• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Dems/Republicans - Is there anything you LIKE about your opposing party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We argue politics a lot here. Even on topics that it has nothing to do with. Practically inescapable, these days.

Usually it just devolves into personal attacks and regurgitated rhetoric.

Maybe there is common ground, though.

I wanted to see if there was anything that people on either end of the political spectrum actually liked or respected from the opposite side. Maybe we can find things that we agree on, and build from there so that everyone isn't just automatically dismissed or hated for not agreeing with whatever personal politics you have.

I like that the Democrats are fighting for clean energy, and are environmentally conscious enough to care about the planet we are leaving to future generations. I believe in getting us off of petroleum, coal and other fossil fuels as much as possible, and would prefer to see MUCH more of our budget going towards making this a sustainable nation and a better example for the world.

Say something nice about the party you are not affiliated with. It's harder than you think.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We argue politics a lot here. Even on topics that it has nothing to do with. Practically inescapable, these days.

Usually it just devolves into personal attacks and regurgitated rhetoric.

Maybe there is common ground, though.

I wanted to see if there was anything that people on either end of the political spectrum actually liked or respected from the opposite side. Maybe we can find things that we agree on, and build from there so that everyone isn't just automatically dismissed or hated for not agreeing with whatever personal politics you have.

I like that the Democrats are fighting for clean energy, and are environmentally conscious enough to care about the planet we are leaving to future generations. I believe in getting us off of petroleum, coal and other fossil fuels as much as possible, and would prefer to see MUCH more of our budget going towards making this a sustainable nation and a better example for the world.

Say something nice about the party you are not affiliated with. It's harder than you think.
Truthfully for me it doesnt matter if the person has slightly different beliefs than I do. I just want someone who clearly votes for what they think if right over what their party thinks is right.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Truthfully for me it doesnt matter if the person has slightly different beliefs than I do. I just want someone who clearly votes for what they think if right over what their party thinks is right.
I agree with your point. However, if the person has a problem with my beliefs or sexuality, then I wouldn't want them to be a president of my country such as what I have now.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with your point. However, if the person has a problem with my beliefs or sexuality, then I wouldn't want them to be a president of my country such as what I have now.
Oh I agree. I more just mean that if the person on the side I support is corrupt, and the person on the other side genuinely cares. I will pick the side that cares.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As a Democrat, I think it's admirable how brazenly courageous the Republican party is at looking like fools. Like, they take stupid, put it on a pedestal, take pictures with it, melt it down into a badge of honor, and wear that shit-show proudly. That takes balls.

They're not afraid to make complete asses of themselves for what they believe in. They don't care that their own party is eating each-other alive. I love that republicans have the courage to put on their clown shoes every day and act foolish in congress for the entire world to see. It's hilarious, and I admire the guts it takes to not care.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of my BF's were [married w/children] republicans

Ralph.JPG

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Democrat, I think it's admirable how brazenly courageous the Republican party is at looking like fools. Like, they take stupid, put it on a pedestal, take pictures with it, melt it down into a badge of honor, and wear that shit-show proudly. That takes balls.

They're not afraid to make complete asses of themselves for what they believe in. They don't care that their own party is eating each-other alive. I love that republicans have the courage to put on their clown shoes every day and act foolish in congress for the entire world to see. It's hilarious, and I admire the guts it takes to not care.
You missed the point entirely.

You used this just as a platform to attack the right.

You did not understand the assignment.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You missed the point entirely.

You used this just as a platform to attack the right.

You did not understand the assignment.
TL;DR

They're okay with looking stupid, and I admire their commitment to it.

Read that last part again, as many times as you need.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR

They're okay with looking stupid, and I admire their commitment to it.

Read that last part again, as many times as you need.
I thought so.

Please find something else to do. There are people much better at bashing Republicans than you are. You simply aren't clever enough. But, you TRIED! And it was SO CUTE!

Still failed the assignment. Thanks for proving my point, bigot.

It's easy for you to talk shit. I challenged you to say something nice, for once. Told you it was harder than it sounded.

It's like that when you are a bigot.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, okay... Honestly tho... I have to give thanks where thanks is due.

