• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump thinks there should be rating boards for movies and video games.

SonowRaevius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you think the back of the box should look like?
Considering the fact that he has yet to respond to the first post to explain the exact same position and immediately assumed the reason I posted this was just to bash or show a bias against Trump, he's probably just trolling or trying to take some moral high ground that doesn't really exist.

I am legitimately surprised I wasn't called a liberal or "libtard" as well just for posting this...

Last edited by SonowRaevius,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skipping all the sensational clickbait garbage headlines
he is suggesting a revaluation of the current system, extreme violence (decapitated heads, rip/blow limbs off) is pretty easy to obtain a T ratting while any type of sexuality (even suggestive) automatically gets a M-AO ratting

Reactions: DarthDub

SonowRaevius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he is suggesting a revaluation of the current system, extreme violence (decapitated heads, rip/blow limbs off) is pretty easy to obtain a T ratting while any type of sexuality (even suggestive) automatically gets a M-AO ratting
From what I have read elsewhere a lot of people say "in context" that is what he is trying to say, but there is nothing really solid to that and is mostly people interjecting their opinions, but that doesn't mean it isn't true as well though.

Ultimately, the system currently works, and, even if violent movies, shows, or lyrics, were responsible for school shooting (which they aren't, studies have shown this) and we did put a more detailed rating system people would just continue doing what they are doing and nothing would change.

Overall, this is just a piss poor excuse to push the blame on to something that has nothing to do with subject at hand and is misdirection. The only thing more idiotic is the stupid increased tax on violent video games and movies to help pay for help for those with violent issues and tendencies.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone remember me why people elected this guy? :unsure:
Because a little less than 50% of our population REALLY don't like immigrants and REALLY want to keep their jobs in the coal sector
Because Facebook told them to do so.
Oh, yeah, that too. Can't forget the Russian social media propaganda campaign

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is he? From what I understand, he seems completely oblivious to the fact that a system even exists to begin with. I mean, this is a direct quote:
our Fearless Leader said:
I'm hearing more and more people say the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people's thoughts. And you go one further step and that's the movies. ... maybe they have to put a rating system for that

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
So what do you think the back of the box should look like?

Wait wait wait. So we're speaking about current rating system and how it could be more explicit about the content within a game as currently it lumps most categories of violence into one.

AAAAAAND you're asking me to to tell you what the back of every box moving forward should look like?

Sounds like a bit of lefty side-stepping the real issue to conflate what the real topic is. Haha, so desperately transparent. Bless you.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wait wait wait. So we're speaking about current rating system and how it could be more explicit about the content within a game as currently it lumps most categories of violence into one.

AAAAAAND you're asking me to to tell you what the back of every box moving forward should look like?

Sounds like a bit of lefty side-stepping the real issue to conflate what the real topic is. Haha, so desperately transparent. Bless you.
Yeah, the current rating system is pretty straight-forward.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Donald Trump says that he like pineapple on pizza!"
"Donald Trump says that his favorite singer is Justin Bieber!"
"Donald Trump did not washed hands after his visit in toilet!"

Who cares? People should stop to stick to some trivia things that Trump talk and do.

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways on topic this is a bit of biased news. He did not say there needed to be a rating system, he says there needs to be a clear rating system which let's parents etc know what the content of the game is. At the moment "teen" could mean shooting aliens or shooting hookers.

You can just go to the ESRB's website for further details which are very clear. Example: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=Grand Theft Auto V
Point is, parents should do a little research before buying their kid a game. That is the much bigger issue. Lots of parents don't even look at the rating so anything you put there gets overlooked anyways which is certainly not the ratings board's fault.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
"Donald Trump says that he like pineapple on pizza!"
"Donald Trump says that his favorite singer is Justin Bieber!"
"Donald Trump did not washed hands after his visit in toilet!"

Who cares? People should stop to stick to some trivia things that Trump talk and do.

The problem is he is the "PRESIDENT OF THE USA" what he says does matter as it is a reflection on the people he is representing.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem is he is the "PRESIDENT OF THE USA" what he says does matter as it is a reflection on the people he is representing.

I can guarantee you that every other president before him was talking as much or even worse bullshit, but none of them were specificaly a target of sensation-hungry media. Sure, Trump is a shitty president, but not because of some completely irrelevant trivia that he speaks.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can guarantee you that every other president before him was talking as much or even worse bullshit, but none of them were specificaly a target of sensation-hungry media. Sure, Trump is a shitty president, but not because of some completely irrelevant trivia that he speaks.
Curious, but do you have any examples of anything that matches the pointless unadulterated bullshit that's come out of 45's mouth?

Reactions: CallmeBerto

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People voted for this moron because the media and other people drill it into your heads that you only have two choices, him or hillary, and people also really didn't like Hillary. I know more people who voted for him because they hate her more than voted for him because they actually like him. Here's an idea: if people stop considering 3rd parties to be a joke, then they will get more finding and be able to give alteratives, forcing major parties to run candidates who aren't shit. We are one of if not the only country were only 2 parties have a chance to win. In every other major nation I know of they have 3, 4 or more major parties.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

You're the one who's saying that there's an issue, I'm merely asking what kind of warnings you'd like to see because I thought the current system was clear enough at providing a brief description/overview.

No not to rewrite the whole ERSB but to provide an example, for example, here's the rating for Halo 5 'Teen: Blood, Mild Language, Violence'.

What kind of label would you like to see that would be clearer?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It was a joke bruh. I agree 100%
I know you were joking.

Because a little less than 50% of our population REALLY don't like immigrants and REALLY want to keep their jobs in the coal sector

Oh, yeah, that too. Can't forget the Russian social media propaganda campaign
They risk deportation and jail just to cross the border. Migrant workers sleep on cold floors while they send money back to their families in Mexico. The stuff they have to go through just to support their families and make a living.

People have not really considered how some of these jobs a very hard. Agricultural industry is one of the top dangerous professions out there along with mining. Wind blows the chemicals they spray onto crops back to them and gets soaked in their bodies through open wounds on their hands and they develop brain problems latter on and cancer. They are also at high risk for amputation of a arm, leg and finger. Average life span is 40 yrs working in agriculture. We easily put food in the microwave that someone else probably had one of their limbs chopped off to provide it for us. They risk all this this to provide for their families.

In mining it isn't just coal. Its also Metal, oil, gas extraction. Eye glasses has metal and plastic in them which is made from mining coal and petroleum. Light bulbs has tungsten, mercury, and phosphorus. Electricity to give us light travels from copper and aluminum wires. Generators to make this work has copper, and the turbines is made from tungsten, and they are powered by steam which is made from coal, uranium and oil.

Clothing we wear has iron in them which his made from iron ore, limestone and coal. Computers has plastic, glass, phosphorus, and a bunch of other metals that are mined. Paper is made from sulfuric acid, which is what you get from refining petroleum and sulfide metal ores. Papers that are acid free has calcium carbonate, which is limestone. The adhesive to hold pages together in books is made from petroleum. Mining is one of the most dangerous professions. Every week rocks fall from ceilings and causes concussions and deaths. There are dangling wires that can electrocute workers and equipment that can butcher them. All these conveniences we take for granted are at the risk of someone else life and health.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In mining it isn't just coal. Its also Metal, oil, gas extraction. Eye glasses has metal and plastic in them which is made from mining coal and petroleum. Light bulbs has tungsten, mercury, and phosphorus. Electricity to give us light travels from copper and aluminum wires. Generators to make this work has copper, and the turbines is made from tungsten, and they are powered by steam which is made from coal, uranium and oil.

Clothing we wear has iron in them which his made from iron ore, limestone and coal. Computers has plastic, glass, phosphorus, and a bunch of other metals that are mined. Paper is made from sulfuric acid, which is what you get from refining petroleum and sulfide metal ores. Papers that are acid free has calcium carbonate, which is limestone. The adhesive to hold pages together in books is made from petroleum. Mining is one of the most dangerous professions. Every week rocks fall from ceilings and causes concussions and deaths. There are dangling wires that can electrocute workers and equipment that can butcher them. All these conveniences we take for granted are at the risk of someone else life and health.
You lost me here, what's the point that you were trying to make?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.