Displeased with people making accounts

nitrostemp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish to make this topic about the amount of people who join gbatemp only to not search and post topics about how they "think the wii is bricked" or "i cant seem to figure out how to use a usb loader" or "can you link me some wearz".
only to give little detail about their issue and not respect the help they receive from our helpful members.
and hopefully the admins can sort out the mass of users that keep popping up only to not use their account again.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
CannonFoddr said:
Hmm - how about these suggestions.

When a person signs up to post - before they can post they are redirected to the Search & have to do a Search first before the membership is accepted.

Also how about an 'membership auto delete'
- If someone has only done 1 post in say..... 3 months - the account is 'suspended', and the member get an email informing the non-use of their account.
They then have 30-days to 're-activate' their account, if they don't - the account is automatically deleted

The same could also be applied to infrequent posters - If they haven't posted for 3months (or perhaps 6Months) - they get a reminder email asking to 'reactivate their membership or risk getting deleted'

Surely it can be done - afterall Yahoo has (had) something like that on their Email

Some good ideas there, not too sure about the 1st one tho, the redirecting to search before membership is accepted, they will probably go through the motions of searching to bypass this and then create their topic,

but the rest of your suggestions are sound.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hatsu said:
Davess said:
CannonFoddr said:
Hmm - how about these suggestions.

When a person signs up to post - before they can post they are redirected to the Search & have to do a Search first before the membership is accepted.

Also how about an 'membership auto delete'
- If someone has only done 1 post in say..... 3 months - the account is 'suspended', and the member get an email informing the non-use of their account.
They then have 30-days to 're-activate' their account, if they don't - the account is automatically deleted

The same could also be applied to infrequent posters - If they haven't posted for 3months (or perhaps 6Months) - they get a reminder email asking to 'reactivate their membership or risk getting deleted'

Surely it can be done - afterall Yahoo has (had) something like that on their Email
Not a bad idea, Could free up Some space, +1^
Great!
yay.gif
+1

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll admit it's annoying, but the best way to deal with them is to just ignore them, or slap in a link to a thread with the answer or the search results and be done with it (if you have it bookmarked in the first place it doesn't take 2 seconds). I've read plenty of awful threads with people writing post after post bitching about the OP, and that's just a waste of everyone's time including your own.

The worst is when people gang up on someone who has actually tried but just doesn't understand or have a clue what they're doing. That's just harsh. There's a difference between laziness and just plain getting stuck, and I think some people jump to conclusions too quickly without actually reading what's going on.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
^ We have a winner.

Useless posts complaining about "noobs" are useless. Help or don't. Simple as that. This topic may be well-meaning, but it's also pretty useless as well. I have far more tolerance for people that are unfamiliar with the workings of the forum than those that complain about them.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of times the search function isn't that helpful. If a question hasn't been answered in a long time, old posts could be outdated, and sometimes there just isn't a suitable keyword for what you're looking for. With the level of expertise some of the forum members have, it takes very little time for them to either provide a simple answer or point the asker in the right directing.

As far as suspending accounts of inactive members, that sounds like a bad idea if the member was active at one point or another. They may just be busy with real life things but planning to come back some day. No sense making them start from square one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk