Homebrew [DISCUSSION] The possibility of a 'FreeShop' on the Wii U

coolguy8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was pretty blown away when I realized what freeshop was on 3DS, pirating had literally never been easier. It was so easy that it almost made me feel bad, to the point of wanting to buy the games I was getting from it.
almost.

Reactions: HellHare_LanceLnc

HellHare_LanceLnc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was pretty blown away when I realized what freeshop was on 3DS, pirating had literally never been easier. It was so easy that it almost made me feel bad, to the point of wanting to buy the games I was getting from it.
almost.
That's the way to go. Nothing beats when you can test drive a game before buying so you will really know what you're buying.
There's too many people affording games and regret later...

If people have a way to test the game before buying (mostly game DEMOs really don't actually SHOWS how a game is. How lame) they can pass these deals and the industry will get to make better things to make us buy. It's a win win. :ha:

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nobody develops homebrew for the wii u anymore, i think what we got is what we left with
wth why? :huh: why did this happen? Nowadays, the only emulators for the Wii U are the RetroArch ones. We can't let that .6 extra GHz power of the Espresso just slide!

(If you are wondering about the .6 GHz thing, the Switch's x86 CPU is 1.0 GHz, and the Wii U's PPC Espresso is 1.6 GHz. I wonder what Xash3D or a Doom 3 Port could be like on a Wii U, w/o overclocking ofc)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Poor Wii U, Nintendo killed him and now the hacks / homebrew abandoned him (unlike Vita who had a revival thanks to the homebrews) I'm very upset about this, I think the Wii U is a fantastic console and incredible and I continue to use mine until today, the price difference of it for the Switch is glaring here in Brazil so Wii U ends up being an excellent option to play Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and other games without having to sell one of my kidneys to pay for a Nintendo Switch here.

I really hope there are still people interested in doing homebrew for him, a fantastic console so do not deserve to die the second time around.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wth why? :huh: why did this happen? Nowadays, the only emulators for the Wii U are the RetroArch ones. We can't let that .6 extra GHz power of the Espresso just slide!

(If you are wondering about the .6 GHz thing, the Switch's x86 CPU is 1.0 GHz, and the Wii U's PPC Espresso is 1.6 GHz. I wonder what Xash3D or a Doom 3 Port could be like on a Wii U, w/o overclocking ofc)

Lots wrong here

1: Clockrate doesn't indicate speed in any kind of meaningful way

2: The Switch is not x86.

blackkawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Lots wrong here

1: Clockrate doesn't indicate speed in any kind of meaningful way

2: The Switch is not x86.

The switch undocked have the same firepower as the wii u i believe? But is true, the switch have more firepower, event though is processor have a lower frequency. And the type of the processor is ARM, not x86

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch undocked have the same firepower as the wii u i believe? But is true, the switch have more firepower, event though is processor have a lower frequency. And the type of the processor is ARM, not x86

Wrong. Switch is more powerful, even undocked.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A stock Switch, undocked, has better performance on all shared games between WiiU and Switch. They're also massively underclocked out of the box for a combination of reasons, to include cooling and battery life.

Modded, which is a fair conversation considering where we are right now, the Switch can technically go up to the full teraflop it's capable of (the base model Xbox One is 1.3 teraflops, for comparisons sake). Videos have been shown of modded Switches running dynamic resolution games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 holding the games max supported resolutions (which I believe is 720p for both) pretty much at all times, compared to the frequent dips you see on an unmodded system. Doing this also removes slowdown from pretty much every game. Even docked mode doesn't use the full teraflop, again because of cooling.

The WiiU is close to a stock Switch in handheld mode, but when you start modding they're really not even playing the same sport, much less in the same league.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wrong. Switch is more powerful, even undocked.
I always found that the Switch in portable mode was not so superior to Wii U or that at least the difference was minimal

I've always wondered why Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze runs natively at 720p on Wii U but in the Switch runs at ''648p'' on portable mode.

Still, I do not think the hardware of the Wii U is so bad, games like Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad and Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X and FAST Racing are incredibly beautiful for your hardware, but working with PowerPC should not be the friendliest thing in the world, and that's why the Wii U ports were so ''porly'' ( Except for a few exceptions like Darksiders Warmastered, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 ( bad frame-rate, but better graphics than PS3 version ), AC4: Black Flag, Rayman Legends, ZombiU and Trine 2 ), I always had the impression that we never saw the real power of Wii U and that few developers really knew how to develop with it.

PS : Sorry for my english.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always found that the Switch in portable mode was not so superior to Wii U or that at least the difference was minimal

I've always wondered why Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze runs natively at 720p on Wii U but in the Switch runs at ''648p'' on portable mode.

Still, I do not think the hardware of the Wii U is so bad, games like Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad and Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X and FAST Racing are incredibly beautiful for your hardware, but working with PowerPC should not be the friendliest thing in the world, and that's why the Wii U ports were so ''porly'' ( Except for a few exceptions like Darksiders Warmastered, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 ( bad frame-rate, but better graphics than PS3 version ), AC4: Black Flag, Rayman Legends, ZombiU and Trine 2 ), I always had the impression that we never saw the real power of Wii U and that few developers really knew how to develop with it.

PS : Sorry for my english.

I truly do not care what you think. Specs are an objective thing. Power is an objective thing that can be measured. The Switch in all modes beats the crap out of the Wii U. The end.

For your non-objective measurement, look at the Wii U version of BOTW - which pushes the console to the absolute limit - compared to the far superior Switch version

Reactions: n00bsaib0t

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I truly do not care what you think. Specs are an objective thing. Power is an objective thing that can be measured. The Switch in all modes beats the crap out of the Wii U. The end.

For your non-objective measurement, look at the Wii U version of BOTW - which pushes the console to the absolute limit - compared to the far superior Switch version

I really do not think Breath of the Wild is a good game to use as an example, while the Switch received updates that improved the frame-rate, Wii U did not receive any of that (even because it was already a dead console, focus of Nintendo was the Switch, you can understand that she wanted to make the version of Switch look as good as possible), Nintendo even removed all the functions of the gamepad that the game would have to not make the Wii U version better in some aspect of the Switch and some say that the 2014 Build shown runs better than the build released on Wii U In addition, I always found that the version of the Switch was a '' hurried port to accompany the launch of the console '', is one of the only ports of the Wii U that does not run at 1080p and at launch it had such bad frame drops as for the Wii U that were packed with updates.

But in fact, in almost every aspect the Switch is superior in hardware to the Wii U, what I meant is that I do not understand why some ports have problems (like the DKCTF case I mentioned that runs at 648p in portable mode on Switch and native 720p on Wii U)

PS: Sorry for my english again.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do not think Breath of the Wild is a good game to use as an example, while the Switch received updates that improved the frame-rate, Wii U did not receive any of that (even because it was already a dead console, focus of Nintendo was the Switch, you can understand that she wanted to make the version of Switch look as good as possible), Nintendo even removed all the functions of the gamepad that the game would have to not make the Wii U version better in some aspect of the Switch and some say that the 2014 Build shown runs better than the build released on Wii U In addition, I always found that the version of the Switch was a '' hurried port to accompany the launch of the console '', is one of the only ports of the Wii U that does not run at 1080p and at launch it had such bad frame drops as for the Wii U that were packed with updates.

But in fact, in almost every aspect the Switch is superior in hardware to the Wii U, what I meant is that I do not understand why some ports have problems (like the DKCTF case I mentioned that runs at 648p in portable mode on Switch and native 720p on Wii U)

PS: Sorry for my english again.
This is an outright lie. BOTW on WiiU got every update the Switch got except for one that fixed a Switch specific glitch, and has seen frame rate improvements since it's launch. I'm 100% sure I've shown you the digital foundry video about this in the past, so why are you still spreading this lie?

Yep, here it is, you even replied to me having posted this video.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-wii-u-ports-on-wii-u.529733/page-2

So can we cut the crap, please? The WiiU absolutely got performance updates.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an outright lie. BOTW on WiiU got every update the Switch got except for one that fixed a Switch specific glitch, and has seen frame rate improvements since it's launch. I'm 100% sure I've shown you the digital foundry video about this in the past, so why are you still spreading this lie?

This is surely the most brutal dragging I've seen on GBAtemp to date. Well done.

The 'Build 2014' crap from that guy is particularly dumb - comparing a product years before release to the released product is not a useful thing. Particularly when you are comparing a carefully edited, cleaned up, PR-approved chunk of footage. Taken by a camera aimed a TV, possibly to avoid revealing the likely quite sub-720p resolution.

Last edited by blahblah,

pitterpatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That....is not the goal. The goal of the custom eShop on Pretendo is preservation and customization, not piracy. The idea stemmed from talks about hosting rom hacks of WiiU games and having a homebrew app download them, which then turned into the research going into the custom eShop on Pretendo. Could it be used for piracy? Yeah I guess considering it's OSS (by the way, side note, the custom eShop isn't even functional atm. It's just a PoC), so it can be forked and changed to work as a "freeShop". But please don't link Pretendo with piracy, that is not the goal.

hahaha, I'm sorry I couldn't even read this with a straight face

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

As I said in the previous post, none of the updates that Wii U received improved the frame-rate in any way ( Only bug fixes in most cases ), if you played this version you will surely know this, I even said that in the previous post what you posted below ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-wii-u-ports-on-wii-u.529733/page-2 ), I used the old version as a base of comparison to show that the Switch port was something hurried to accompany the launch of the console, being sincere to this day believe that the port of Breath of the Wild is far from being a game that uses the full potential of the Nintendo Switch hardware ( even with the updates ). About 2014 build, I know it's not fair to use a version as old as comparison, I just talked about it because it had gamepad features that were removed from the final version to favor the Nintendo Switch version and did not leave any advantage to the Wii U version.

( https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PolishedBlandBovine-mobile.mp4 )

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/92wttz/breath_of_the_wilds_gamepad_functionality_is_a/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75235958
https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/5w4i3n/wii_u_tablet_features_in_botw/

Last edited by Moon164,

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in the previous post, none of the updates that Wii U received improved the frame-rate in any way ( Only bug fixes in most cases ), if you played this version you will surely know this, I even said that in the previous post what you posted below, I used the old version as a base of comparison to show that the Switch port was something hurried to accompany the launch of the console, being sincere to this day believe that the port of Breath of the Wild is far from being a game that uses the full potential of the Nintendo Switch hardware. About 2014 build, I know it's not fair to use a version as old as comparison, I just talked about it because it had gamepad features that were removed from the final version to favor the Nintendo Switch version and did not leave any advantage to the Wii U version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/92wttz/breath_of_the_wilds_gamepad_functionality_is_a/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75235958

The video contradicts you, and the video is an actual analysis of frame rate, as opposed to nonsense posted on a forum. Wii U frame rate got better, slighty better. But the Wii U version wasn't going to majorly improve. The game was built for the Wii U and hastily ported to the Switch, built against the pre-release Switch SDK by developers that have never developed for the platform before. The Switch port is better in that the Switch is a more powerful system so it can 'brute force' acceptable frame rates out of this game, but the base 1.0 game on Switch had performance issues specific to the Switch port. Patches were issued to fix these problems. The Wii U version has performance issues due to the Wii U being too weak for this game. But frame rate borderline doesn't matter as the game runs (on the Wii U) at an unplayable sub-720p resolution. So what's the point? The Wii U is just too weak for BOTW.

'That were removed from the final version as to favor the Nintendo Switch version' is something you may believe, but it is not a factual statement based on things that are provable.

Last edited by blahblah,

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in the previous post, none of the updates that Wii U received improved the frame-rate in any way ( Only bug fixes in most cases ), if you played this version you will surely know this, I even said that in the previous post what you posted below ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-wii-u-ports-on-wii-u.529733/page-2 ), I used the old version as a base of comparison to show that the Switch port was something hurried to accompany the launch of the console, being sincere to this day believe that the port of Breath of the Wild is far from being a game that uses the full potential of the Nintendo Switch hardware ( even with the updates ). About 2014 build, I know it's not fair to use a version as old as comparison, I just talked about it because it had gamepad features that were removed from the final version to favor the Nintendo Switch version and did not leave any advantage to the Wii U version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/5w4i3n/wii_u_tablet_features_in_botw/
You're literally arguing with a freaking digital foundry video. I posted proof, you pulled words out of your ass. The frame rate improved in several places, I posted a video to prove it. If you don't like it, too bad. Facts don't change to suit your feelings. If you played both versions like I have you would know that the WiiU and Switch both saw improvements. And the Game Pad features were removed because they didn't make the game better, and detracted from the experience. I'm sure you'll argue with the developers themselves about it just like you argue with digital foundry about frame rates, though.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/zelda...wii-u-gamepad-features-were-cut-and-heres-why

“In doing our testing without the touch features we noticed looking back and forth between the Gamepad and the screen actually took a little something away from this type of Zelda game. Without the touch features it actually turned out to be a really strong gameplay experience. After more experimentation and testing out, we realized that this is the best way to experience the game. That’s how we ended up with the current gameplay style in the production version.”

kirikin92

Trophies
Website
www.filmaffinity.com
XP
Country
Spain
You're literally arguing with a freaking digital foundry video. I posted proof, you pulled words out of your ass. The frame rate improved in several places, I posted a video to prove it. If you don't like it, too bad. Facts don't change to suit your feelings. If you played both versions like I have you would know that the WiiU and Switch both saw improvements. And the Game Pad features were removed because they didn't make the game better, and detracted from the experience. I'm sure you'll argue with the developers themselves about it just like you argue with digital foundry about frame rates, though.

You don't even believe that about game pad feautures. It's obvious why they removed them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: How you doin xdq?