• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Disney fires ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ director over tweets about pedophilia & rape

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Idubbz ticks ME off. The only reason he's angry with the "joke police" are because his "jokes" (rightfully) get him in trouble all the time
Even if it is a purely self serving video (never heard of the guy so have no context for it beyond this thread) I am going to have to say it never the less details the problems with the "I want to be offended/outraged" set which here seem to be being dubbed the joke police.

Reactions: dAVID_

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it is a purely self serving video (never heard of the guy so have no context for it beyond this thread) I am going to have to say it never the less details the problems with the "I want to be offended/outraged" set which here seem to be being dubbed the joke police.
Except that's genuinely not what's happening here, this is straight-up intentional character assassination masquerading as the "joke police" issue

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh... wow, ok. I really, genuinely hope that Disney gets its shit together and re-hires Gunn, because that would be an absolutely tragic loss if not corrected

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except that's genuinely not what's happening here, this is straight-up intentional character assassination masquerading as the "joke police" issue

It might have started as a false flag of sorts but it was done in a world promoted by the joke police and seemingly perpetuated by them. I'll stand by the earlier remark.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might have started as a false flag of sorts but it was done in a world promoted by the joke police and seemingly perpetuated by them. I'll stand by the earlier remark.
It was mostly right-leaning outrage that sparked the issue because Roseanne Barr was fired for offensive tweets so there was a lot of push from that. Personally I think neither should have been fired. Society keeps pushing itself to where we can't even say anything. I just learned today about a Nascar guy that was fired because his dad said the n-word thirty years ago. Before said nascar driver was even born. That's scary. Like dictator scary.. :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Turns out Disney did not fire him, mostly just benched him for a while, by most accounts never seriously looked for a replacement and now he is back in.
Obviously I would have preferred it for Disney to walk away with both middle fingers raised to permanently offended, and still don't consider anything he did in any way troubling (other than "apologising" for it but he can do him if he wants), but still a bit amusing to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47577507

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turns out Disney did not fire him, mostly just benched him for a while, by most accounts never seriously looked for a replacement and now he is back in.
Obviously I would have preferred it for Disney to walk away with both middle fingers raised to permanently offended, and still don't consider anything he did in any way troubling (other than "apologising" for it but he can do him if he wants), but still a bit amusing to see.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47577507
Wow, I can't believe that sicko still has a place in Hollywood and it's like nothing ever happened

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, I can't believe that sicko still has a place in Hollywood and it's like nothing ever happened
Okay... Please inform me what he did, exactly.

All I got from the OP were a bunch of stupid tweets. Sure, if they were aimed at you personally I can see why you have this opinion, but if we were to banish everyone who sends out offensive tweets, I would suggest replacing a certain someone else first.

Reactions: Kioku and x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: