seems and this retro boom is nearing its... possibly 20th year at this point). You might however find an older flat screen but with all the nice for retro games inputs (I still see those around the place reasonably frequently, though even those you are paying up for). http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ should be linked at this point.
As far as my little list in the earlier post then many around here* have a list of such sources though and will take a weekly, or more, wander around them to find things as you do get lucky occasionally. Though in my case I also like tools and old books so there are further reasons to go round them.

*nowhere in the US is likely particularly good but hope you are not in New York, LA, Washington (state or DC), the geeky parts of Texas or Oregon as you will also have the hordes of turbo nerds to deal with there thrifting and yard sailing that all seem to be up with the sun, completely devoid of shame and the ability to drop what they are doing when a notification drops.
Makes for some entertaining videos though

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt

Reactions: Eunice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway