Do you eat organ meat?

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only in hotdogs and sausage, otherwise no.

ooowww, thanks for the idea tomorrow. I'll make Brats with some hormel chili, and with relish n onions [if I go to the store] I'm out of onions. lol

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep. Mostly liver and kidney.

Others not really tried, so can't say if I like or dislike, I'll give most things a go though.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i've tried sheep eye (not that great), liver (i don't know what animal, my dad made it), sheap heart, i think that's it... though on my trip in south-africa i've eaten some meat not that specivied that came from pork or lamb, i'm not sure there were no organs in those meals.
i wouldn't mind eating organs, as long as it's well prepared and in good conditions (not from a sick animal).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a Portuguese and I liked to eat kidney and cow tongue but I don't eat liver, lungs, brain, stomach, intestine, heart and eyes at all.

D

Deleted User

I used to eat organ meat but not anymore. I think we should because doing so reduces waste.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever tried that kind of meat. Either while growing up with my parents' cooking or at any restaurants, so I have no idea what it'd taste like. I probably would judge it warily and wouldn't go out of my way to try it, but maybe it wouldn't be bad. New experiences are always fun.

I did wind up asking my dad about it, who's a Persian chef. Apparently, offal is moderately common in Iranian cuisine, but out of all the things he's made at home, it's never included organ meat. He's not a fan, but grew up eating it.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steak and kidney pie is a very traditional British foodstuff, and I used to eat it without a second thought, but when I did actually stop and think about kidneys, and the fact that they spend their life marinated in piss, it put me off the idea a little.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a place here in town that does fried livers and gizzards -- amazing! My mom used to give us all of the giblets when making a chicken or turkey. As a kid, I only loved the gizzards, which she just roasted with the chicken on the side. But now I love it all.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Liver tastes absolutely horrible for me, I've literally vomited several times by accidentally biting on liver thinking it was normal meat. Even the smell of stewing liver is nauseating and disgusting for me, I go outside whenever liver is being cooked.

I also hate other internal organs like kidney, heart, lungs etc, they kinda have the same horrid taste.

Despite being delicacies here I think all internal organs are un-safe as they filter toxic stuff from the blood-stream, and lungs are a favorite ingress route for microbes and pathogens into the body.

I love gizzard though. I also like tongue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh yeah we also eat goat intestines and stomach over here, either stewed or roasted, and weirdly I like it. Comes in different shapes and textures I guess depending on the specific part of the digestive tract, small pipe like bits(small intestines), towel like bits(no idea what part but it's literally like a towel, a very gross towel which I occasionally eat).

There's a "sausage like" dish that I love, two inch diameter goat intestine stuffed with blood and then roasted. Love it, but if you eat alot try to clear your calender the following day coz the blood stuffing gives most people the runs on the next day.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite being delicacies here I think all internal organs are un-safe as they filter toxic stuff from the blood-stream, and lungs are a favorite ingress route for microbes and pathogens into the body.
Organ meat is no more dangerous than any other if it isn't prepared properly. Look at things like Salmonella from poultry or Trichinosis from pork. I remember when a lot of beef was banned because of BSE (mad cow disease). As far as toxins, they are also in normal meat because of blood and pretty much all of it is broken down by high heat. You would have to eat an awful lot of organs to get any sort of adverse effect.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before it was common to have grocery stores that sold food fortified with vitamins, the only way to get said vitamins was by eating organs. As some of you may know, people now are taller than those from the past because they were able to eat fortified food in their younger years. In those days only the powerful, and or wealthy could afford organs.

while not about organs, I thought I would share a fun food fact. the early days in the USA we would feed slaves, and prisoners lobster and crab. They were very abundant, and considered the cockroaches of the sea. I for one cannot stand to sit at the same table as someone eating either one. same goes for shrimp. fucking disgusting.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
We have a Christmas sausage that's made partly from organ meat. Not everybody loves it, most of my family don't really care for it, but it's my favorite thing to eat on Christmas eve. It tastes a bit like liver pate, but better.
Its been processed to such a degree that you couldn't tell it's organ meat, other than the rather off-putting gray color.
I don't normally like organ meat though. Have had liver, didn't care for it. Heart meat is probably fine? It's a muscle just like any other piece of meat. Don't think I have had it on its own though so I can't say for sure.
Kidney I don't think is common at all here, other than being used in cured dried sausages, which tastes just fine, no idea what it would taste like on its own.
Lungs, ew. It is something people used to eat here back in the old days and some probably still do due to tradition but I don't think I could stomach it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't usually cook that myself, but my parent does and so I ate some sometime when invited.
Might be a good idea to change my copy-paste menu from every week....

Liver (cow/veal, or birds, or fish (cod))
Heart (cow/veal)
Tongue (cow/veal .. again ?)
gizzards (duck)
kidney (rabbit), though, I usually remove them before cooking.

When I was less than 10, I ate brain too. I didn't ate any until then.

I really dislike intestine/tripe taste and smell.

I never tried lung. it looks weird...

Maybe I forgot other meat part I already ate.

"gebackenes Kalbshirn"
(Fried Veal Brain)
Ohh, I didn't know it could be fried !
I always ate brain nature, like just boiled (if I remember correctly). I never actually looked how to cook brain, I'm not fond if it anymore knowing what it is :P
and the ones I ate were very very small, not like the picture you posted.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night, don't let the step brother bite +1