Do video games actually rot your brain?

HippyJ3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Not at all, it's the addiction that makes the brain rot, not by playing video games itself, if you don't have any other activities besides playing video games and don't plan your schedule every day, then that's where the brain starts to degrade due to monotonous activity.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Absolutely not, quite the contrary actually.

Logic, puzzle solving, thinking outside the box, reflexes, intuitive moves, to name a few things that could get improved by playing games that rely on them specifically to get better with practice.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This reminds me of a bet with my aunt, when I was a kid. She was going on about that the playing games would make me stupid and [insert other generic rant here].
Since games are so easy and make you stupid, I made a bet with here. If she could solve a puzzle, in the game I was playing, in 5 minutes I wouldn't touch any games for the rest of the summer, if not she would buy me the game I wanted.
To sum it up, I got a new game :)

blue-moon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgcollect.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like this is just a classic case of older generations blaming any problem with youth or society in general on something they don't understand, it's happened before and will continue to happen because the world is always changing

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
My host body has been playing Resident Evil 6 for countless hours. Last night I took control of him. I can assure you that I have merely improved his brain capaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

sadorange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi there)depending on the game:

• sharpen your problem-solving skills
  • sharpen reflexes.
  • boost your memory
  • increase coordination
  • boost cognitive health
  • sharpen your decision making

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The benefits everyone is listing don't really apply if you play the same kind of game over and over. Ie, if you play the same game all day every day like GTA Online and EA Sports bros. You're probably only expanding your brain for the first few days, maybe a week at most. After that, you're not challenging your brain and you're not learning anything new. You might as well be watching TV.

Now let's say you play 30 different games in a year. That's probably better since your brain is going to have to adjust to different things each time. You're forced to think in new ways, memorize different pathways, etc.

But also, this comes down to a matter of time. Let's assume that TV doesn't rot your brain. And let's say you just sit watching TV for a whole year. At the end of that year, your brain isn't rotted, but have you challenged it in any way? How much more would it have grown if you had spent that year learning different programming languages? So, although TV might not rot your brain, if it keeps you from doing other things that keep it healthy, it's still at least half as bad as if it did.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to +1