ROM Hack deleting unnecesary languages?

jesus96

Pinkboi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
hi i was wondering if theres any way to delete unnecesary languages of already installed games to save space, i found some cases where games like bravely defauly could save like 1gb with just letting the english language,so is there any tutorial of how to do this?,also this works with updates?,since games like yokai watch includes exagerately huge updates who are just more unnecesay languages

sorry for my bad english and also if this is not the place the ask this

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Depends on the game in the case of Yokai Watch each language gets an archive/sound what I've done is delete them and in the code.bin replaced reference to them and pointed at English, so for example anything say "_fr" I'd look for that in the code.bin and change it to "_en" normally all language references found near each other.

It's been awhile since I've looked into such a thing but it's possible.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's best to keep those files handy, because not all games can be shrunk like that. they may have a checksum or do a check on available files. I'm basing this on the way it's done on the ps3. the tool to make games smaller actually backs up the original files and creates 0KB files in their places in case a check is done to see if the files are present. there is kinda a problem with those 0KB files as it might skip or fail to ftp if transferring in that manner. I know that it fails with the 360, possibly ps3 too. I'm not sure on the 3ds.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Historically the process was known as ROM ripping (and yes it gets confusing when people rip an optical disc) but we have not really seen it employed much since the early days of the DS (here is me in 2005 with a thread on the matter -- https://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=457 ) or PSP. This is mainly as historically languages were a lot of the game but today 3d models, video files and the like take up the bulk of the game -- despite a few advancements in text engines (or at least such advancements becoming commonplace) 100000 words/game scripts take up about the same amount of space. On top of this where games might have once been "multi5" in Europe they tend to be monolingual today if they do contain lots of voiced audio (while music takes up less than video it is still not nothing).

Three main approaches, and an extension of the concepts.

1) You delete files. If the game never accesses them, never accesses them in any way you care about (while we may debate about having not properly played a game if I never defeat the end boss then fewer will make the case if I never stay for the credits, or maybe watch them online) or has decent "can't find file, won't just crash" coding then win here.
2) You relink the files. No tools I am aware of for the Switch do this, indeed PC iso formats and the PSP are going to be the only ones I can link to so as you can do it with simple clicking as opposed to manually going through files/file systems changing pointers. Anyway the idea is if deleting a file is going to make it crash or at least behave badly you find a suitable replacement and rather than just overwriting it (50 megs is still 50 megs and if you have 5 copies needed...) you point at the original location for all instance you want to repoint.
3) You build minimal files or employ compression. A basic relink might get you something but if the game only needs the header and an utterly basic example of the file (say an audio file needs the audio header and a sample length of silence then that might still be significantly smaller than the smallest audio track). The devs might not have bothered to employ compression, or decided the increased load times were too great a cost where you might value the space more than a few seconds more loading. How easy this is varies with the system; the PSP could do it trivially at iso level (see CISO and Umdgen, also want umdgen for relinking), various aspects of the DS can do it more easily as it is more or less there in all and other aspects of the DS would be a full bore ROM hack to handle, for the GBA it would likely be pointless at game level owing to a lack of file system but at flash cart level it was done by some even if the gains were mostly the same as ROM trimming). More advanced than this would be reducing quality of textures, audio quality (if some audiophool dev or their customers demanded uncompressed dolby or similar, which we did kind of see on the PS3 for a hot moment, then change for perfectly acceptable MP3 or something and that changes sizes dramatically. I tend not to see this unofficially outside of CD based system emulators allowing MP3 for audio tracks or maybe a handful of people going down the extreme low settings path (half life and its sequel had some fantastic examples here, though quake is probably the earlier example) but devs do it all the time (see downloadable/optional texture packs for some games).

The extension comes in splitting the game. For the DS this was most notably done with Sonic Rush wherein you would make a ROM play one half of the levels, then delete the ROM, carry the save and play the other half of the levels. Others have done this for games where only the minigame is wanted or if it is a game collection then only an individual game is wanted.

As far as game updates then as far as I am aware they are just another archive format so you can pull them apart and poke at the innards much the same in the end, don't know how much is outright file replacement and how much is a delta.

In the end though this is current year so it is likely easier to just buy a USB drive (whether you have to also change custom firmware I don't know, and don't much care) or buy a bigger SD card. Failing that you could call it a pirate syndrome preventative measure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel