Do you like your voice?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a thing on my mind forever. Sometimes I think about my voice. The only thing that kinda gets to me is how I hear myself when I record my voice, like some old video our parents used to record for some special event or maybe just on the phone or any other kind of recording devices. I kinda just don't understand why it bothers me. But I wonder if other people are happy with the way they sound. Is probably a odd topic to discuss but I'm really interested. :)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people dislike the sound of their own voice in recordings. There's a scientific reason that I'm too lazy to get a proper source on.

Quite a few people, including customers have said that I have a radio voice. I don't see it myself but I like that aspect of it.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a thing on my mind forever. Sometimes I think about my voice. The only thing that kinda gets to me is how I hear myself when I record my voice, like some old video our parents used to record for some special event or maybe just on the phone or any other kind of recording devices. I kinda just don't understand why it bothers me. But I wonder if other people are happy with the way they sound. Is probably a odd topic to discuss but I'm really interested. :)
Pretty sure its a fact that you will hate your voice when you hear it on a video or played back to you

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In recordings the only time I like my own voice is if I put a thick heavy "Darth Vader" tone to it. Beyond that everyone says they love my voice? It confuses me because I feel like I sound hmm too high pitched or something. Like someone else posted there is some sort of reason for this but I think it' probably like the uncanny valley thing but for sound, and reproduction.

Edit: Thinking about it now, I think the reason it sounds high pitched to me... is the sound is leaving my vocal cords and hitting my ears at one speed but the vibrations from the bones in my head are probably slightly offset so one wave is slightly longer to my ear. When recorded your not getting the benefit of the extra wave cycle thrown in.

At least that's my theory lol

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,
D

Deleted User

Can't really say I'm the fondest of my voice. It could be worse, but as it stands right now, I feel like my voice gives a bit of an awkward teenager vibe, with an occasional lisp on some words. The fact that I keep second-guessing my word choice and end up stuttering occasionally doesn't help.

I suppose I'm better at communicating through written text than I am through speech. That's probably true for a lot of people.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely hate the sound of my own voice. It really is to the point where i have started started projects had everything but the editing complete and just couldn't bring myself to listen to my voice for the next 10-15 hours

deltamind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I hear other people out then it seems they have a great dense voice but when I speak it doesn't seem like I am speaking, it seems like I am squeaking lol. Very annoyed.

Reactions: jimmyj

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I remember the reason being how your head filters out certain sounds from your own voice so you hear it differently. What you hear from a recording is what other people hear. This is what I read a long time back anyway.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My innervoice is much more light than my outervoice. I had to train myself to sound more light because my bass voice make it hard for people to understand me.

The "Innervoice" you hear is actually vibrations from your jaws directly to your ears. (If I remember correct)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liek my voice, but I don’t like not being able to do many impressions. My limitations are basically Marge Simpson, Luigi (from cartoon), and Toad. And my Marge voice is getting crappier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/4YYtoJC what in the white people lol