Android DamonPS2 PRO (PS2 Emulator For Android)

Random__Dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a little digging in the APK.
The Android Java code is packed using Qihoo "DexJiagu" into a shared library to prevent easy decompilation.
They are using the PCSX2 game database with its configs, plus a supplemental one with a handful of hacks to make games work.
Looking at one of the libs, it states that something currently crashes on "Linux 64-bit running in 32-bit mode", which may explain the lack of Shield TV compatibility.
Incidentally, sideloading it to a Shield TV from your phone should work assuming you've purchased it and are signed into the same account on both devices.

At this point, I can't tell if this is a fork of PCSX2 or Play!, or something written entirely from scratch.
The only thing tying it to Play! is the fact that Play! uses a file called "games.db". There's a file in DamonPS2 that lists that as an asset, but it doesn't seem to be in the app.
Also, the actual core of the emulator seems to be compiled with an older version of the Android NDK, one with GCC 4.8. Currently, Android uses some version of clang, which is found in one of the other shared libraries.

I don't have Ida and I don't really feel like doing any deeper digging so I'm not going to attempt to examine the shared libs further.
It actually uses source code from PCSX2

Voland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In past years this emulator has matured pretty well. In version 4.1.1 it runs a lot of games fullspeed on devices with snapdragon 860 and 8gb of ram, and in October they are going to release v.5.0 which as they claim will be on par with latest pcsx2(time will tell). With this “shitty” emulator as everyone calls it i could enjoy fully translated Tales of Destiny DC on cheap poco x3 pro. It sounds bad that those guys violated licensing rules, use stolen the code of pcsx2 and so on. But today it’s the only emulator for android that let you play many ps2 games on cheap 300$ phones fullspeed with no graphic glitches. As end user i get only benefits from this emulator, as i don’t have time to sit in front of monitor for many hours playing games nowadays. And a price for paid version of this emulator is just hilarious, in my country it’s 6$ equivalent - a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Voland,
Reactions: yuyuyup

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In past years this emulator has matured pretty well. In version 4.1.1 it runs a lot of games fullspeed on devices with snapdragon 860 and 8gb of ram, and in October they are going to release v.5.0 which as they claim will be on par with latest pcsx2(time will tell). With this “shitty” emulator as everyone calls it i could enjoy fully translated Tales of Destiny DC on cheap poco x3 pro. It sounds bad that those guys violated licensing rules, use stolen the code of pcsx2 and so on. But today it’s the only emulator for android that let you play many ps2 games on cheap 300$ phones fullspeed with no graphic glitches. As end user i get only benefits from this emulator, as i don’t have time to sit in front of monitor for many hours playing games nowadays. And a price for paid version of this emulator is just hilarious, in my country it’s 6$ equivalent - a cup of coffee.
You necro-posted about this? It doesn't matter how cheap you think it is, if it's making profit from other people's work and skill. It's theft and fraud which both illegal. 1 cent given to these a-holes is 1 too many. If they want to make money from a ps2 emulator on android, they need to code one from scratch like Play!.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You necro-posted about this? It doesn't matter how cheap you think it is, if it's making profit from other people's work and skill. It's theft and fraud which both illegal. 1 cent given to these a-holes is 1 too many. If they want to make money from a ps2 emulator on android, they need to code one from scratch like Play!.

I'd also like to point out that these assholes have been using their ill-gotten gains to fucking register trademarks for emulators they don't own with the USPTO, and a good number of them were actually approved (thanks braindead USPTO, ironically China's PTO shot them down): https://uspto.report/company/Xu-Lei

(may need to click "Status" next to the search box):
https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch
https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

Anyone supporting DamonPS2 at all is 100% tangibly harming the rest of the emulation community at large. Absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited by bobmcjr,

Voland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Those smart assess just seized an opportunity, calculated demand, which is high for portable gaming these days and did what others have been telling is impossible. If creators of emulator whose code has been stolen would port it to android, then there would be no demand for damonps2, because PCSX2 would be better alternative, but there is no good working emulators beside damonps2 on android. As a customer i will choose working product which is available right now and will pay money for it, instead of waiting for free alternative when developers will decide to make it. Ok, i understand pcsx2 originally were made free by original devs in their spare time, but what stops them from opening patreon for making money for it(i suspect Dolphin progressed faster because of patreon, because developers became more motivated), instead of being high and mighty telling user base “we do it in our spare time, don’t like it - go away” just build market relations with community, you get money and deliver product for it. I’m sure people would gladly make payment to original PCSX2 team for the android port, but there is no movement in this direction. That is why such projects as damonps2 appear, where there is market share with high demand there will always appear some motivated entrepreneurs who’ll deliver product with any means possible.

p.s. necro-posted about this just because there are people out there who would be interested about the state of android ps2 emulation (which is almost perfect by now) . Not all people are awaiters for some free miracle, some will seize and opportunity to play ps2 on the go and have fun today, not in 10 years in the future.

Last edited by Voland,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Supporting the cons behind this in any way is pretty horrible. If you want to use their shitty (stolen) emulator, please don't pay them for it.
I'm gonna pay for it to encourage PCSX2 devs to release the real deal for Android.
EDIT: no way I'll pay for it with the internet check, I'll get the cracked version.

Last edited by yuyuyup,
Reactions: Voland

Voland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Supporting the cons behind this in any way is pretty horrible. If you want to use their shitty (stolen) emulator, please don't pay them for it.
If there is cracked latest version 4.1.1 of damonps2 somewhere feel free to share the link with everyone. Otherwise your advice is ill-equipped. Free version of damonps2 is locked beyond reason and unplayable with those restrictions that’s why i pay. And also paying those guys for damonps2 approaches sooner release of damonswitch, which they claim to release by the end of this year(and i believe they will, they see demand, have money motivation). I have switch, but hell, carrying it around is not as convenient as phone. So i would gladly pay for their new product when they deliver it, because again there are no alternatives, where developers would be as motivated as those guys. The reason is simple, first world countries developers are afraid of C&D as soon as they claim money for emulated product, Chinese guys’ hands are not tied and they are not afraid.

Last edited by Voland,

Voland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Giving someone else money isn't going to encourage the PCSX2 developers. That's some warped logic.
I’m sure people would give money to PCSX2 team if they would accept it and promise to deliver product. But team seem to be doing emulation as hobby, so that is why money flow to other guys instead, who gladly accept it and deliver product to their customers, simple market transaction.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna pay for it to encourage PCSX2 devs to release the real deal for Android.
Entitled people like you who have no patience or respect for emulator development or the community at large are why DamonPS2 was able to get away with stealing code, profiting from it, and more recently successfully filing fraudulent bullshit trademarks from their ill-gotten gains, which will inevitably take resources away from actual emulator development to fight.

Supporting DamonPS2 and their practices in any way actively hurts everyone.

You are the problem.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Entitled people like you who have no patience or respect for emulator development or the community at large are why DamonPS2 was able to get away with stealing code, profiting from it, and more recently successfully filing fraudulent bullshit trademarks from their ill-gotten gains, which will inevitably take resources away from actual emulator development to fight.

Supporting DamonPS2 and their practices in any way actively hurts everyone.

You are the problem.
pcsx.png

The only way I can support PCSX2 is by playing it for free on PC, rather than pay for Damon. That's not a great motivation to avoid paying for the best way to run ps2 games on android. It's not a matter of patience, it's a matter of hoping and wishing. I see no other way to motivate PCSX2 to create an android version, but I'm open to suggestions.
EDIT: I won't pay for it because internet check

Last edited by yuyuyup,
Reactions: Voland

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m sure people would give money to PCSX2 team if they would accept it and promise to deliver product. But team seem to be doing emulation as hobby, so that is why money flow to other guys instead, who gladly accept it and deliver product to their customers, simple market transaction.
You do realize that the programing language for PC and Android is different, right? That being said, when and if the PCSX2 team get 100% compatability and feel their emulator is close enough to perfect they MAY look at the programing language to port it officially. I don't know this for fact but just my feeling. I don't mind waiting personally as I prefer emulation on PC. Mobile screens are too small for my old eyes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: YES MY BIRTHDAY WAS FIXED