Hacking DNS to block the updates of the switch!

Hondyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ve done it alright but that didnt work for me. It goes up to the point where it says its connected to the network device but not to the internet. Here it comes a couple of shots.
Does someone know how to make it work?

Attachments

• 1516006586318199747159.jpg
    1516006586318199747159.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 151600664616272921086.jpg
    151600664616272921086.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 556
  • 15160066721102142201030.jpg
    15160066721102142201030.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 684

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, here is the dns to block the updates of the switch. Sorry if I said ca too late because the firmware 2.1.0 is out. Well ... Here's the dns: 205.166.76.187 primary and secondary.

Hi friends!

To this day, Does this 205.166.76.187 DNS keep blocking the firmware updates still allowing online gaming?

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi friends!

To this day, Does this 205.166.76.187 DNS keep blocking the firmware updates still allowing online gaming?
Unfortunately it doesn't work :sad:

Please people, Is there currently a DNS that works with 4.1.0 FW in order to block FW updates and that the online game still works?

Because my router doesn't allow me add URLs to block FW updates :sad:

Last edited by megamanxx,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately it doesn't work :sad:

Please people, Is there currently a DNS that works with 4.1.0 FW in order to block FW updates and that the online game still works?

Because my router doesn't allow me add URLs to block FW updates :sad:
I use fiddler proxy. With the announcement that a userland exploit (nvhax) and a trustzone exploit (deja vu) exist on 4.1.0, I've started blocking updates again. I've just stuck with using fiddler proxy to block the updates.
The nice thing is I can still play online and access eshop while the firmware is still the latest. Which means I've been grabbing games from eshop that seem interesting in preperation for when I won't be able to when an update comes out. I updated past 3.0.0 because the game library just wasn't large enough or good enough for me to stay. But with the much larger collection I now have I should be able to wait on this firmware until we get sploits.

Reactions: peteruk

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, really? Trustzone sploit on 4.1.0? Why haven't I heard of this before?
Don't remember where it was mentioned but yes. 4.1.0 has one of the intermediary sploits to get there patched, but SciresM said they can likely find another to get to the Deja vu exploit.
Edit: somehow managed to leave the word "patched" out when I originally posted lol

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: SomeGamer

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I use fiddler proxy. With the announcement that a userland exploit (nvhax) and a trustzone exploit (deja vu) exist on 4.1.0, I've started blocking updates again. I've just stuck with using fiddler proxy to block the updates.
The nice thing is I can still play online and access eshop while the firmware is still the latest. Which means I've been grabbing games from eshop that seem interesting in preperation for when I won't be able to when an update comes out. I updated past 3.0.0 because the game library just wasn't large enough or good enough for me to stay. But with the much larger collection I now have I should be able to wait on this firmware until we get sploits.
Hello TheCyberQuake, thank you for your response :)

The problem with your solution is that it requires keeping the computer turned on every time you want to use the console, ¿true?. Anyway, this is a interesting method.

Personally, finally I will probably use a second router with the option to block URLs beetwen the Switch and the router.

Is it enough to block these five URLs in order to block FW updates and that the online game still works?

sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net
dauth-lp1.ndas.srv.nintendo.net
atumn.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
aqua.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net

Which particular URLs have you blocked?

Greetings :)

merlin555

Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

ON PC:
Go to this site:
https://signup.opendns.com/homefree
Register!
Then:
https://login.umbrella.com/?return_to=https://dashboard.umbrella.com
Goto Settings and fill your servers to block.
Nintendo Switch OR your Router:
Fill you primary and secondary DNS with:
----------------
----------------

IMPORTANT!
When you IP change, the OpenDNS dont work more.

Use for Firefox the Addon "Public IP Display"
Or:
For Windows:
http://www.myportablesoftware.com/myip.aspx

Attachments

• Zwischenablage01.gif
    Zwischenablage01.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: Dread_Pirate_PJ

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,

ON PC:
Go to this site:
https://signup.opendns.com/homefree
Register!
Then:
https://login.umbrella.com/?return_to=https://dashboard.umbrella.com
Goto Settings and fill your servers to block.
Nintendo Switch OR your Router:
Fill you primary and secondary DNS with:
----------------
----------------

IMPORTANT!
When you IP change, the OpenDNS dont work more.

Use for Firefox the Addon "Public IP Display"
Or:
For Windows:
http://www.myportablesoftware.com/myip.aspx
Oh, very interesting... when I have a little time I will try it.
Thank you.

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello friends,

What particular URL/s should be blocked in order to avoid the new 5.0.0 system update from the News feed section?

system-update.jpg
(click for enlarge image)

note: I'm on 4.1.0 and my region is Europe.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I read through 3 or 4 of the last pages to see if there was any info on blocking the 5.0 update and either I'm too tired to see it or I just plain missed it.

I'm currently using the blocking recommended in the Wii u community noob guide

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/

Haven't turned on my switch since beating Mario Odyssey 100% (#brag). Gonna turn off my Wi-Fi before I do.

What do I need to do to prevent my 4.1.0 from updating?

Last edited by Kafluke,

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello friends,

What particular URL/s should be blocked in order to avoid the system update from the News feed section?

View attachment 117449
(click for enlarge image)

It makes the calls for updates:

and for news, it makes the calls:

bcat-list.lp1.cdn.nintendo.net
bcat-topics-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net

and some other call:
consumer.lp1.npns.srv.nintendo.net (Not sure at all..).
bcat-data-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net (Not sure.. but so far most bcat URL is news so I assume this one is too).

I have a feeling that the `cdn` urls are region based (I'm in Canada so it makes sense my news is different URL than yours.. Not 100% sure though)..

I have blocked the updates URLs and eShop nag URL and it doesn't update (I can still access eShop and online play so far). I didn't block the news because I don't read it or visit it anyway.

Note: I am on 4.1.0 and the above works for me. I don't know about any other versions.

Go to Post #9 on this thread to see what to block (the post is missing the news URLs though).

Last edited by JustBrandonT,
Reactions: megamanxx

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It makes the calls for updates:

and for news, it makes the calls:

bcat-list.lp1.cdn.nintendo.net
bcat-topics-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net

and some other call:
consumer.lp1.npns.srv.nintendo.net (Not sure at all..).
bcat-data-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net (Not sure.. but so far most bcat URL is news so I assume this one is too).

I have a feeling that the `cdn` urls are region based (I'm in Canada so it makes sense my news is different URL than yours.. Not 100% sure though)..

I have blocked the updates URLs and eShop nag URL and it doesn't update (I can still access eShop and online play so far). I didn't block the news because I don't read it or visit it anyway.

Note: I am on 4.1.0 and the above works for me. I don't know about any other versions.

Go to Post #9 on this thread to see what to block (the post is missing the news URLs though).
Hello JustBrandomT, thank you!

I'm on 4.1.0 and my region is Europe.
Also, I wish I could continue playing online and also be able to continue using the eShop.

The fact is that I already had blocked those two addresses that you indicate ("beach" and "sun"), the question is that I wanted to know that if my syster by accident tap "Update Now" from News feed section (see image #4 in my previous post), the Switch would be updated since from this section it use another url to the known, or if on the contrary the update would not occur since it uses the same URLs as from "System Settings > System > System Update" option.

But I understand from your answer that I don't have to add any other URL since from the News feed section the same ones are used ("sun" and "beach"), true?

Thank you very much again friend and greetings :)

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello JustBrandomT, thank you!

I'm on 4.1.0 and my region is Europe.
Also, I wish I could continue playing online and also be able to continue using the eShop.

The fact is that I already had blocked those two addresses that you indicate ("beach" and "sun"), the question is that I wanted to know that if my syster by accident tap "Update Now" from News feed section (see image #4 in my previous post), the Switch would be updated since from this section it use another url to the known, or if on the contrary the update would not occur since it uses the same URLs as from "System Settings > System > System Update" option.

But I understand from your answer that I don't have to add any other URL since from the News feed section the same ones are used ("sun" and "beach"), true?

Thank you very much again friend and greetings :)

I just double checked by blocking ALL urls on the system except "ctest.cdn.nintendo.net" (this lets the device know you're connected to the internet.. I tried blocking it but it's kept saying not connect to the internet and the wifi symbol will NOT fill in, and pressing connect on any AP will show an error).

If I press "Update Now" from the "NEWS" section on the system (the one article that says "New system update available.. Hi everybody -- I've miss you blah blah blah..", it makes the following calls:

Host: aauth-lp1.ndas.srv.nintendo.net:443
Host: bcat-topics-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net:443
Host: sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443

It fails to update :D It turns out it's the same call as if you press update from the system settings menu. In other words, just block that sun.hac and beach.hac urls and you'll be fine (until nintendo changes it).

I am currently blocking:

btajktC.png

They don't all need to be blocked but I'd rather not send analytics and I'd rather not get nagged about things so I blocked those.

EDIT: I am still able to access the eShop. I haven't tried online play yet (I only have Zelda and Mario Kart and Beach Buggy Racing).
EDIT2: I am able to play Mario Kart Deluxe 8 online (They're not enforcing version checking atm). It makes a request to "beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net" url (which I blocked), and a few other urls which I didn't block.

Last edited by JustBrandonT,
Reactions: megamanxx

megamanxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just double checked by blocking ALL urls on the system except "ctest.cdn.nintendo.net" (this lets the device know you're connected to the internet.. I tried blocking it but it's kept saying not connect to the internet and the wifi symbol will NOT fill in, and pressing connect on any AP will show an error).

If I press "Update Now" from the "NEWS" section on the system (the one article that says "New system update available.. Hi everybody -- I've miss you blah blah blah..", it makes the following calls:

Host: aauth-lp1.ndas.srv.nintendo.net:443
Host: bcat-topics-lp1.cdn.nintendo.net:443
Host: sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443

It fails to update :D It turns out it's the same call as if you press update from the system settings menu. In other words, just block that sun.hac and beach.hac urls and you'll be fine (until nintendo changes it).
Fantastic to know this! Very grateful for your nice work man :)
Anyway, of course, we will try not to tap "Update Now", but knowing this now, there is more peace of mind.

I am currently blocking:

btajktC.png

They don't all need to be blocked but I'd rather not send analytics and I'd rather not get nagged about things so I blocked those.
I am currently blocking:

atumn.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net

I think I'll also block atum.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net like you.
Interesting what you comment about the analytics, maybe I also end up blocking it.

EDIT: I am still able to access the eShop. I haven't tried online play yet (I only have Zelda and Mario Kart and Beach Buggy Racing).
Yeah, I can also still access the eShop and download from there without problems.

EDIT2: I am able to play Mario Kart Deluxe 8 online (They're not enforcing version checking atm). It makes a request to "beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net" url (which I blocked), and a few other urls which I didn't block.
Yeah, I am able also still to play Splatoon 2 online without problems, and Oh true, It will be a shame when version checking and enforcing system update to be able to continue playing online occurs since I don't want to stop playing online, so if necessary, I will sadly be forced to update the console if there is no any solution to avoid it.

Thank you very much mate for all your interest and help :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-