Homebrew doom

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: this too https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/blob/master/src/d_main.c#L783

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Looks like I can just modify one of the cases for the switch statement?

The different cases are checked in order. Not sure if you have files in the root directory - but that is early in the order. For 3dsx it is easiest to just put the files in the same directory as the 3dsx itself - and not in any of the other locations. Also keep in mind there are two versions of prboom for the 3ds. Wintermute released a version as well after I released this one. If you you can enable 3D then you have this version. If you can't then you have the other version.

Reactions: democracy

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: this too https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/blob/master/src/d_main.c#L783

The different cases are checked in order. Not sure if you have files in the root directory - but that is early in the order. For 3dsx it is easiest to just put the files in the same directory as the 3dsx itself - and not in any of the other locations. Also keep in mind there are two versions of prboom for the 3ds. Wintermute released a version as well after I released this one. If you you can enable 3D then you have this version. If you can't then you have the other version.

Got it working, Nice:)

Thank you for the help!

In an effort to make the root of my sdcard look a bit more organised, here is a custom build that changes the path of wads to load and save directory to;
\Nintendo 3DS\d0171af1b3e43c31bbe0686c583244e\doom

https://mega.nz/#!XNBg1SqQ!p4SUqc_FLEUxZlhuqkO-L0ymCKPkuua-hBGdKoTUEJA

Still trying to figure out how to move prboom.cfg and transmap.dat... If anyone know, let me know. For now I have run out of time but will like to look at this again in the future.

P.S. I recently realised I get full frame-rate by enabling clock+L2 in Luma or Kecleon config.

Last edited by democracy,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
updated version if anyone wants to give it a go
https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/releases/tag/v0.3-alpha

for interested testers:
if you have luma3ds and have exception handlers enabled (or can enable them) then please send me any stack dumps for the cia version - the 3dsx version stack dumps are useless for some reason.
also if someone can send me a save file or instructions that I can use to reproduce the elevator/lift issue easily that would be helpful.

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
updated version if anyone wants to give it a go
https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/releases/tag/v0.3-alpha

for interested testers:
if you have luma3ds and have exception handlers enabled (or can enable them) then please send me any stack dumps for the cia version - the 3dsx version stack dumps are useless for some reason.
also if someone can send me a save file or instructions that I can use to reproduce the elevator/lift issue easily that would be helpful.
Initial testing and everything feels and looks good! The sound support is great, even if a little "farty" sounding (but I think a lot of doom ports have that kind of sound, so it's all good). The controls are good too. I'm playing on a N3DS, so I mapped camera controls to the c-stick and movement to the circle pad. Feels great!

I didn't encounter any crashes during gameplay. I started a new save for "The Ultimate Doom" and progressed to E1M2 with no issues whatsoever. The only "crash" I got was when trying to exit to the home menu. I pressed the home menu, which successfully suspended the game, but when I pressed "close" the system crashed. I have exception handlers enabled, but for whatever reason I didn't get one, it just rebooted my system. In my dumps folder, I have some dump files, but I think those are for other programs. I can most certainly clean that folder up and check there again after I reproduce the issue. It isn't a big issue, but one I thought I'd let you know about nonetheless.

All that aside, thank you for taking the time to return to this port! I freaking love doom, and having it on the 3DS is pretty freaking rad, especially with 3D support! As always, I look forward to any future development on the project! :D

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initial testing and everything feels and looks good! The sound support is great, even if a little "farty" sounding (but I think a lot of doom ports have that kind of sound, so it's all good). The controls are good too. I'm playing on a N3DS, so I mapped camera controls to the c-stick and movement to the circle pad. Feels great!

I didn't encounter any crashes during gameplay. I started a new save for "The Ultimate Doom" and progressed to E1M2 with no issues whatsoever. The only "crash" I got was when trying to exit to the home menu. I pressed the home menu, which successfully suspended the game, but when I pressed "close" the system crashed. I have exception handlers enabled, but for whatever reason I didn't get one, it just rebooted my system. In my dumps folder, I have some dump files, but I think those are for other programs. I can most certainly clean that folder up and check there again after I reproduce the issue. It isn't a big issue, but one I thought I'd let you know about nonetheless.

