Hacking Derrek6 has the Wii U Boot1 Key!

Datalogger

Living the Dream
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the pastebin that was shown in another thread was true? Wow. It just sounded so... forced or just plain fake (specially the part of "he talked to the wrong people" makes it seem as if we were talking about drug here or even an Ant-man style type of story XD). Regardless, at least we now know a little bit more about the whole mess. Poor Hykem =\
If you had searched for those bytes in IDA, you would know that it was fake conversation.

One of them miss-typed the values, and the other one said "Oh yeah, I found them!"
That could not happen as he/she fat fingered the values and typed them wrong.

The "real" values to search in IDA are 0xF5A5A5A5, not 0xF5AF5A ,as was posted in the fake pastebin.
Just another epic fail from someone trying to salvage the damage that "Hyk**" did to the wii-U scene.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
If you had searched for those bytes in IDA, you would know that it was fake conversation.

One of them miss-typed the values, and the other one said "Oh yeah, I found them!"

The "real" values to search in IDA are 0xF5A5A5A5, not 0xF5AF5A ,as was posted in the fake pastebin.
Just another epic fail from someone trying to salvage the damage that "Hyk**" did to the wii-U scene.

Then why would @zecoxao acknowledge it? Coming from a dev and a big contributor such as him makes me skeptical... But yeah you do have a point.

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country

would you like a picture of it for proof?
http://i.imgur.com/cpggivg.png
http://i.imgur.com/RznLWKl.png

Last edited by zecoxao,

jaykureno

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: Datalogger

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
What you linked says F5A5A5A5, People have been saying this whole time that this is the real value to search. The one in the pastebin is F5AF5A which just doesn't exist in the code. What you posted points to that even further.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_error
The guy could've said the wrong hex but the other guy could've still found the values. Doesn't make it into a fake story.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Just if he/she accidently typed a wrong value by mistake, it doesn't mean it's an epic fail.

Humans do make mistakes, you know.

Datalogger

Living the Dream
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just if he/she accidently typed a wrong value by mistake, it doesn't mean it's an epic fail.

Humans do make mistakes, you know.
I'd agree with you except for one thing.

Not once, but in two different supposedly conversations between two supposedly different people, the same wrong hex value was used and in both cases, the "2nd" person said they searched in IDA and found it.

There is no way this was two people talking.

It was one person that did make a typo, but it didn't matter as he/she already knew where to go to.
I'll stick to my comment that it was all fake and not just a typo.
-dl

Last edited by Datalogger,
Reactions: brienj
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you can not do that because it's unreasonable. This is the extent I was talking about. Law isn't a program, it's applied by human beings with common sense.
Here's a more reasonable scenario: I distribute a perfectly legal, but encrypted file. This encrypted file just "happens" by "pure coincidence" to use the same encryption key as Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/ The NSA, I could legally share this key because there is no proof that I had knowledge of whose key it was.

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here's a more reasonable scenario: I distribute a perfectly legal, but encrypted file. This encrypted file just "happens" by "pure coincidence" to use the same encryption key as Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/ The NSA, I could legally share this key because there is no proof that I had knowledge of whose key it was.

Yes you absolutely could. And you wouldn't get sued for that. You would get sued if you publicly disclose the fact that you're using the same key.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. You've clearly educated yourself on the subject, but ultimately there's only so much either of us can really discern about a huge market like video games. I have my viewpoint, and you are certainly entitled to having your own.

As far as sales figures go, sales of games have actually dropped dramatically for Nintendo in recent years. Maybe because back in NES - N64 days, it was very hard to pirate? Sega Dreamcast was a piracy nightmare, and it certainly didn't help Sega. And Xbox certainly had abysmal game sales all around except for the Halo series. But like with most things in life, these are all due to a mix of various variables. For me to say that its due specifically to piracy, or even mostly to piracy, would be ludicrous. Similarly, saying that all games or most games pirated have skyrocketing sales because of their fame or infamy is also going too far. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
what hard to pirate? everyone i know around me got a copy box for those consoles, i actualy owned 3 snes copy boxes, they were as easy to get as it was to get rice here! wildcard was the most sold brand here... just most of those copyboxes were unstable at the battery so most of them are now at the scrap heap.

Last edited by Jack Daniels,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you absolutely could. And you wouldn't get sued for that. You would get sued if you publicly disclose the fact that you're using the same key.
Even if I never told anyone, I wonder if Nintendo's lawyers would try to sue anyway based on the fact that the statistical probability of that happening is almost 0. Anyway, I'm mostly joking. I understand the need to protect stuff like encryption keys, but calling them copyrighted is somewhat erroneous, it's more like confidential information.

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if I never told anyone, I wonder if Nintendo's lawyers would try to sue anyway based on the fact that the statistical probability of that happening is almost 0. Anyway, I'm mostly joking. I understand the need to protect stuff like encryption keys, but calling them copyrighted is somewhat erroneous, it's more like confidential information.
That is correct, and only people who sign an NDA with Nintendo can get in to any legal trouble by posting them.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People/ companies can sue for anything. With things like this the area is gray. One could flip a coin as to whether or not you would lose a lawsuit. Even winning could still cost a ton in legal fees. But seriously, why is it people have lost their balls? The fact you could get in trouble is what makes it so much fun. Take my signature as prime example. It's probably the only console breaking thing ever placed in public view. Yet it remains there in my signature. By now Nintendo knows what it is. ( for one they made it but its also encrypted by a wii u so fairly certain they have verified it as real.) For me its more for my own amusement to post highly valuable things but obscure them so I can laugh as others search for what is right in front of their face. So i guess you could post keys in a similar fashion to public. Nobody has bothered me and I am currently a registered Nintendo developer.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Activision sent the GZ Forum a cease and desist back in my days there and that didn't stop us. xD But it did slow things down quite a bit for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm living out of my car, he better make 600k a year