Gaming Do you think upcoming piracy will lead the console to EOL soon?

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres the actual important question cause a few pirates wont bring the vastness of the oceans to its knees. how many people who pirate go on to encourage others to pirate and actually get them too. id say less then 10% so what does that mean. its not likely to spread easily on top of that there are less people who are competent enough to successfully pirate games and mod their systems and bans/bricking keeps even more people away which limits it even more. so simply put piracy has such a slow spread rate and to many risk for the average user so its effects are limited until the end of the consoles expected lifespan anyways. Thats when lower console prices and an increase of moddability ease that it then has an effect but for a benefit because at that point the console sales have already drop and homebrew and piracy will attract more people to buy the console. In other words it balances out in the end.

Reactions: Ty_

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why do people care if a console dies its literally part of the way the world works. things live and things die and if it happens sooner rather then later then it wasnt that good in the first place. You do know your just a number to these companies a faceless set of digits that paysout every so often if they play the right notes and tickle your funny bone enough. Sure the people who work there might treat you right and act all nice but thats because they have to in order to get paid. The company itself doesnt care about you beyond the money you can give them.

Its like darwins survival of the fittest if the companies cant handle the enviroment then they should fall to the wayside and make room for the better companies who will advance society farther then the previous ones.
You're trying a bit too hard...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An ongoing battle, and the most popular handheld gaming consoles thrived in an Era with painless piracy.
Exactly. Thanks to the DS and subsequently the R4, the term R4 became nearly synonymous with flashcarts as a whole. Nowadays you can just say "Is there an R4 for *insert device here*" and people will understand what you're saying.

Reactions: THYPLEX and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. Thanks to the DS and subsequently the R4, the term R4 became nearly synonymous with flashcarts as a whole. Nowadays you can just say "Is there an R4 for *insert device here*" and people will understand what you're saying.
Even if it is a bit annoying. Rawr

Reactions: Draxzelex
D

Deleted User

I think you're overestimating how many people actually would install CFW on a switch. Unlike DS/3DS(recently) it is not that easy. So no, it won't really affect game sales.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can only kill their own consoles whether its weak security or ongoing of ports from their previous consoles. Third parties are nice and important to keep the console flexible, but their "New" exclusives is what matters the most
Look at Octopath Traveler its being sold out almost everywhere despite piracy being under its shadow.

D

Deleted User

lmao another one of these posts

as everyone said, no, it won't do anything.

and tbh i do agree with the whole "it'll boost console sales" thing, the switch in itself is cheap-ish for a console, but fuck me sideways with a cactus i'm not gonna pay nintentax $90 for some wii u games ported to the switch, jesus.

buy 4 games or a new switch... HMMMMM THAT'S THE QUESTION

Reactions: Mylink5

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are no legitimate documented cases of piracy alone killing a console.

Thats like saying "Guns don't kill, people do".

Piracy has an effect on developer profits. Not all cases of piracy are lost sales, but some of them are. Games routinely get bounced to the next console because of fear it won't sell enough.

You expect an unattainable level of proof, so I doubt you'll agree.

"alone" is pointless. Otherwise you'll be arguing that it wasn't piracy that killed a console, piracy was only 99.99999999% responsible. 0.00000001% was because a new console came out.

Last edited by smf,

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thats like saying "Guns don't kill, people do".
The problem with that being what exactly? I'm not going to take either sides on the (honestly, irrelevant) gun hot-button issue but I see no issue with that statement and find that it actually brings us closer to accepting responsibility for needless and tragic deaths.
You expect an unattainable level of proof, so I doubt you'll agree.
You don't know me. You're being needlessly aggressive in lieu of an argument.
"alone" is pointless. Otherwise you'll be arguing that it wasn't piracy that killed a console
That's a nitpick and you know it. How would you have preferred it to be worded?
--> "There are no legitimate documented cases of piracy being major deciding factor in killing a console."
Better?