All that aside, thank you for taking the time to return to this port! I freaking love doom, and having it on the 3DS is pretty freaking rad, especially with 3D support! As always, I look forward to any future development on the project! :D
new version to fix the crash on close from the home menu
https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/releases/tag/v0.3.1-alpha

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
prboom3ds - a version of doom based on prboom 2.5 and code brazenly stolen from dsdoom and other ports. it has 3d and sound - while not exactly perfect it does run.

newest version requires doom wad files and prboom.wad in the /3ds/prboom3ds/ directory.
(old versions used the root directory)

lots of graphical glitches and you need to play with the 3d slider to make it look decent.

release link https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/releases
v0.3.1-alpha is the latest version
Where does the IWAD go if we're using the CIA?

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where does the IWAD go if we're using the CIA?
It says where to put the files in the post you quoted...

Hello @elhobbs
Just wondering... Does this port of prboom have mp3/ogg support for music?
No. It plays the the native mus files directly from the wad.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
not sure what happened on the github release page. but I noticed that version 0.3.1-alpha was showing as created in February 2016. so, I created a new 0.4-alpha release so that it would (hopefully) be less confusing figuring out what to download.
https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds/releases

Thanks for the update, this version is a big improvement, runs pretty much perfectly on N3DS!

The default keybindings also seemed to be a little 'off' for the 3DS layout, with some buttons unmapped. Here's my config, if anyone wants to use it (place prboom.cfg in sdmc:\3ds\prboom3ds):

A- Fire
B- Use
X- Run
Y- Enter
L/R- Strafe
zL/zR- Cycle Weapons
Select- Toggle Automap follow
Start- Menu
Circle Pad- Move
Dpad- Navigate menus and automap (follow must be off)

Touchscreen buttons:

L1- Chainsaw
L2- Pistol
L3- Plasma
L4- BFG
R1- Shotgun
R2- Chaingun
R3- SSG
R4- Rocket
1- Fist
0- Toggle automap on/off

Attachments

• cfg_prboom3ds.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by coinblock, , Reason: added touchscreen buttons
Reactions: MattKimura

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any mods that I can play with this?

I've had prboom3ds for a while, but it's kinda boring when you only have access to a few official wads...

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are there any mods that I can play with this?

I've had prboom3ds for a while, but it's kinda boring when you only have access to a few official wads...
I'm trying to get smooth weapons on prboom3ds, but those seems to be a little broken. Also for mods would be better that this port loads dehacked mods like Doom Retro does since prboom doesn't support to many characters as Doom Retro does.

Reactions: Garblant

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get smooth weapons on prboom3ds, but those seems to be a little broken. Also for mods would be better that this port loads dehacked mods like Doom Retro does since prboom doesn't support to many characters as Doom Retro does.
I am not really a dehacked expert, but to my knowledge I think this does support dehacked mods. prboom3ds is a port of prboom 2.5 which does support dehacked mods.
However, looking at this particular mod a bit - it does not appear to be a vanilla doom compatible dehacked mod. it looks like it requires a zdoom compatible/enhanced engine, and therefore is not supported by prboom 2.5 (or this port).

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update, this version is a big improvement, runs pretty much perfectly on N3DS! But, I have just a couple of suggestions for future updates:

-Give us an option to turn off the bottom screen or hide the text
-Enlarge the number keys for swapping weapons on the alternate bottom screen display so they're easier to press with your fingers

The default keybindings also seemed to be a little 'off' for the 3DS layout, with some buttons unmapped. Here's my config, if anyone wants to use it (place on SD root):

A- Fire
B- Use
X- Run
Y- Enter
L/R- Strafe
zL/zR- Cycle Weapons
Select- Map
I put minimal effort into setting the default key bindings. The keys are configurable and no matter what I pick it wont please everyone.
I like the idea of the bigger buttons on the mini numpad. I will try to add that while I move the automap to the bottom screen. I might move the hud to the bottom too... not sure.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, could the ability to jump be added?

(If it's not already in prboom3ds)

(EDIT: I'm a noob when it comes to doom and prboom, if you think that the question sounds really stupid. I saw that the feature was added yup the original prboom at one point, however.)

Last edited by Garblant,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, could the ability to jump be added?

(If it's not already in prboom3ds)

(EDIT: I'm a noob when it comes to doom and prboom, if you think that the question sounds really stupid. I saw that the feature was added yup the original prboom at one point, however.)
no. I will not be adding that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1