DK Rap composer excluded from Super Mario Bros. Movie credits

donkey_kong_super_mario_movie.png

A few days ago, the Super Mario Bros. Movie Twitter account announced that the iconic DK Rap from Donkey Kong 64 would be in the new film, with a short video of Seth Rogen (the movie's voice for DK) watching the game's opening sequence and deeming it "objectively one of the worst rap songs of all time." DK Rap composer Grant Kirkhope was initially excited at its inclusion, but has turned around after it was pointed out by James Burt on Twitter that the song is only credited as being "from Donkey Kong 64."

"I was really looking forward to see my name in the credits for the DK Rap, but alas as expected it's not there ........ fml," tweeted Kirkhope, who also called the situation "depressing."

It appears Kirkhope may not have been the only the composer excluded, however. While Koji Kondo is credited, he also worked with the film's composers to rework some of his own music. Some in-theater screenshots taken from users on Twitter show that the song "Attack! Fury Bowser!" is only credited as "from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury."

Despite some positive press leading up to its release, reviews for The Super Mario Bros. Movie have been lukewarm so far. Carrying a 54% and 49 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (albeit with a 98% and 78 from user reviews on those same sites) at the time of writing, the consensus seems to be that it lacks substance but will please fans with its easter eggs.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is in theatres now.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly, who even watches the credits?
It's not about people seeing the credits. How would you feel if you contributed to a major project but was never credited. And also, a lot of people watch the credits. Especially animated movie ones. Because in most cases, there's a bonus scene after. Either for fun or a peek of a possible sequel.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It's not about people seeing the credits. How would you feel if you contributed to a major project but was never credited. And also, a lot of people watch the credits. Especially animated movie ones. Because in most cases, there's a bonus scene after. Either for fun or a peek of a possible sequel.
Couldn't care less as long as I get paid.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was thinking Nintendo's army of lawyers couldn't possibly have missed this, but then the fault would probably lie with Illumination and not Nintendo.

Makes me think of the story of how the original Star Trek theme actually has lyrics written by Gene Roddenberry, and even though those lyrics are never used, he somehow managed to get royalties of some sort every time the theme was used.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
so they need to credit every single people who did every single little contribution to Mario franchise since 1989 (or 1982 or whenever)?

The guy that had the idea of putting karts racing on rainbows is on the credits too?

Reactions: Ligeia

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
so they need to credit every single people who did every single little contribution to Mario franchise since 1989 (or 1982 or whenever)?

The guy that had the idea of putting karts racing on rainbows is on the credits too?
Considering that movie credits get extremely specific, down to who provided catering, yes.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

No just the people whose work is in the movie is fair I think

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't see the problem since the original game (DK64) is mentioned... That's some inflated ego here.

So the movie "lacks substance" it seems ? How surprising :rofl2:

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Screams of another case of "Miyamoto's ego is law".

Shigeru always resented that Rare managed to make a more beloved game than he did with his own intellectual property. Of course he's still going to nurse that grudge, even now.
don't almost all movies pull this kind of shit? Not that that makes it OK but I highly doubt this has anything to do with miyamoto in any capacity.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wreck It Ralph 2 Rick Roll was a good one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg