• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you believe Russia hacked the US election?

What do you think is really going on? Let's get a little political here.

I assume you've all heard of the recent Vermont power grid "hacking" story. A few days ago a Vermont utility company found a russian virus on some guy's computer and (part of) the press extrapolated the fact, turning it into a so-called proof of a Russian conspiracy to hack the US power grid... That title was a fucking clickbait, and I just knew it. But not just your average buzzshit clickbait, a serious fucking one this time. When you read the article it became clear: pure bullshit. No evidence whatsoever, all that happened is that they found a regular virus on a random guy's computer, which happens a million times a day everywhere in the world. A few hours later they retracted, a lot of other sites and agencies stated that there was no such thing as a power grid hack attempt. Those media outlets jumped to conclusions to serve their own agenda, it seems.

Now regarding the "hacking" of the US election. Several US government agencies are claiming it's real. Are we being lied to? Are the FBI and homeland security and others all following orders of a higher instance or do they have actual evidence?
So far, they haven't shared much with the general public. Last week they released a document, which I read, but if you read it too you will find that it's absolutely empty of evidence. All it states is "we found some IP addresses in the logs" and "we found a bit of code that was used before". That amounts to nothing at all.

So why do they keep going on about this?
Do you think these agencies have insights they cant share with the public? could they have informants within the russian goverment? that's one of the few things I can think of that they would never be able to reveal. Or maybe it is just more political bullshit... but what's the point? Trump will take office soon and all this Russia crap isn't working. Apparently Trump has something to say on the subject that he will reveal on tuesday or wednesday. I wonder what that may be.

d7e413a2ab0f4b30b7759b3064fd6b0b.jpg

D

Deleted-401606

What does it matter what we believe. Regardless if it is true or not, it does not stop the herd from acting like a herd and doing crazy things.

Anyhoo. Why is this front page news on a gaming site?!
Because you are a liberal.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they WOULD hack the elections to keep Hillary out of the white house?
so in my last comment I was correct
They definitely would, regardless of who she was running against. This is personal for Russia. I don't think China had much at stake in this election.

Reactions: DeoNaught

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With a witness, there is no proof so I cannot argue with that.
Witnesses are terrible for evidence though.
https://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue One/fisher&tversky.htm

I'm disappointed noone here seems to be pointing to history and saying that it's not a question of whether or not they meddled with the election, but whether said meddling was justified.

For an outside state actor to meddle via broadly illegal means (and computer hacking would count, as opposed to a state maybe donating to a party or doing some advertising which could be illegal in one place but not another and up for some measure of debate) in an election, much less a leader one, is pretty bad from a diplomatic standpoint. Any international law governing this is well outside my field so I am not sure where it falls on the acts of war scale compared to various acts of economic sabotage (think false currency and maybe certain types of market manipulation), however it can hardly be said to be just playing the game. Indeed I would have a hard time buying it as an act of protest against sanctions or something.
To that end people starting from the position that it can not be justified and thus we have to consider if it happened, and what happened, and maybe how much effect it might have had if something did happen, is probably going to be the default one.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether it was true or not it doesn't matter because on december 19, the electoral votes voted again. And they voted trump in, again. So... It's a non issue now.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
A political discussion featured on the front page news of a video game site. This will go well.

The politics of video games are horrendous enough at times, never mind real politics. I'd rather take my break to visiting this forum finding out about gaming politics at least, instead of world politics. I get enough of those blasted into my face offline.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whether it was true or not it doesn't matter because on december 19, the electoral votes voted again. And they voted trump in, again. So... It's a non issue now.
Depending upon what was done there could well be provisions in law to force certain things to happen. Also how does a potential action on this scale become a non issue because the results have happened? Arguing that seems to go against all law everywhere, that being doing (or planning/attempting to do in some situations) a deed that goes against a law tends to warrant investigation and actions/sanctions taken after the fact. Likewise if something bad has happened you might want to prevent it happening again and thus you really do want to investigate it.

Reactions: SaffronXL

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The (alleged) corruption of the South Korean president would not change at all, even if the data had been revealed by the North Korean president himself.
I hope all governments would reveal each other's corrupt deeds. People worldwide would benefit.
Normally this would be the job of the media but the media has clearly become the extended arm of the government or at least of a certain group within it.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBATemp's poll correctly predicted the Trump catastrophe. So much for the experts. The US is a country half full of racists, sexists, knuckle-draggers, and superstitious idiots who think the planet is 6000 years old and that magic is real.

Let's have more GBATemp polls about uncertain future events and see how often GBATemp gets it right. This could have been a one off.

Enjoy your bread and circuses.

A political discussion featured on the front page news of a video game site. This will go well.

The politics of video games are horrendous enough at times, never mind real politics. I'd rather take my break to visiting this forum finding out about gaming politics at least, instead of world politics. I get enough of those blasted into my face offline.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why do they keep going on about this?

My guess is they wish to use it as leverage in talks with Putin, and it has very little to actually do with the US elections. It seems to me that it's rarely ever about that thing they publicly say and rather more of how they can leverage the populace attitude...though with trump, who knows. It's a whole new world now. Perhaps it's as plain and simple as planting the seed for an argument about legitimacy later down the road?

Though "hacking" the election by...leaking emails from government officials that just prove what we already know about how our system works? When did we stop calling it whistle-blowing? When the media stopped being paradigms of ethical journalism would be my guess. I dunno, I think it probably would have gone better had there been leaks of the republicans as well. Or if the media wasn't run by a bunch of ratings-driven sales people.

Last edited by osaka35,

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that it's obvious that someone out there is trying to heighten the tension between the US and Russia before Trump takes office. Why you may ask? There's a plethora of possible answers and honestly I don't know. It sure is fun to see all of the media spin fall through though.
It's simple really. It's all a sinister plot to thrust the world back into the Cold War. If there was competition, then scientists would once again be heavily government funded and all sorts of new technologies would arise and advance human society. Through globalization, the world would follow in the footsteps of the United States and Russia then we'll all be traveling space by the year 2100.

Car manufacturers will only make automatics, electric cars, and most factories re-purposed to build their brand of spaceships. Fossil fuels will be used for nothing more than third-world power and retro vehicles. Everyone will wear smart eye contact lens that deliver information about what's in front of you faster than a google search. Auto-translating ear implants realizing the rebirth of the tower of Babel. Beverly Hills will become just another middle-class neighborhood as the rich will move to space real estate. Materials no longer a problem due to asteroid mining. New issues arise as robot technology replaces menial labor jobs of the old. Countries rushing to space to keep up with the economic boom. China's people use this opportunity to resume the plight of the tiananmen square protests and finally achieve true capitalism. Health care becomes nearly free as doctors and nurses are no longer needed and every home has their own auto-doctor robot, providing accurate diagnosis and fast-melting medication gummies that don't cause addiction and respond quickly.

I haven't had anything to eat today.

Last edited by Pluupy,

Keith_Loving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely believe the Russians did interfere with the results of the US elections. All of the polls prior to election day had Hilary Clinton in the lead by 6 or 7 percentage points. All of the legitimate polls that I know of had Clinton in the lead, based solely upon surveys conducted prior to the election. So how could the end result have changed? It's because the people didn't vote him in and the Russians interfered.

Furthermore, the states along the West Coast, showed overwhelming support for Clinton. However, Trump had already won the electoral vote prior to the voting polls closing in Pacific/Western Time zone (CA, NV, OR, WA, HI). Hence, when the Russians knew they were successful hacking the end result, they ended their hacking efforts along the west coast since Trump had already won by that point. You heard me right, the president was already elected prior to all the polls closing across the country. Sorry west coast, but we don't even need to count your votes because Trump won. That is why the states along the west coast shows Clinton winning those states, it is because by that point the winner was essentially already determined. The Russians backed off, and allowed the true votes to come thru for the states along the West Coast (CA, NV, OR, WA, HI).

It is very obvious, there is a greater force at play here, greater than the peoples vote. Look at the relationship between Trump and Putin. Strange? Historically. Russia and US are not allies. But there is a very unique friendship between Trump and Putin. Just watch how these two are interacting with each other by ways of public talk.

I am absolutely convinced the Russians interfered with the election results and it PISSES me off! This is an attack against America and our democracy.

Ever hear of ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria)? Ever hear of ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant)? Do you realize they too was celebrating Trumps win? It is because they understand Trump is a complete noob and clueless on most important issues concerning America's safety/security. Trump isn't even concerned about getting his daily national security briefings. This is to be done daily however Trump has only had like 3 briefings so far. This is the same bull crap that George Bush did prior to the 911 attacks on America. Not taking daily National security briefings, and next thing you know you have already been attacked.

The average Joe just doesn't know how much our government really does for us, and now that Trump is in, America is hurting at the top. Excuse how passionate I am about this topic. But I am not sitting on the fence on this issue like many people do. I've taken a side on the issue like it or not. I pray Pence will take care of all things Trump isn't.

Trump wants an arms race. Little does he know an arms race is a lot like sex. Building nuclear or atomic weaponry is the "foreplay". Setting one of the nuclear or atomic bombs off is the "orgasm". An arms race doesn't end/cease until they have actually detonated them, with many lives lost.

Trump is routinely found to be the butt of all nightly comedy shows. There is a reason for this! Trump get off your twitter and start focusing on your job at hand for Christ sake! Don't worry about Alex Baldwin and his Trump impressions about yourself on SNL. Do your job, and attend your daily security news briefings! Listen to them when they have an issue to report, and don't just say, "I don't know, maybe you're making this up". Stop behaving like a clown!

KL

Last edited by Keith_Loving,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, something has to explain how Trump got elected.

Easy, there had to be another candidate running against Hillary, so...but the fact we let ourselves have end up with only having these two candidates to vote from says a lot about this country. People are bitter that it didn't go their way, now they know how others felt for the past eight years *shrug*.

Many told others to "get over it" when Obama was in office since 2008, and now it's their turn to tell that to the opposite party.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Julian Assange made it clear that the Russians were not the source of the Wikileaks.

This is Seth Rich, who was probably the source.

seth-rich-bloomingdale_02.jpg

And even if the Russians did hack the DNC emails, they didn't make them write the horrible smarmy corrupt shit that permeated the pages of every single email those criminal assholes sent. On the offchance it was Russia, all I have to say is Thank you Comrades for saving our country.

NgjsGlva_400x400.jpg

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I absolutely believe the Russians did interfere with the results of the US elections. All of the polls prior to election day had Hilary Clinton in the lead by 6 or 7 percentage points. All of the legitimate polls that I know of had Clinton in the lead, based solely upon surveys conducted prior to the election. So how could the end result have changed? It's because the people didn't vote him in and the Russians interfered.

Because shitty polls by mainstream media showed Hillary having more voters, Russians hacked the election?
Jesus christ dude..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3