Hacking Dragonboot for Atmosphere / generic rcm tools

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again and thank you for your answer. Looking at the github your file was named dragonboot_1-00.uf2 but the one in my R4S dongle was named CURRENT.UF2 . Do I have to change your file name to CURRENT.UF2 or can I just put it in as is ?

and could you please confirm if my R4S could work with your dragonboot ?

To tell the truth I'm quite a noob and this dongle is second-handed so I don't even know what that CURRENT.UF2 was supposed to be doing. The way I used this dongle was to plug it in with switch along with jig and then hold volume+ with power button which would bring me to hekate menu, at which point I would choose payload then > fusee.bin and it would boot into atmos. Would this qualify my R4S to work with dragonboot ?

Attachments

• ehhhhhhhhh.png
    ehhhhhhhhh.png
    121 KB · Views: 32
  • exxxx.png
    exxxx.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 35

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm wondering why this thread was necro-bumped and why it's even necessary at all. Hekate has come with an extra copy of the hekate payload (bootloader/update.bin) since September 20, 2021, so there hasn't been a need to update the dongle ever again in the first place, after that. It will ALWAYS check the SD card for a newer version, and load that version instead of what's on your dongle, if it's newer. If you're a fusee user, you can setup hekate to autoboot fusee as well.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm wondering why this thread was necro-bumped and why it's even necessary at all. Hekate has come with an extra copy of the hekate payload (bootloader/update.bin) since September 20, 2021, so there hasn't been a need to update the dongle ever again in the first place, after that. It will ALWAYS check the SD card for a newer version, and load that version instead of what's on your dongle, if it's newer. If you're a fusee user, you can setup hekate to autoboot fusee as well.
There can be more than one solution. I do not boot through Hekate unless I need the UMS or NAND functions. Ever. Even then I do not use the Hekate payload directly, I chain it through Tesla/FastCFWswitch. You can load with arguments so I have entries for specific functions all in a context menu, Works great. Never liked using Hekate to chain Fusee. It wasn't the reccommended method and I am fine how I have it, Dragonboot is for the Dragon Injector. I love that thing. Used it yesterday, I don't see using dragon boot for any other injectors but it works so why not?

Fusee is easier. I update Atmo and done, no second update of Hekate.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There can be more than one solution. I do not boot through Hekate unless I need the UMS or NAND functions. Ever. Even then I do not use the Hekate payload directly, I chain it through Tesla/FastCFWswitch. You can load with arguments so I have entries for specific functions all in a context menu, Works great. Never liked using Hekate to chain Fusee. It wasn't the reccommended method and I am fine how I have it, Dragonboot is for the Dragon Injector. I love that thing. Used it yesterday, I don't see using dragon boot for any other injectors but it works so why not?

Fusee is easier. I update Atmo and done, no second update of Hekate.
I actually boot proper AMS with Hekate. I've put it on 0 sec boot, so I never see Hekate even booting.
Why do I do it like this? It's because the ease of using Hekate to update my Switch, backup it up etc. Think of it a little bit like "Priiloader" back in the Wii days.

My dragonboot my Hekate perfectly fine. I still recommend any newbie user to use Hekate, but not to boot with fss0.

Corgano

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Apart from making backups of NAND or doing other niche tasks (setting auto RCM, some of the memory tools for upgrading NAND size use Hekate) I have never seen any reason or advantages to boot into it in daily use. Neither method is incorrect, the main reason for this payload is convenience and simplicity

I updated the payload on my RCM injector (and my phone for rekado) to this dragonboot payload back around the 10.0.0 system update, and haven't updated them or did any dicking around with payloads since (apart from occasionally updating lockpick rcm). It just works and there's value there.
Before: copy atmosphere files to SD overwriting existing, download fusee payload, plug in injector, update payload, plug in phone, update payload, done.
Now: Copy atmosphere files to SD overwriting existing, done.

It's entirely possible with your particular setup you still need to update payloads or you're booting through something else in which case you update atmosphere AND hekate, etc. so you genuinely see no benefit. That's fine. This isn't for you. This is for people booting atmosphere who don't want to manually manage payloads

Reactions: Dust2dust

Artemis21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a noob question, the structure of my RCM load looks like this, where should I put the dragonboot .bin file? I only ever run atmosphere (no hekate or other things).

Screenshot 2023-12-01 alle 20.44.47.png

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I have a noob question, the structure of my RCM load looks like this, where should I put the dragonboot .bin file? I only ever run atmosphere (no hekate or other things).

View attachment 406817
Doesn't matter as long as you change the payload on the dongle via the little plus button. I dunno why, but putting payloads into the hekate or atmosphere folders never worked for me. That's why i putted payloads like this or lockpick for example in the USER1, USER2 or USER3 folders.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a noob question, the structure of my RCM load looks like this, where should I put the dragonboot .bin file?

It can go in any of the folders as long as you've selected the corresponding color using the dongle button and LED. Note that in case it wasn't obvious, you'll have to rename dragonboot.bin to payload.bin.

For instance, I have no desire to purchase SX OS, so I threw it in the SXOS folder, renamed to payload.bin. In order to launch it, I need to hit the plus button on the dongle until the LED turns red.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

View attachment 406817
It looks like you have two payloads in each folder, the one with the prefix 1_ is not used, and is probably a backup of the original that came with your RCM Loader. Considering the space is limited on this device, you might consider deleting those. Anyway, you chose the right payload for a replacement. You can copy it to every folder, and of course renaming to payload.bin. That way, it won't matter which led color you're using at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same