Fullstack developer
OP
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! So it's that time! I've managed to archive a huge amount of Discord messages, to save for generations to come. I first became interested in text archives from Jason Scott's website TEXTFILES.COM, and have been trying to chip in and do my part to save the culture and online society in the age of the internet. As an ongoing archival effort, I have managed to archive the following amounts of data: 11,356kB (kilobytes) of text, and 334128kB (kilobytes, 5 hours+) of audio. If anyone wants their Discord server to be archived, send me a PM, or contact me via my website. Thanks for taking an interest in archival!

Program to download complete set of messages from a Discord server (breaks ToS if used): https://github.com/termermc/guildgrabber/

Last edited by Termer,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

IIRC, though, doesn't this violate Discord's ToS?

I mean, no one really cares about the ToS tbh, just thought it was something worth bringing up.

Termer

Fullstack developer
OP
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States

I mean, no one really cares about the ToS tbh, just thought it was something worth bringing up.
It does, but, c'mon, who cares. Discord can't even tell that I have my account hooked up to custom software. Plus, I wrote my archival software (which isn't the one I linked) to be invisible from the official client.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Without going and looking at them is it third party clients or archival they care about?

If it is either then I guess we have the reason I have to shake my head when people try to extol the virtues of the service at me...

To think we used to have open protocols, interoperability and self hosted servers for chat clients.

Termer

Fullstack developer
OP
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States
Without going and looking at them is it third party clients or archival they care about?

If it is either then I guess we have the reason I have to shake my head when people try to extol the virtues of the service at me...

To think we used to have open protocols, interoperability and self hosted servers for chat clients.
They're against custom clients, probably because if people start using open source clients they won't have as much data mining capabilities. I'm sure the archival of such data is prohibited as well, but who knows. I don't use the official client often anyway, I usually use one that I wrote myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it