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Piracy even if easily accessible will only be used by a certain negligible percentage of the total amount of people who own the device, also it does not mean that people who have access to piracy will stop buying games, so all in all it will represent a certain loss of money for the publishers and developers but it is negligible and it will rarely be a key factor when publishers will decide to bring a game to the switch or not...

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I see some people saying that the Nintendo DS sales weren't killed by piracy. You're right. Also, I'm adding the Wii sales too.

However, can you name me any good third party game/port that came out on those consoles after piracy became mainstream? For both consoles, it became a matter of spending less than 10 dollars to play everything on them in 2010. 6 years for the Nintendo DS and 4 years for the Wii.
You can say the same for the 3DS. What was the year that 3DS piracy became mainstream? 2015? 4 years after the console came out. Can you name any good third party game that came out after that?
I believe it's a matter of one more year before piracy on the Switch becomes too mainstream and that's when developers will pull the plug. Developers don't want to make games for a console that can be easily pirated. Some still will, but they will be poorly made games for a quick buck from the grannies out there or some achieved Kickstarter goals or games from Nintendo themselves.

You can argue all you want that there are no documented cases of piracy cutting profits, but it's a no-brainier that devs will eventually get tired of Nintendo's incapacity and move to Microsoft or Sony if they don't put their shit together. It's not the pirates' fault because a world without parasites is impossible, but they should have more brain with this stuff. It's like making a Cinema but it's in the open and people can just stand behind the stanchion rope to watch the movie. Eventually movie producers will just stop selling you the rights to play their stuff.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see some people saying that the Nintendo DS sales weren't killed by piracy. You're right. Also, I'm adding the Wii sales too.

However, can you name me any good third party game/port that came out on those consoles after piracy became mainstream? For both consoles, it became a matter of spending less than 10 dollars to play everything on them in 2010. 6 years for the Nintendo DS and 4 years for the Wii.
You can say the same for the 3DS. What was the year that 3DS piracy became mainstream? 2015? 4 years after the console came out. Can you name any good third party game that came out after that?
I believe it's a matter of one more year before piracy on the Switch becomes too mainstream and that's when developers will pull the plug. Developers don't want to make games for a console that can be easily pirated. Some still will, but they will be poorly made games for a quick buck from the grannies out there or some achieved Kickstarter goals or games from Nintendo themselves.

You can argue all you want that there are no documented cases of piracy cutting profits, but it's a no-brainier that devs will eventually get tired of Nintendo's incapacity and move to Microsoft or Sony if they don't put their shit together. It's not the pirates' fault because a world without parasites is impossible, but they should have more brain with this stuff. It's like making a Cinema but it's in the open and people can just stand behind the stanchion rope to watch the movie. Eventually movie producers will just stop selling you the rights to play their stuff.

First of all the switch OS is pretty well secured and even if for now we're taking advantage of RCM mode to have homebrew/piracy/CFW, I'm pretty sure it'll be way harder to hack future iterations of the switch's hardware revisions, and so this will remain a marginal practice...

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First of all the switch OS is pretty well secured and even if for now we're taking advantage of RCM mode to have homebrew/piracy/CFW, I'm pretty sure it'll be way harder to hack future iterations of the switch's hardware revisions, and so this will remain a marginal practice...
There are about 18 million consoles worldwide now. Unless they pull a Switch Lite, I don't see how Nintendo can make anywhere near those numbers, especially if the first edition of the Switch is hackable and devs lose interest.

Who knows, maybe Game Freak will finally release the Pokemon MMO y'all have been waiting for :P that could be one way to save it.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off the top of my head, several Monster Hunter games, Dragon Quest remakes, Layton's Mystery Journey, Etrian Odyssey games, Monster Hunter Stories.
Those are just the ones I've bought, and some of them are even best sellers on the console.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably not. however, companies exaggerate about how much money is lost due to it. it's not what's true; it's what companies think is true. I've wondered what would happen if a system had no antipiracy protection. would it fail?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A