Do you believe in climate change/global warming?

Do you think Trump pulling out of the Paris climate change deal was a bad thing?

• Total voters

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to solar and wind and such, the problem there is that it's not power on-demand. It only provides power while the sun is shining or the wind is blowing. If we want to get the most out of those, what we need is a better method of storing energy, be it a better battery or some other method. If you're really interested in all this stuff, I recommend Bill Nye's book Unstoppable.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to solar and wind and such, the problem there is that it's not power on-demand. It only provides power while the sun is shining or the wind is blowing. If we want to get the most out of those, what we need is a better method of storing energy, be it a better battery or some other method. If you're really interested in all this stuff, I recommend Bill Nye's book Unstoppable.
My point with hydro is that the ocean is always moving, so in a way it kinda is power on demand. Also we need to find a better and more cost effective way of making wind turbines, solar panels and what not because they can get kinda expensive.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The people preaching the most for green energy have a SUV or other not-so-green stuff in their homes.

We are already going to the right direction to minimize pollution as much as we can. Overpopulation is gonna fuck us all. It doesn't matter if we cut consumption by 25% per person if we get 100% more people every year. Stop breeding like wild rabbits and turn on the TV.

rileysrjay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are already going to the right direction to minimize pollution as much as we can. Overpopulation is gonna fuck us all. It doesn't matter if we cut consumption by 25% per person if we get 100% more people every year. Stop breeding like wild rabbits and turn on the TV.
It's more so of third world countries that's causing overpopulation IIRC. Didn't Japan recently hit a new low with the amount of babies being born? I guess one way to combat with it would be doing what China use to do and only allow two children per couple, but I doubt countries are gonna listen anyways, and I'm also not too keen on more restriction.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The people preaching the most for green energy have a SUV or other not-so-green stuff in their homes.
Kinda like DiCaprio? Who ended up flying cross country to get his hat or whatever?

Last edited by rileysrjay,

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone stating carbon emissions......Does everyone alive forget this same science in the 70s and early 80s predicted an ice age that is naturally a coming?

Science is only as good as its funding, and once science really proves one side and disproves the other, the funding goes away. You will sadly never know the truth about the causes, or how bad it can be. Because science won't give you the answers properly as they refuse to research all aspects. They do one, tell you it's that, and we keep funding billions of dollars to them to do the exact same studies year after year.

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
The Earth was warm for the most period of its history.
Eg: in later medieval times was possible for vines to grow in England.
Yes, global warming is real but it's not only human fault

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually believe it or not we've hit "peak child," which means the birth rate is plateauing. The reason the population is still rising is because people are living longer, iirc within the next ~30 years the global population should be stabilized

Jax_Ripper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To say it's not real is to say we have not a universe.
It's mother earth cleansing herself.

Jax

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Ziggyhacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, but on a much smaller scale than scientists believe it exists on. If I may provide some insight, we may easily be able to solve this frivolous conflict by remaining unbiased while making judgement on it.

Reactions: Jax_Ripper

rileysrjay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, but on a much smaller scale than scientists believe it exists on. If I may provide some insight, we may easily be able to solve this frivolous conflict by remaining unbiased while making judgement on it.
To stay unbiased in a political thread, or anywhere for that matter? Is that possible, especially here on the temp?

rileysrjay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's possible , we just have to stay open minded.

Jax

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
To be fair this thread so far hasn't gone to off the rails. The London attack thread is terrible though, a lot of people in their filled with prejudice at each other. Makes me sick.

Ziggyhacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remaining completely unbiased is impossible in any thread, but I was referring to judgements made by the scientists that support climate change.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but they call evolution science when all it is is opinion and science's attempt at religion.
Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...coming in this thread, I feared the worst. But apparently, only 4.4% of tempers really still believe all is okay. :)

Personally, the first time I heard about climate change was somewhere in the second half of the nineties. This was just before internet became mainstream (in my life). It may have been youth sentiment, but I think science was done on a more thorough level at that time. These were reports that were made without an agenda or affiliations. It was only later that I've heard that they apparently caused controversy in the only parts where they were needed: in governments. Lobbyists didn't bother to spread propaganda or hire scientists to prove the global scale different because all they really had to do was keep journalists from it.
Anyway...as you can imagine, I saw the world take a pretty sharp turn when Gore (who was an environmentalist even before he made "an inconvenient truth") lost to some guy who abused a terrorist attack to attack a nation that had nothing to do with it. But that documentary marked a turning point: all of a sudden I wasn't alone in "this theory" of global warming, but was "a believer" for something I already knew for years. However, because quite some powerful companies (mostly car and oil ones) would become (near-)unafordably if you have to pay the FULL price for traveling by car*, they used lobbyists to spread propaganda and lies. This whole "okay, global warming is real but it's not caused by us" is one of these arguments. It's just a way to discredit the basic statistics that actually prove very well that the human-caused climate change started with the industrial revolution.

Of course I hate Trump as much as everyone else**, but still this act is pretty weird and stupid even by his track record. After all, he is a businessman. And this whole "it's about jobs!" just doesn't make sense, because it's not jobs vs clean energy. You can have both. In fact, I would think that investing in clean energy creates much more jobs than the "more of the same" that the US currently has. Solar panels and wind turbines don't create themselves. To engineer them, to build them and to maintain them undoubtedly requires at least as much jobs as keeping with the current (meaning: coal). It's not like the US is forced to import these technologies either: from an article I read, you already have quite a booming business in clean power (Texas...Hawaii...and from all the places even Pittsburg***). Those businesses could've expanded to other countries, which would've been good for your economy. Now, however, they'll have to compete with the old and polluting ways.

*meaning: somehow make sure that the pollution it makes is truly compensated for
**okay, perhaps save a small percentage of US voters who actually voted "for him" rather than "against Clinton"
***the mayor of that joint didn't like Trump citing them as "whom he worked for"...the majority voted for Hillary...and they've done a lot to move away from pollution

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Deeze nuts