I'm thankful Liz Cheney (A republican) was able to not go off the deep end and help the rest of us on getting to the bottom of the Jan 6th stuff during the hearings. She was incredibly respectful, and held the highest integrity of any republican I've seen today. Thank you Liz! :wub:

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm registered as Independent, but do vote mostly Dem as there aren't usually any Independents on the ballot. The problem with Dems is that they aren't progressive enough on most issues, so we don't get back to square one after Republican regressives spend four to eight years undermining the working class and governmental institutions. The problem with the Republican party is damn near everything. They don't even present policy platforms any more, but rather rely solely on imagined grievances, bigotry, and gerrymandering to keep them in office. Hard to find redeeming qualities in that, especially with so many Rs openly calling for Civil War these days.

Reactions: Jayro and KingVamp

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm registered as Independent, but do vote mostly Dem as there aren't usually any Independents on the ballot. The problem with Dems is that they aren't progressive enough on most issues, so we don't get back to square one after Republican regressives spend four to eight years undermining the working class and governmental institutions. The problem with the Republican party is damn near everything. They don't even present policy platforms any more, but rather rely solely on imagined grievances, bigotry, and gerrymandering to keep them in office. Hard to find redeeming qualities in that, especially with so many Rs openly calling for Civil War these days.
I can't find any redeeming qualities to them at all. Everything they stand for, I stand against. Mostly because it's all harmful rhetoric.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ask you for problems. I asked for nice things.

Say something nice about the right. You're pretty smart.

Reactions: Pseudo99

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ask you for problems. I asked for nice things.

Say something nice about the right. You're pretty smart. I think YOU might be capable of this. Show wittle Jayro how to debate.
If we're talking about the "right" in general terms, then I can respect Libertarians who believe in expanded personal freedoms for all, as well as upholding the constitution. It's the one niche of the political spectrum where horseshoe theory might actually apply, since if you give them a slight push away from Randian nihilism you can end up creating an Anarchist.

Unfortunately those are not the type of people in charge of the Republican party. We have to deal with anti-constitution authoritarians instead, who want to ban books, abortion, contraception, criticism of the fuhrer, and who knows what else.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We have to deal with anti-constitution authoritarians instead, who want to ban books, abortion, contraception, criticism of the fuhrer, and who knows what else.
And yet they want to remain the"party of freedom", when they take it away from others. This is why I find it impossible to say anything nice about them, when they shit on the entire planet.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're talking about the "right" in general terms, then I can respect Libertarians who believe in expanded personal freedoms for all, as well as upholding the constitution. It's the one niche of the political spectrum where horseshoe theory might actually apply, since if you give them a slight push away from Randian nihilism you can end up creating an Anarchist.

Unfortunately those are not the type of people in charge of the Republican party. We have to deal with anti-constitution authoritarians instead, who want to ban books, abortion, contraception, criticism of the fuhrer, and who knows what else.
This is why I have respect for you. We're closer on the political spectrum than you think. Just, for different reasons.

We're both Libertarians. I think you supported Ron Paul, like I did. I'd rather have an Independent than anyone else.

But, I am like Matt Stone and Trey Parker when it comes to my Libertarianism. I have reasons to like and to hate both the left and the right. I just hate liberals more than conservatives, and that's my admitted bias. I'm sick of thought police, and people trying to mandate and force things on others.

I support abortion, up to the day before birth. Never considered a potential life, or a clump of cells, to be a valid human being. A woman's body is entirely her own, and none of my business.

I support legalization or decriminalization of all drugs. All. If you want to fuck yourself up, go ahead. Just don't drive. Don't break the law to support your habit. But, smoke all the crack or weed you want. No skin off of my back. Just regulate and tax it, and then everyone benefits. Kind of.

On the flip side, I hate the Military Industrial Complex and despise how the GOP wants to overfund the military and try to make America the world police. I would rather see our military budget cut to 10% of what it is, and for all of that money to go back to public education, clean energy and affordable housing.

I hate guns and wish we had the same laws as Australia. NO ONE needs a gun. No one NEEDS a gun. I'd rather go back to a nice fistfight, then shake hands, and the winner buys the beer. Just because I refuse to refer to Lia Thomas as a woman doesn't mean I am a hard-core fascist Nazi Republican, as many Dems would like to believe.

The only books that shouldn't be made available to children are those featuring graphic sex acts, or glorifying violence or hatred. Save those for when they are old enough to understand. If their parents want them to have that material, cool. But maybe don't put it out there for elementary school students.

There is a balance to all of this. I hate liberals as much as you hate Republicans, but I think we at least have a modicum of mutual respect.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,
Reactions: Pseudo99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo