Do "good" and "bad" people actually exist?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 16,633
  • Replies 121
  • Likes 1

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
i will say a bad/evil person is someone who will hurt other people for pleasure. or for non basic human requirement needs. like for example you would kill an person just to get their phone

Reactions: Subtle Demise

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
new-african-rare-earth-mine-to-start-production-by-year-end.jpg

Rainbow Rare Earths (LON:RBW), which had a spectacular debut on the London Stock Exchange in January, has cut the ribbon at its Gakara mine in Burundi, and said it expects to start producing and selling rare earth concentrate from it before year-end. Gakara, which operated for 30 years until 1978, holds some high-grade rare earth elements, including lanthanum, cerium and neodymium, which are expected to become essential for the manufacturing of batteries, magnets and electric vehicles. It is also a very cheap project — with only $2.23 million of required capital expenditure and low production costs.
http://www.mining.com/new-african-rare-earth-mine-start-production-year-end/

Hurting others for pleasure, can also be done consensually, just ask an entire generation 50 shades of grey fanatics.

So i guess the "A bad person is somebody who intentionally harms others for unnecessary personal gain and has the mental capacity to control their behaviour." statement also is only an approximation. :)

Last edited by notimp,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It all has to do with nurture + nature. Nurture being how you're raised, environment, family, friends etc and nature being your genes etc. That is what creates you in the end, just nature + nurture. Basic psychology and one of the first lessons you get when you study development psychology. Empathy, social skills, lack of emotions, being dominant or submissive, attachment issues are all created by nature and nurture. Most of what you are in the end is created before the age of 3 seeing everything below that age is critical what makes you, ''you'''. Most people don't realize that the age between give or take 0 - 4 is the most critical time in a human his/her development

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: GensokyoIceFairy

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is context. ;)

Watch if you want to find out who created the first ever spreadsheet, or why intermediating activities might be theft (value extraction activities passing for value creation activities). ;)

(This is basically a quite in depth rundown of how the current economic world and the public sector work.)

Last edited by notimp,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, I think good or bad people don’t exist since everyone has a good and bad side.
Edit: This means that sometimes a good person can have a bad side and a bad person can have a good side.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So I guess, we don't want to extend this to what current economic/political developments could be considered good or bad, then.. ;)

Eh, worth a try.. ;)

(yt video is still worth to be watched, imho. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IMO, there's not such thing as "good" or "bad" people, there are only people.
We, in a diferent level and under certain circumstances, can be "good" or "bad".
Doing "good" or "bad", is a matter of decisions and circumstances, and our human development since childhood, can, in some degree predispose us to think that being "good" or "bad" is the correct way to go. So we do what we see being done as we grow up, and that way is the correct way, because we haven't been shown the opposite.

"Good" or "bad", is simply a matter of socially determined (conceptually speaking) behaviour. What is "good" for some, can be "bad" for others and viceversa.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Thats close to deterministic (as in born with, or grown up as) group identities again. :) ("I can do nothing about my convictions on whats good or bad.") Which should be avoided, imho.

It neglects concepts like ethics, morals, major consensus narrative (which can be formed as well.. :) ) - that can develop over longer periods of time. :) Some are even subject to what you could call societal trends.

Some are changed by social movements.

The list goes on. ;) Only "what you grew up with" - is a cop out - that lets everyone retract to their default position of "everyone can be correct on this, because their feelings are right". ;)

(As you might imagine, I'm not very fond of this position. :) )

But yes, childhood development plays a role as well. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats close to deterministic (as in born with, or grown up as) group identities again. :) ("I can do nothing about my convictions on whats good or bad.") Which should be avoided, imho.

It neglects concepts like ethics, morals, major consensus narrative (which can be formed as well.. :) ) - that can develop over longer periods of time. :) Some are even subject to what you could call societal trends.

Some are changed by social movements.

The list goes on. ;) Only "what you grew up with" - is a cop out - that lets everyone retract to their default position of "everyone can be correct on this, because their feelings are right". ;)

(As you might imagine, I'm not very fond of this position. :) )

But yes, childhood development plays a role as well. :)
First thing I notice is that you are smiling a lot
Let me read your post now:P...

Reactions: Gekkodox

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
There is a unique nature to each person, but to be able to tell what is "good" and what is "bad" is ultimately subjective.

It really depends on the point of view itself, and the person's own beliefs to judge, based on peer pressure, mostly. This is pretty much how society norms appear to be different from a community to another.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are "good people" "good" by personal choice? Did they make the right decisions growing up? Were they lucky enough to be born into a loving family? Were they lucky enough not to suffer from mental illness? Were they lucky enough to have enough food on the table? Were they blessed with altruistic genes?

EDIT: As I posted on the second page

i don't know OP , you tell me
1543199526754.png

Last edited by Quantumcat,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe in an inherent objective morality that does not come from a higher being but is just a fact of the universe. I cant prove it exists obviously but I think it does. whether or not someone can be objectively bad based on that though i am not quite sure.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
@weatMod:

This should be moderated. :/ As its most likely propaganda.

Here is why:
There is no news source attached to it.
It is written in an agitative and non descriptive manner.
Personality rights are violated left and right - those images couldnt be published unredacted - there are laws against that.
There is no objective distance. The "matter of fact'ism" even shouting from the title (where is the "allegedly", where are the actual legal terms, if this is a report about a case in court) is disturbing.

The hook for the baited outrage is in the first line of text "a new mexican mother did nothing". You'd never open like this, if this was a report.

This is the creation of a disturbed mind - and/or someone involved in riling up some manufactured outrage for a reason.

--

Brings us to another excellent point though. Welcome to Facebook. Where stuff like this gets traction - because there couldnt even be theoretically enough people to screen all content that gets published.

Also welcome to your new all fancy tech job created by this innovation miracle that is social media - of looking at stuff like that for 8 hours a day, if you are living in the Philippines or a neighboring country. Because labor is cheap there. We certainly dont self police our discussion communities anymore. Let them do it... :/

Also media literacy. I take one look at this story and get what this is. Others might not. I've learned that stuff though.. :/

edit: Image in question seemingly originated on 4chan:
http://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/194646897

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?