Hacking Question Custom Screenshots on Switch?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,060
  • Replies 8
D

Deleted User

OP
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/885694921696354305
I might be a bit late, but this guy on Twitter was able transfer saves from one console to another, get custom screenshots etc. (I heard some hackers say that once you get access to your Switch saves, the security is a joke.) But for now, how would I get custom screenshots on my Switch? I have edited a screenshot and it just tells me that it is corrupted or damaged or something. I just wanna test something. I use paint.net and it retains the image info, but it doesn't work on switch. (It works on PC and every device I try.)

D

Deleted User

OP
I know that you cannot make an exploit out of this, I wasn't asking, I just wanna try out custom screenshots.

jakerman999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TL;DR: It's not a simple hex edit :(

The Switch won't look at an image unless it has the same timestamp as one that's already in memory. This means you either need to use an editor that doesn't alter the timestamp, or change the timestamp back after editing. This is fairly trivial.

But meeting that requirement doesn't mean the Switch will display the image yet. It now makes a copy of the image, makes the timestamp 0, hashes that copy and compares the hash to another that was saved with the timestamp that the image matches. The hash that is being compared against was generated from the screenshot taken at the timestamp. So how do we get our image to have the same hash as the one in memory(the original)?

Option A) hash collision. The new image has extra data added or some parts altered slightly to make the hash the same as the stored one. This is hard, as the nature of a hash means we can't use a formula to figure out what we need to change/add, it's a guess and check which means brute force. This borders on impossible as to figure out the hash we need to know what number the Switch uses to make the hash. Solving this takes breaking the Switch's crypto once and then a bruteforce for every picture you want to import.

Option B) change the hash in memory. Run the new image through the Switch's hash function, and overwrite the old hash with the new one. I believe this is what @SciresM has done, although I can only speculate how. PegaSwitch might be able to do it, or it might be a product of smhax, or some other unannounced [noun].

Option C) patch the hash check to always return true, or the image display to not care about a wrong hash (signature patching iirc). This probably requires TrustZone or at least kernel level code execution. Not likely.

Option D) ???

D

Deleted User

OP
So making the edited photo's properties the same as the Switch, as in the same date the screenshot was taken on the switch and making sure it is the same file size?

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Well, first of all. You can Edit posts and don't need to make multiple posts.
How its currently work only SciresM can say more to it.

Dann_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
TL;DR: It's not a simple hex edit :(

The Switch won't look at an image unless it has the same timestamp as one that's already in memory. This means you either need to use an editor that doesn't alter the timestamp, or change the timestamp back after editing. This is fairly trivial.

But meeting that requirement doesn't mean the Switch will display the image yet. It now makes a copy of the image, makes the timestamp 0, hashes that copy and compares the hash to another that was saved with the timestamp that the image matches. The hash that is being compared against was generated from the screenshot taken at the timestamp. So how do we get our image to have the same hash as the one in memory(the original)?

Option A) hash collision. The new image has extra data added or some parts altered slightly to make the hash the same as the stored one. This is hard, as the nature of a hash means we can't use a formula to figure out what we need to change/add, it's a guess and check which means brute force. This borders on impossible as to figure out the hash we need to know what number the Switch uses to make the hash. Solving this takes breaking the Switch's crypto once and then a bruteforce for every picture you want to import.

Option B) change the hash in memory. Run the new image through the Switch's hash function, and overwrite the old hash with the new one. I believe this is what @SciresM has done, although I can only speculate how. PegaSwitch might be able to do it, or it might be a product of smhax, or some other unannounced [noun].

Option C) patch the hash check to always return true, or the image display to not care about a wrong hash (signature patching iirc). This probably requires TrustZone or at least kernel level code execution. Not likely.

Option D) ???
Hmm, doesn't it actually hash it on the fly instead of obtaining the hash from memory? Pretty sure it says so on switchbrew and hashing it is as easy as zeroing out the makernote and hashing it with a private key that has already been leaked by sciresm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4