Hacking Does the Wii DVD Dumper harm the Wii's laser?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It shouldn't. DVD lasers are built for constant reading. And some games do this too. Like the new call of duty for example, it's constantly reading new data.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
It shouldn't. DVD lasers are built for constant reading. And some games do this too. Like the new call of duty for example, it's constantly reading new data.

This would be true if the Wii had a DVD drive, it doesn't. It uses it's own.

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured the Wii must have some capacity for constant reading since Metroid Prime 3 makes the thing beep and moan all the time. I just don't know if the dumper puts an even greater strain on the system.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
MrBubbles said:
kedest said:

Then what kind of drive is it? I can't imagine Nintendo developing something totally new just for their console.
Besides, the drive cán read normal movie DVD's, it's just not in the normal software package.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrBubbles said:
kedest said:

Um, right...

So, you mean to tell me that despite the fact that the Wii now reads any DVD-R placed in it, the drive itself isn't meant to read DVDs?

The drive is a standard LiteOn DVD-ROM drive with Nintendo's Starlet acting as security.

Now, in reference to the topic:

The drive(including its laser) is no different than any other DVD-ROM drive. So, as long as you follow the same guidelines(ie: keep it away from direct heat, keep it clean, and don't put Lord of the Rings on loop and go on vacation) as any other piece of hardware, the drive will last as long as any other -- if not longer.

HazukiSon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God i'm sick of see this(Similar same fuckin thing tho) same dam question over and over again!

Yes of course it'll harm your wii! It'll fire lasers into the wii overheating components!!!

Lets see if we can start a new rumour!

Don't leave WC24 on anymore there is a mysterious hacker bricking wii's via it by scanning for wii ips!!! Everyone be safe and turn it off!
ninja.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
kedest said:
Then what kind of drive is it? I can't imagine Nintendo developing something totally new just for their console.
Besides, the drive cán read normal movie DVD's, it's just not in the normal software package.
A WOD Drive - Wii Optical Disc Drive. Just like the GCN had a GOD.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quim69 said:
kedest said:

They're both DVD-ROM drives.

There's no such thing as a WOD.

The only difference in the GameCube DVDROM drive is that the firmware was written for CLV, while DVD-RW drives write CAV.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
quim69 said:
kedest said:

The only difference in the GameCube DVDROM drive is that the firmware was written for CLV, while DVD-RW drives write CAV.

At high speed maybe... more likely to be CLV around the 4x/6x range. Either way, it's just a slightly customised matshita (ie panasonic) DVD-ROM.

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
God i'm sick of see this(Similar same fuckin thing tho) same dam question over and over again!

For being such a prevalent discussion topic, there sure isn't much information on it. The search feature didn't help me find the information I wanted, so I asked. If it were better documented somewhere there wouldn't be the need for this thread or ones similar to it.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
teq said:
No they aren't, as nintendo never licensed the DVD name. They are a Optical Disc technology designed by and licensed to them by panasonic/matsushita (I mean, you even made up that they are designed by lite-on).

QUOTE said:
Please, what is a wii disc then?

Look Here if you want to see the WOD specification detailed.

Or see Here if you want to see how it differs from a DVD-Rom that adheres to ECMA/ISO standards.

You obviously weren't around when wod images needed unscrambling..

You really do like to spread misinformation don't you? I have DVD-RW drives that are CAV, CLV and even a Z-CLV drive hanging around.

The gamecube drive is also CAV (as is the wii). Please, if you aren't sure (or just don't have a clue) then don't spread complete falsities about.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
quim69 said:
teq said:
No they aren't, as nintendo never licensed the DVD name. They are a Optical Disc technology designed by and licensed to them by panasonic/matsushita (I mean, you even made up that they are designed by lite-on).

QUOTE said:
Please, what is a wii disc then?

Look Here if you want to see the WOD specification detailed.

Or see Here if you want to see how it differs from a DVD-Rom that adheres to ECMA/ISO standards.

You obviously weren't around when wod images needed unscrambling..

You really do like to spread misinformation don't you? I have DVD-RW drives that are CAV, CLV and even a Z-CLV drive hanging around.

The gamecube drive is also CAV (as is the wii). Please, if you aren't sure (or just don't have a clue) then don't spread complete falsities about.

i would like to put this forward for 'best comeback with correct information of the week award' .
Excellent answers there quim69 , good links and informative - i love the info here - thanks

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, teq just got owned.

And yes, as FenrirWolf said, there isn't much information on this subject.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already