"Damaging" to have the PS5 vertically, what?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Work at a repair shop, this is actually correct, but fairly rare. We've seen it mostly with consoles that are moved around a lot after being played for a bit (room to room, other places etc), the warm liquid metal seeps through the little barrier and can get under the APU and will kill your console. Some people it's happened to have claimed they never move it, so could happen when just stationary, but it'll vary.

The first two PS5 revs actually have a lot of design flaws, the worst being SSD controller and RAM both have a tendency to fail due to excessive heat as well. The 3rd mobo revision is much smaller, and may fix some issues but it hasn't been out long enough to say.
Well, I laid mine vertically now. Still money I don't want to risk. I was thinking on getting a third party plates with direct vents to the fan but I'm gonna guess that won't work well horizontally.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The article seem to make sense in general. That said, I have a launch day PS5 and it's always been vertical, but never physically disturbed from the solid surface it's on since placing it there, and I've had no performance/overheating issues or failures.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
For every mass produced good there is always a percentage of defective unities, usually this number it is way greater than 1 in a million, and PS5 sold many million already.

Chances are that a manufacture flaw (totally expected by the total sold as I said) is likely the case and not the orientation.

That said, there is nothing to worry about and, if Sony is honoring the warranty, there is nothing to blame on them.

Reactions: xoINARIox

RyoX9

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience of repairing ps5's (mostly hdmi and over heating) vertical use caused half of apu to dry up and liquid metal sinking at the bottom half of apu, and the adhesive stickers or tape whatever thats being used to contain the liquid metal degrade with time which makes it difficult to contain liquid metal after a certain amount of time, i would recommend not to use it vertically.

Reactions: pustal

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have mine 2 years now in the same place, vertical, and without problems. Still I hate how I have no options to let the console show me the temperature.
Pretty sure the problem is quite niche though and we don't know how the consoles were treated.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interesting debate, I thought PS5 was designed to stand vertically for maximum airflow cooling 🤔, like Xbox360 in his time.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Interesting debate, I thought PS5 was designed to stand vertically for maximum airflow cooling 🤔, like Xbox360 in his time.
Not really. Should be designed for both orientations but if you want to maximize airflow, horizontally is better, as there is air outtake where the vertical basis is, while the plate re-routs air intake from the sides to the back.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have mine 2 years now in the same place, vertical, and without problems. Still I hate how I have no options to let the console show me the temperature.
Pretty sure the problem is quite niche though and we don't know how the consoles were treated.
Wow, it's already been two years since PS5 was released, but still feels like the PS5 generation has yet to fully begin. That is, having its own games rather than rely on PS4 titles.

Hopefully PS6 has a better launch than PS5 did.

Sorry about the off-topic.
Post automatically merged:

Aesthetically and visually, PS5 looks better standing vertically than horizontal, just like the 360.

The way discs are inserted into the PS5 looks kinda weird, though.

Reactions: Maupiti

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not really. Should be designed for both orientations but if you want to maximize airflow, horizontally is better, as there is air outtake where the vertical basis is, while the plate re-routs air intake from the sides to the back.
There are two fans “opposed”. How can it be better horizontal than vertical 🤔 ? I saw thermical comparisons between Horizontal and vertical positions in heavy games, and vertical is the best choice

Wow, it's already been two years since PS5 was released, but still feels like the PS5 generation has yet to fully begin. That is, having its own games rather than rely on PS4 titles.

Hopefully PS6 has a better launch than PS5 did.

Sorry about the off-topic.

Aesthetically and visually, PS5 looks better standing vertically than horizontal, just like the 360.

The way discs are inserted into the PS5 looks kinda weird, though.
“Real games for PS5” will come, no doubts about that 😉

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think about it, nearly every single desktop CPU is kept in a vertical position for its whole life so this would be a widespread issue in the PC community for those using LM. I think it's more likely to be incorrect re-application by users rather than a factory problem.

except generally Desktop CPU's dont use liquid metal for cooling.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
except generally Desktop CPU's dont use liquid metal for cooling.
You’re right on this point, but “honestly “, do you think that Sony could have “messed up” the “stand “ of the PS5 ? The console was designed to be standing up, and yes, using liquid metal can give issues, as well if the console is standing “flat “, gravity works on both ways 🙄🙄🙄
Gravity doesn’t give a “s***” “ about being up or down
Let’s go check some basics physics

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’re right on this point, but “honestly “, do you think that Sony could have “messed up” the “stand “ of the PS5 ? The console was designed to be standing up, and yes, using liquid metal can give issues, as well if the console is standing “flat “, gravity works on both ways 🙄🙄🙄
Gravity doesn’t give a “s***” “ about being up or down
Let’s go check some basics physics

oh no im sure they did, sony doesnt give a crap about us, but i also think what alot of other people said, which is that its a very non specific issue and shouldnt be treated as an absolute certainty

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
There are two fans “opposed”. How can it be better horizontal than vertical 🤔 ? I saw thermical comparisons between Horizontal and vertical positions in heavy games, and vertical is the best choice

“Real games for PS5” will come, no doubts about that 😉

No, there is one single fan that crosses the console. The fan airflow is rerouted to the back and down thanks to the faceplates. If you have it vertically, then the down outtake is blocked and is pushed to the back as well.

Can you share where you saw those comparisons?

Reactions: Maupiti

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, there is one single fan that crosses the console. The fan airflow is rerouted to the back and down thanks to the faceplates. If you have it vertically, then the down outtake is blocked and is pushed to the back as well.

Can you share where you saw those comparisons?
The fan is located at the top of the console when the console is vertical. Hot air rises due to thermodynamic principles, so there is no need to push hot air out of the bottom of the console. The face plates have nothing to do with routing the air flow when using a radial fan. It is the the internals and location of the biggest vents that will dictate where the air enters and exits. The power supply is located at the bottom of the console when vertical and pretty much blocks any air from flowing out when either vertical or horizontal. So in the case of the ps5 the intake is mostly from the front/top when vertical and the side without the disc drive and exits the back of the console. That's why the holes on the bottom are a lot smaller. This is only a cool air intake for the power supply due to cooler air being lower than warmer air. It's also why most pc's now also have their power supplies mounted on the bottom of the case.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
The fan is located at the top of the console when the console is vertical. Hot air rises due to thermodynamic principles, so there is no need to push hot air out of the bottom of the console. The face plates have nothing to do with routing the air flow when using a radial fan. It is the the internals and location of the biggest vents that will dictate where the air enters and exits. The power supply is located at the bottom of the console when vertical and pretty much blocks any air from flowing out when either vertical or horizontal. So in the case of the ps5 the intake is mostly from the front/top when vertical and the side without the disc drive and exits the back of the console. That's why the holes on the bottom are a lot smaller. This is only a cool air intake for the power supply due to cooler air being lower than warmer air. It's also why most pc's now also have their power supplies mounted on the bottom of the case.
Remove the plates and you see a drop of 5°C average because the plates are adding routing to both intake and outtake airflow. Yes, there is flow running through the middle but the air also crosses from one side of the bulk to the other, because you have closed plates the air is pushed from and to around the plates.

You can also see some flow filmed here from the bottom with it horizontally and the stand removed from it:

Last edited by pustal,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Humm, looks like I was misinformed 🤔 :
But honestly, could find only 2 french sites claiming this , so ? 🤔 FUD ? 🤔

Attachments

• 7CDBE55A-3040-4764-8664-5B68CA0A4201.png
    7CDBE55A-3040-4764-8664-5B68CA0A4201.png
    983.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by Maupiti,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Remove the plates and you see a drop of 5°C average because the plates are adding routing to both intake and outtake airflow. Yes, there is flow running through the middle but the air also crosses from one side of the bulk to the other, because you have closed plates the air is pushed from and to around the plates.

You can also see some flow filmed here from the bottom with it horizontally and the stand removed from it:

I wouldn't say it's due to the routing of air though but I'd say the plates act as insulators and an extra layer that the heat has to transfer through. You would need to know the thermal conductivity or watts per meter squared value of the material and I bet you'd find the same value. It's like heat transfer through a multilayered wall with the more layers you have and the material used the higher or lower the internal temperature will be. Ambient room temperature or the temperature of the surroundings will also play a major role in this as well.

I'm not saying it's the best cooling solution and there is the possibility that adding vents on the one plate on the side above fan intake may help improve cooling slightly if your ambient room temp is cooler. If doing this though I would suggest dust filters as it will only increase the amount of dust that collects on the inside and thus negate any cooling that you are attempting to achieve.

Last edited by fringle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1