Doogee S98 Smartphone First Impressions

gbatemp_review_banner_doogee_s98_android_phone.jpg

When Doogee announced the S98 rugged smartphone in early March, there wasn't too much fanfare surrounding the delightfully intriguing form factor other than a slew of queries regarding its unlikely use of an actual smartwatch embedded in the rear as a secondary screen. Does it do much? Is it necessary? Or is it simply overkill?

I can say that my first impressions of the device were similarly formed. However, the additional screen is, rather surprisingly, really starting to grow on me! Controlling media, checking notifications, and simply checking the time is now more fun than ever, with a dedicated 1.2" screen for customizing, interacting with, and simply enjoying.

What wasn't so excitedly indicated in its initial rumours and news bites, was the sheer heft of it in hand and its genuinely incredible hardware loadout that includes an actual 20MP night vision camera as standard! With the device firmly planted in my hands since it arrived on Tuesday morning, I can honestly say that come rain or shine, I simply can not put it down, especially in the pitch dark!

IMG_3385.jpg

Giving the phone a once over, visually, it definitely puts me in mind of those 90's JCB or CAT branded phones that were made to be dunked in wet concrete and run over by a tractor; this phone is rock solid and an absolute unit to boot! The screen is a huge, bright and vibrant 6.3" 19:9 FHD+ gorilla glass-coated water-drop screen with full metal chassis keeping it secure, plentiful seals around the main ingress points, and heavy-duty military-grade rubber inflexions to protect the corners, the S98 is made for submersion and scuffs, it's built to be dropped or stomped on, and it is certainly tough enough to survive even the most severe impacts you may encounter in day to day life!

IMG_3390.jpg

This is very much the rugged phone internally too, with a beefy 6000MaH battery to fuel its 2.05 GHz 8-Core MediaTek helio G9 CPU, paired with Arm Mali-G57 GPU, for up to 432 hrs standby, 20+ hours of calls, or roughly 10 solid hours of gaming or media ingestion, while giving you 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage and a plethora of outdoor-come-productivity apps such as Under Water Camera, Gradienter, Height Meter, Compass, Plum bob and laser level-style Painting Hanging apps pre-bundled as standard. It's got 15w wireless charging, 33W (2hr) turbo-charging, a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, face ID, expandable storage, dual sim card slots and it is all powered and secured by Android 12.

IMG_3392.jpg

Amongst the triple rear camera, of which you will find a 64MP main lens, an 8MP wide-angle snapper, and a dedicated 20MP night vision camera with IR illuminator baked into the stylish rear detailing. Originally I assumed that the camera mode would be for low lighting, a 'nightshot' style mode, something minorly tacked on to up the feature count, but on closer inspection, and pummelling my expectations into yesterday: the night vision is legit, professional-grade technology, that is incredibly useful, intuitively injected into the software and thoroughly noteworthy. I have been all around my house, ghost hunting, and trying to find any caveats with the tech, and honestly, so far it holds up remarkably!

Keep your eyes peeled for my full review on how the Doogee S98 handles day to day life and much more very soon!

:arrow: Doogee S98 official site link

:arrow: Doogee S98 Doogeemall link

:arrow: Doogee S98 Aliexpress link

Product trailer:

Attachments

• IMG_3391.jpg
    IMG_3391.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3389.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 53

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The design of cell phones these days look all the same, I mean, it's not like there's much space to be creative, but would be nice to see something different.

At least the rear with the clock looks pretty cool.

Reactions: KiiWii

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The design of cell phones these days look all the same, I mean, it's not like there's much space to be creative, but would be nice to see something different.

At least the rear with the clock looks pretty cool.
I think you are underestimating how trash MediaTek is

these specs are pretty trash and the only thing this phone has going for it is the Night Vision Camera

Reactions: ZeroFX

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you are underestimating how trash MediaTek is

these specs are pretty trash and the only thing this phone has going for it is the Night Vision Camera
Think you misunderstood me, I was specifically talking about the design itself.

Even Apple can't break from having that bland, vague, generic iPhone design that they all have. Cell phones used to look different during the "brick" era.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even that capacity is still tiny, to be blunt.

Unfortunately since most that can afford to buy a new phone every week are the same people that never leave their cubicle for even a bathroom break, of course it's designed to cater to them.

At this point in time, I would have probably been happy enough with something like my lg v20, but, with a 5g radio tacked on.

Instead, it is just a sea of sealed battery trash. For as long as I've been alive, no factory battery lasts anywhere near what it advertises. And no sealed battery phone even lasted a single year of use, let alone a single working day with me.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
IMO rugged phones are ugly.

But holy crap!
Those are not specs a mere android phone should have.
Android phones already have these specs, and much, much better. That CPU is less than a 3-generation old Snapdragon 730. The GPU is a mid-range GPU with more offerings already put into phones as of 2 years ago. Android phones are coming with 512GB of storage, and some even have 12 or 16 GB of RAM. The 6000 mAh battery is close to a mere Android phone not having, but a few gaming phones do have that.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have the s88plus , lower specs but bigger battery (10000mah), upgraded 1 yr ago from the s88pro lol i broke it , im very very rough with my phone . i have my switch for gaming and my pc and eventually a steamdeck , i dont need my phone to be overpowered , i need my phone to last lol . i can also charge stuffs via the usb-c port or wirelessly . the only downside i see is the lack of update pass a certain point since thats the classic chinese phone compagnies move .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo