• Replies 101
  • Likes 5

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious.
For me... I can do pretty good with Spanish, English, French, Italian and Portuguese. But mostly the first three.
And I sorta can read Japanese and Russian.

Do you guys know more than ONE language?

Yes. I know mostly English, some in Portuguese. I also know American Sign Language and Portuguese Sign Language. I am learning myself some British Sign Language now.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm a German native speaker and fluent in English but my French is really lacking. I understand some written French, but I'm bad at speaking it. The language never clicked with me the way English did and I never tried to improve my French outside of school.

So that leaves us with English.

Hmm, my first contact with English was probably through videogames. I learned the meaning of some basic words through their similarity to their German counterparts or by observing what happens in a game when I select *that* option. When I had English lessons in school some years later I already had a fairly large starting vocabulary to work with.

Comparing things fascinates me (I have Asperger syndrome, maybe that's why) and I can memorize pronunciation and vocabulary really well which makes it easy to pick up new words. Sometimes I watch movies I've already seen in German again in English, same for reading books or playing games, that also helps.

Being an internet person with few real life contacts I think and write more in English than my mother tongue these days.

I'm in love with folk music from the British Isles and regularly listening to field recordings of native speakers or taking part in conversations regarding songs. Having a native speaker to talk to is absolutely the best way to properly learn a language.

If I weren't so lazy and always busy with silly videogames I'd start learning some Gaelic, a beautiful language, but hard to learn. I'm sometimes confronted with Gaelic in macaronic folk songs, take "grá geal mo chroí" (love of my heart) for an example, and I'd love to be able to understand the words without a dictionary and learn their proper pronunciation.

Well, that pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by Reynardine,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
English is my second language which to be frank I've started using it fairly more than my native lately, given the fact that i spent most of my free time here on GBAtemp which i am grateful for helping me learn better English.
As to which my native language is..well I'll have to hide that for obvious privacy issues.

Reactions: Deleted User

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took four years of German in high school, but probably shouldn't have even been allowed to pass the third and fourth years. I certainly can't speak or write it and probably actually know more Spanish just from exposure.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious.
For me... I can do pretty good with Spanish, English, French, Italian and Portuguese. But mostly the first three.
And I sorta can read Japanese and Russian.

Do you guys know more than ONE language?
I natively speak English and I have spent the past year slowly learning Japanese I can currently read the Hiragana and Katakana along with some kanji

Reactions: Reynardine

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In order from most proficient to least proficient:

English (Native)
Mandarin Chinese (Almost native)
Japanese (Conversation-level; learned in college)
Italian (Semi-conversation-level; learned during middle/high school)
French (Learned during middle/high school)

On a side note...Just noticed that today marks my 16th year here at the temp! Time sure flies...

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yes, we should really sort languages from ok-ish to professional level:

I speak Italian everydays, for both job and in my private life; both italian and spanish are one of Neo-latin languages and they share a lot of similarities: tested on some ''very lucky'' Venezuelan and argentino.
I can speak and write Mandarin at academic level. 为什么学习中文?Why study Chinese? I think both western economy and markets are very saturated, I see China, the emerging market has far more potential for further investments. Japanese comes from Chinese, that means i'm able to read and understand all Kanjis too!
self-taught English, good enough for travelling or going through gbatemp's hacking guides.

Last edited by leon315,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My native language is french, and english learned at school.
I don't have any problems to understand written english, but when it's spoken, I don't understand at all... It's too hard for me to speak it (plus my accent is kinda trash).
do you know french Overwatch pro player SOon? his english has very strong french accent! it's hilarious when listen to!

Last edited by leon315,
D

Deleted User

OP
I understand spanish a litttle bit but don't use it at all...
Que paso hombre? No mucho, mi escuela esta terrible porque mi
ok i give up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup, semi-fluent in Japanese, even lived abroad back in 2005 :P
Still retain most of what I learned
The more you know!

Wolcliff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
German is my first language, my english is pretty good,
and I know enough french to order a pizza, but not much more.
If I tried really hard I might also be able to order a pizza in Spanish :-) Much worse than my french though.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
French is my first language.
English was poorly taught in schools here, as a result, I sucked for a very long time.
Thankfully, I eventually found my way and I would now consider myself decent with English, as long as you could stand this thick Québecois accent.

GrumpCatPie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can write and understand Spanish, but reading it and speaking it are slow in my mind, I also tend to blank certain easy words. Even in my native language English I tend to stutter when nervous, and in Spanish it gets a little worse since I am always nervous when speaking another language.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1