• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 14,438
  • Replies 203

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
OMG, wrong. CyberQuake's answer was a good one. But I want to add, someone with clinical depression can feel sad (and have trouble sleeping, low energy, plus other symptoms) even if they have the perfect life. Even if all they think about are kittens and rainbows and world peace and how much everybody on earth loves them and how much they love everybody. They will still feel horrible and want to die. Have you never had a time where you just feel awful even though you know objectively nothing is wrong, but you just can't help it? Maybe I know about that better being a girl (monthly things and all that - caused by hormone imbalance). It happens to everybody every once in a while, but someone with clinical depression feels like that nearly all the time. To someone without clinical depression, it's easy to tell them "have you tried just not thinking about sad things" but it doesn't work like that. You wouldn't understand if you've never known anybody with it or had it yourself. If you don't understand an illness then don't tell people how to fix it, cause you don't have the first clue about it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...es-depression-myths-about-chemical-imbalances

Hormonal imbalances
One 'medical' cause of depression often given is the overproduction of stress hormones.

The hormonal imbalances related to depression are to do with our natural reactions to stress, and stress and depression are certainly linked. But does this hormonal imbalance actually cause depression?

It is true that depressed people often have increased levels of stress hormones in their bloodstream (3), but again, this is a symptom, not a cause.

When you ruminate, or introspect in a negative way, you create emotional arousal that causes the release of stress hormones. That night, in REM (dream sleep), you become emotionally aroused again as dreaming 'flushes out' the emotional arousal from your brain.

That is why depressed people have higher levels of stress hormones, and also why you can wake up feeling exhausted. More on this later.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/dlp/depression-information/medical-causes-of-depression/

"The actual link connecting depression and stress concerns our thinking styles, namely the "All or Nothing" thinking our mind uses when it feels we feel threatened"

https://chriskresser.com/the-chemical-imbalance-myth/
"The idea that depression and other mental health conditions are caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain is so deeply ingrained in our psyche that it seems almost sacrilegious to question it."

On the side note, thinking positively and being aware of your thoughts... is actually being taught in the US to combat depression
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/jan/05/religion-buddhism

I'm a woman, I do get the mood changes during my monthly period but I'm aware of it and I recognize that it is just that. I don't let it override me. If you think that you can just let your mind take control of you when you are not mentally insane, then okay.
Sure there are people too depressed to the point of no return. I never said it would fix depression, but it's better than being negative all the time. Did I say it will miraculously fix it? I'm also not exclusively saying to think positively to mentally insane people. But if you are not insane yet, thinking negatively wouldn't do you any good.

Countries who have pharmaceutical companies pushing these pills have the highest depression rate. Because they want people to take their pills because money, so they want more people to think that they have depression and should take their pills even if it doesn't work, and they want people to think they have no control over their minds, (talking about non mentally insane people here.) If an advice doesn't work for you then don't pick it up. If people want to think they can't get a hold of their mind and they have become a slave to it, then okay.

I only said to think positively and now you're saying I am giving the cure to mental illnesses. Which I'm not.

If people don't want to think that they have more control on their minds and thoughts than they know, these are the people who mostly suffer because of it.

Does giving in to the hopelessness of your thoughts better than thinking positively? Does being pessimistic all the time help you or the people around you? Does thinking negatively make people feel better about themselves?

We all have our understandings of depression, I'll just agree to disagree and let it go. :B
Have a good one.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...es-depression-myths-about-chemical-imbalances

Hormonal imbalances
One 'medical' cause of depression often given is the overproduction of stress hormones.

The hormonal imbalances related to depression are to do with our natural reactions to stress, and stress and depression are certainly linked. But does this hormonal imbalance actually cause depression?

It is true that depressed people often have increased levels of stress hormones in their bloodstream (3), but again, this is a symptom, not a cause.

When you ruminate, or introspect in a negative way, you create emotional arousal that causes the release of stress hormones. That night, in REM (dream sleep), you become emotionally aroused again as dreaming 'flushes out' the emotional arousal from your brain.

That is why depressed people have higher levels of stress hormones, and also why you can wake up feeling exhausted. More on this later.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/dlp/depression-information/medical-causes-of-depression/

"The actual link connecting depression and stress concerns our thinking styles, namely the "All or Nothing" thinking our mind uses when it feels we feel threatened"

"The idea that depression and other mental health conditions are caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain is so deeply ingrained in our psyche that it seems almost sacrilegious to question it."

On the side note, thinking positively and being aware of your thoughts... is actually being taught in the US to combat depression

I'm a woman, I do get the mood changes during my monthly period but I'm aware of it and I recognize that it is just that. I don't let it override me. If you think that you can just let your mind take control of you when you are not mentally insane, then okay.
Sure there are people too depressed to the point of no return. I never said it would fix depression, but it's better than being negative all the time. Did I say it will miraculously fix it? I'm also not exclusively saying to think positively to mentally insane people. But if you are not insane yet, thinking negatively wouldn't do you any good.

Countries who have pharmaceutical companies pushing these pills have the highest depression rate. Because they want people to take their pills because money, so they want more people to think that they have depression and should take their pills even if it doesn't work, and they want people to think they have no control over their minds, (talking about non mentally insane people here.) If an advice doesn't work for you then don't pick it up. If people want to think they can't get a hold of their mind and they have become a slave to it, then okay.

I only said to think positively and now you're saying I am giving the cure to mental illnesses. Which I'm not.

If people don't want to think that they have more control on their minds and thoughts than they know, these are the people who mostly suffer because of it.

Does giving in to the hopelessness of your thoughts better than thinking positively? Does being pessimistic all the time help you or the people around you? Does thinking negatively make people feel better about themselves?

We all have our understandings of depression, I'll just agree to disagree and let it go. :B
Have a good one.
The hormonal thing is why most people will feel depressed occasionally. Clinical depression is when you feel like that most of the time, instead of only occasionally, and has a different chemical cause. There's no agreeing or disagreeing, it's medical science. We can also agree to disagree that swinging a pendulum over a woman's pregnant belly can predict whether she will have a boy or girl, but that doesn't change medical science.

Your argument is like saying, people sneeze when you tickle the inside of their nose, and I have never sneezed without my nose getting tickled, therefore the only cause of sneezing is tickling the inside of your nose and people with the flu should just stop tickling their nose if they want to feel better.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hormonal imbalances

Have a good one.
Literally more than half of what you referenced isn't discussing the point you tried to make (that chemical imbalances don't cause depression) but rather the fact that stress induced by depression is avoidable. Probably should read your quotes to be sure they are talking about what you think they are.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
That's wild--I've never talked to someone who uses the darknet; congress really needs to address the fact doctors legally prescribe addictive poison and Kratom is still taxable.

Kind of surprised you can't go to a gas station to find Kratom, I knew a few places that sold stuff they weren't supposed to years after the cut date.

I like the capsules because you know one cap is 500mg, which makes things easy when you have to figure out dosage. Do I actually like ingesting the capsules? Only when I want a timed release and that's usually done with a few open caps in a blended citrus juice or curry tea.
I use the darknet for quite a bit. It's loads cheaper and safer than dealing with retail stores and street dealers. I pay $20 for an ounce of kratom, and usually get a half ounce of a weaker strain for free from the vendor I use. When gas stations and headshops around here sold it they'd charge outrageous prices (like $30 for five grams). And luckily the DEA went back on its decision to schedule it and instead is leaving it up to the states to regulate it. Also, when I dose powder I use a measuring teaspoon which weighs out 1.22 grams when full. So it's rather easy to know how much I'm taking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o