Desert Island RPGs

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am creating this page for discussion and listing of favorite RPG games. Please list your games using the following syntax:-

<Game Name> - <System (computer system/emulator used to play the game)> - <Description>

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
BortzANATOR
Who said that I'm limiting this to western RPGs? The Term DESERT ISLAND is a play on words to BBC's DESERT ISLAND DISCS (music you would listen to on a desert island). Desert island RPGs being RPG Games you would play on a Desert Island if you only had a select few. If you'd like to include any RPG regardless of region with a description of the system you play it on and a brief or detailed description of the game and why you like it that would be awesome. Thanks for your interest :)

Reactions: MassiveRican

sion_zaphod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll start the ball rolling with

Eye Of The Beholder - DOS/Amiga/Dosbox - Dungeon Hack and Slash (true brilliance)
Gauntlet 1 + - Multi Format - Top Down adventure game(debates on whether true RPG)
Knightmare - Atari ST - EOTB style rpg (has real nostalgia feeling for me as grew up with the tv show)
Final Fantasy 6/7/8 - Playstation 1/PSP/PS3/WIISX - (thats ff6 not ff3 for westerners) complete escapism and massive story involvement
Legend of Zelda - Nes/WiiVC - The first game in the series of massive Action RPG games and to some still the most challenging
Secret Of Mana 1/Seiken Densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) - SNES/ZSNES - Action RPG with unique controls for the time and an equally unique story. Caution.. Decisions made early in the game effect the long term experience.
Elite - Amiga - Space Colonization Epic. Considering EVE online popularity was ahead of its time.
Phantasy Star - Multi Format - Any fan of AD&D/Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy can appreciate this series of games.
Dragon Quest - Multi Format - Magic, Monsters, Wizards and Warriors true AD&D style.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Secret Of Mana 1/Seiken Densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) - SNES/ZSNES - Action RPG with .....
I'm sorry, but did you just call ZSNES an actual system in addition to the SNES? :rofl2:

As far as Desert Island RPG's..... I can't really think of any off hand (it's a rare genre), but I can think of a lot of RPG's with desert island segments in them. Guessing that's not close enough though?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry, but did you just call ZSNES an actual system in addition to the SNES? :rofl2:

Please list your games using the following syntax:-

<Game Name> - <System (computer system/emulator used to play the game)> - <Description>

Reading. :D

...and now for my list of actually good RPG series before my fellow Tempers spoil the list. ( ;O; )

Fallout 1, 2, 3, New Vegas (PC) - Interplay's, Black Isle's, Bethesda's and Obsidian's Post-Apocalyptic RPG's, cream of the crop, you haven't played a cRPG if you never played those.
Baldur's Gate 1, Tales of the Sword Coast, 2, Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal (PC) - another cRPG classic by Interplay and BioWare, this time set in the Forgotten Realms universe. If you haven't played those yet, this is the right time to start feeling bad.
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3 (Multiplatform) - BioWare's latest magnum opus space odyssey, one of the better Action RPG's of all time. Play it.
Dragon Age 1, 2 (Multiplatform) - Yet another BioWare game (this is going to be a trend here), this time set in the fantasy world of Ferelden. There's a third installment in the works as we speak, so you might want to play 1 and 2 if you still haven't and catch up.
Deus Ex 1, 2, 3, The Missing Link (Multiplatform) - a cyberpunk adventure by Ion Storm and Edios. The first game was a masterpiece, the second was... uhm... "considered a let down" to put it mildly... and the third was the embodiment of a phoenix rising from the ashes... and augmented at that.
System Shock 1, 2 (PC) - a space horror cross action RPG by The Looking Glass Technologies (later Studios) where you face off againts the almighty A.I - S.H.O.D.A.N. The first game might be hard to play for most contemorary players due to the archaic graphics, however the second received many fan-made face-lifts and is entirely playable to this day... and oh boy, is it good.
Diablo 1, Hellfire, 2, Lord of Destruction, 3 (Multiplatform) - A hack 'n slash classic by Blizzard. Most of those games are only playable on the PC, however the first one had a PlayStation release. There's not much to say about the series other than "you face off againts the devil himself" and "buckets of fun, but also monster blood... or your own, if you suck". Must-have for those who like the genre.
Gothic 1, 2, Night of the Raven, 3, Forsaken Gods, Arcania: Gothic 4, Fall of Setaffir (PC) - A timeless classic about a Nameless hero saving a fantasy world againts threats of all-sorts. JoWood's crown jewel, to be perfectly frank.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Bloodlines (PC) - Great games based on a popular role-playing game. As far as the plot is concerned, you lead a team of vampires across various timelines being a little angel or a right naughty devil, and it's buckets of fun.

Will add more if something crosses my mind.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just me thinking off the top of my head
Dragon Quest IV - Nintendo DS- Classic JRPG, Dragons, Quests, AND MOAR!!!!!
Mother- NES (GBA port & fan translation was superior)- JRPG set in a parody of America
Mother 2 (EarthBound)- SNES/Wii U VC - Same as Mother 1
Mother 3 - GBA (Fan translation required)- Different than the first two, but similar
Chrono Trigger - SNES/PSX/NDS/iOS - Do I really need to say ANYTHING
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - NDS - Only if your a Pokemon fan
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door- GameCube- Mario in a paper diagram adventuring
Super Mario RPG - SNES - Mario's first RPG made by the THEN legendary Squaresoft
Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time - Mario & Luigi in a comedic adventure through time itself

Reactions: sion_zaphod

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Best of the Best!

Ultima VII part1 & 2 (PC - Dos) a true gem in Lord British's crown
Ultima Underworld 2 (PC - Dos) the most immersive 1st person dungeon crawler ever
Planescape: Torment (PC - Win) Forget Baldur's Gate, this is Black Isle Rpg at its finest

Reactions: sion_zaphod

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll start the ball rolling with

Eye Of The Beholder - DOS/Amiga/Dosbox - Dungeon Hack and Slash (true brilliance)
Gauntlet 1 + - Multi Format - Top Down adventure game(debates on whether true RPG)
Knightmare - Atari ST - EOTB style rpg (has real nostalgia feeling for me as grew up with the tv show)
Final Fantasy 6/7/8 - Playstation 1/PSP/PS3/WIISX - (thats ff6 not ff3 for westerners) complete escapism and massive story involvement
Legend of Zelda - Nes/WiiVC - The first game in the series of massive Action RPG games and to some still the most challenging
Secret Of Mana 1/Seiken Densetsu 3 (secret of mana 2) - SNES/ZSNES - Action RPG with unique controls for the time and an equally unique story. Caution.. Decisions made early in the game effect the long term experience.
Elite - Amiga - Space Colonization Epic. Considering EVE online popularity was ahead of its time.
Phantasy Star - Multi Format - Any fan of AD&D/Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy can appreciate this series of games.
Dragon Quest - Multi Format - Magic, Monsters, Wizards and Warriors true AD&D style.

sonic 06

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: