Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, really.
Exactly. Anecdotally, I've not had a single thermal issue with either of mine in over a year of pretty hardcore use but that's not proof of anything either.

BTW, apparently you're the one not paying attention to the thread since my previous advice to him was regarding the PSU being the culprit.
No, I read it...it just makes your replies to me utterly pointless. Your psu has held up, good for you. For others, perhaps not. Get it?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, I read it...it just makes your replies to me utterly pointless. Your psu has held up, good for you. For others, perhaps not. Get it?
Yes, your anecdotal evidence is the only one you care about, we get it, pretty standard millennial attitude.

Btw genius, you solved your crashing/overheating problem by adding a FAN.. but no, it was the extra load that helped lol.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, your anecdotal evidence is the only one you care about, we get it, pretty standard millennial attitude.

Btw genius, you solved your crashing/overheating problem by adding a FAN.. but no, it was the extra load that helped lol.
1. Not a millennial, lol. Do you think trying to help someone is indicative of a particular generation? Or are you just woefully stupid across the board?
2. Already had a larger fan...doesn't solve the 12v issue until you do a 12v fan mod, genius. The psu itself runs hotter without said mod, simply a fact...
3. I suggested the op try a 12v mod(i went with fan mod, he added resistors) which is more than your truly unhelpful anecdotal evidence has provided.
4. You are just being a contrarian, despite the op clearly having issues related to prolonged usage...which is exactly what the mod(s) are for, lol.
5. Don't even bother responding, as it will just be more horseshit spewing forth that literally no one cares about.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

I decided to try it an third time BUT:

https://retrogamesultra.com/2019/02/17/sega-dreamcast-gdemu-installation-and-setup/

This time I will use this Advise and get 3x1Kohm 1/4W resistors in parallel.

View attachment 174450
Missed this post...so, did you do this to the psu that already fried out two boards? Because I would honestly throw that one away. I recommend either swap with a different psu and do the mod, or go full swing and replace it with a dreampsu or picopsu.
Also, just out of curiosity, what does the topside of your gd-rom shield say? 3.3v?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Missed this post...so, did you do this to the psu that already fried out two boards? Because I would honestly throw that one away. I recommend either swap with a different psu and do the mod, or go full swing and replace it with a dreampsu or picopsu.
Also, just out of curiosity, what does the topside of your gd-rom shield say? 3.3v?
This is not my picture,that is from the Link/Guide.I have ordered an GDemu and the Resistors today.:)

Reactions: coffinbirth

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not my picture,that is from the Link/Guide.I have ordered an GDemu and the Resistors today.:)
Ah, ok.
Again, I would not use the same psu that fried your other two gdemu boards!
Also, I would REALLY check all three of your consoles and ensure that they say 3.3v on the gd-rom. If they don't...gdemu will work for a short time, hours maybe just minutes, but it will eventually get fried.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ah, ok.
Again, I would not use the same psu that fried your other two gdemu boards!
Also, I would REALLY check all three of your consoles and ensure that they say 3.3v on the gd-rom. If they don't...gdemu will work for a short time, hours maybe just minutes, but it will eventually get fried.
When the Resistors delivered,I will FIRST check this.Thank you.:)

Reactions: coffinbirth

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Not a millennial, lol. Do you think trying to help someone is indicative of a particular generation? Or are you just woefully stupid across the board?
2. Already had a larger fan...doesn't solve the 12v issue until you do a 12v fan mod, genius. The psu itself runs hotter without said mod, simply a fact...
3. I suggested the op try a 12v mod(i went with fan mod, he added resistors) which is more than your truly unhelpful anecdotal evidence has provided.
4. You are just being a contrarian, despite the op clearly having issues related to prolonged usage...which is exactly what the mod(s) are for, lol.
5. Don't even bother responding, as it will just be more horseshit spewing forth that literally no one cares about.
The numbered responses are a great idea,

1. Your attitude is indicative of the stereotypical millennial this forum is plagued by so it was an easy (lazy) assumption on my part.

2. Stating "simply a fact" is not scientific, neither is prodding it with pinky fingers or whatever you used to determine the near-explosiveness earlier. The components in the power supply are designed to run very hot and it would be hard to tell a few degrees increase without probes. Having said that, it only makes sense that such an increase would occur by removing the GDROM load, my point is that it would still be within spec and nothing to worry about.

3. Suggesting the OP add a fan or resistors without knowing the underlying cause is not particularly helpful. The most likely cause seems to be a faulty PSU on one of the 3 Dreamcasts, but again without further testing it's hard to be sure. I did suggest the OP invest in a PicoPSU (not sure if it was this thread or a different one) as a faulty PSU could be the reason the GDROM drive was fried in the first place.

4. The OP had one prolonged use case and one only several minutes, you can't pick and choose the one that fits your theory, you have to take both and assume that the fault was not related to period of use.

5. I decided to bother responding, despite the implications to your ego, as I have a bit of free time before breakfast. BTW, your use of "literally" is incorrect, as is your assumption that "no one cares". Again, your ego is not the voice of the general public, it might serve you well to learn to reel it in.

Last edited by subcon959,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The numbered responses are a great idea,

1. Your attitude is indicative of the stereotypical millennial this forum is plagued by so it was an easy (lazy) assumption on my part.

2. Stating "simply a fact" is not scientific, neither is prodding it with pinky fingers or whatever you used to determine the near-explosiveness earlier. The components in the power supply are designed to run very hot and it would be hard to tell a few degrees increase without probes. Having said that, it only makes sense that such an increase would occur by removing the GDROM load, my point is that it would still be within spec and nothing to worry about.

3. Suggesting the OP add a fan or resistors without knowing the underlying cause is not particularly helpful. The most likely cause seems to be a faulty PSU on one of the 3 Dreamcasts, but again without further testing it's hard to be sure. I did suggest the OP invest in a PicoPSU (not sure if it was this thread or a different one) as a faulty PSU could be the reason the GDROM drive was fried in the first place.

4. The OP had one prolonged use case and one only several minutes, you can't pick and choose the one that fits your theory, you have to take both and assume that the fault was not related to period of use.

5. I decided to bother responding, despite the implications to your ego, as I have a bit of free time before breakfast. BTW, your use of "literally" is incorrect, as is your assumption that "no one cares". Again, your ego is not the voice of the general public, it might serve you well to learn to reel it in.

Yikes. Where to even begin...
1. This doesn't even make sense. You started this "conversation" with raw ignorance and subsequently haven't shown otherwise.

2. LOL. You CANNOT be serious.
You clearly do not know what you are talking about here, guy. First of all,"high temp" psu's tend to cap at 60*c...the DC psu is NOT in that category, and with normal usage they run at around 45-50*c. My otherwise stock DC with gdemu clocked at 68*c(!) with my IR Thermometer(not my fucking fingers), high 50's(don't remember) with shrouds and a larger fan, and 51*c with the 12v fan mod.
68*c is exploding caps hot, hence why I said it... and led me to check continuity across the entire psu to make sure. You could SMELL it. And if you're doing the math here, not simply "a few degrees", and only after the 12v fan mod did my DC go back to operating temps it was designed for. Anecdotal, yes(not all DC units do this)...but FACTUAL, and certainly not guesswork. I mean, wow.

Say it with me, Ther-mom-e-ter.

3&4. Prolonged use of a psu above spec operating temp can do allllll kinds of shit, but it's pointing towards a power spike when the unit is powered down, which can happen with a blown fuse or resistor...This is what I'd place bets on. Whether that occurred prior to the gdemu installation or because of it is not something anyone could possibly answer, and exactly why I told them to use a different psu altogether. Having said that, I've never heard of even a single stock DC frying a gdrom drive. Shot lasers from overuse, but not electrical damage.

5. HA! Pick up a fucking dictionary and learn that words have, ahem...a literal definition, or multiple definitions, and informal usage. (You should've learned that at about 10 years old.) Ego, lol. No, buddy.... you're just not very sharp, and talking to people like you is a goddamned chore.

I am trying to help this guy. WTF are you doing other than sounding like a millennial(ironic af) shitposter? Seriously, contribute or shut the fuck up already.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

These are all the same EXACT psu, in case you didn't realize. I'm not familiar with them, but at first blush they appear to be aiming for an oem replacement. In other words, they look like a stock dc psu. I've never heard of any of those 'brands" before, and are likely just slapped on by the reseller.

If you really NEED to have three functioning Dreamcasts, go for it, otherwise I would just designate one of them as a parts machine and cannibalize the psu and swap it into the target DC. This is assuming, of course, they are all the same exact model.

You REALLY need to check your gd-rom shield and make sure that it says 3.3v before buying anything else though to ensure you're not plopping this thing onto the wrong mainboard.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
REALLY need to check your gd-rom shield and make sure that it says 3.3v before buying anything else though to ensure you're not plopping this thing onto the wrong mainboard.

Sorry,I did not answer your question,I overread it.Excuse me for that.
I do this already.
2x Samsung with 3.3v and 1x Yamaha with 3.3v.:)

Thank you for your evaluation on that Power Supllies.
I have to buy one one of them first to try it with the GD-Rom and after that I swap it with the GDemu.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@coffinbirth Lol, didn't take much prodding to bring out your true personality. Anger management is a thing, I hear they can do wonders for people with aggression issues. I suggest sooner, rather than later, based on your rabid public outburst.

@alexander1970 the PicoPSU is just a nice modern solution but not essential. It's not that difficult to refurbish the DC power supply (or even buy a spare one on ebay).

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So which is better remove the 12v or add a 12v Fan? And where to put it?

Is this the reason for the GDEMU Clone Failing?

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@coffinbirth Lol, didn't take much prodding to bring out your true personality. Anger management is a thing, I hear they can do wonders for people with aggression issues. I suggest sooner, rather than later, based on your rabid public outburst.

A SHOCKING conclusion.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So which is better remove the 12v or add a 12v Fan? And where to put it?

Is this the reason for the GDEMU Clone Failing?

It really depends on your DC. Some seem to get hotter than others. Proper airflow from the stock fan is enough for some, larger fan, 12v mod, 12v fan mod for others.
Personally, my DC got dangerously hot, so i did the 12v fan mod, and now its back to normal operating temp. I also have a second fan for directly pulling heat away from the mainboard and dchdmi mod, but thats a whole other thing, haha.
Head on over to assemblergames.com to check schematics and stuff.
GDEMU can fail for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to psu issues caused by overheating.

Last edited by coffinbirth,
Reactions: CORE

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry,I did not answer your question,I overread it.Excuse me for that.
I do this already.
2x Samsung with 3.3v and 1x Yamaha with 3.3v.:)

Thank you for your evaluation on that Power Supllies.
I have to buy one one of them first to try it with the GD-Rom and after that I swap it with the GDemu.

No worries, I just wanted to ensure that portion was covered.
And it sounds like you should be fine there.
Sounds like a plan!

CORE

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@coffinbirth The Fan should be Exhausting should it not?
I have one with a metal fan screwed to the Heatplate but it is sucking Air in. seperate plastic shroud.
I had another Dreamcast but I imagine it was exhausting the air out , it is a plastic fan screwed to shroud.

Where did you place your 2nd Fan? at rear vent like a Laptop fan or are you using Noctua Fan Mod that seems to be popular , I have plenty of Fans just dont have any with x3 Wires the Control sensor wire.

I was planning to join a 12v 40mm spliced into Dreamcast Fan connector replacing it , and maybe adding another attached via 12v and ground Pins via PSU.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to join a 12v 40mm spliced into Dreamcast Fan connector replacing it , and maybe adding another attached via 12v and ground Pins via PSU.
You'll need to use a 5V fan if you're connecting to the fan header. Also, it won't spin the fan without a tach signal which you need bypass with a 10k resistor.

CORE

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I went ahead 12v regulator and resistor removed.

PSU still gets hot as expected I guess either PICO or Dream PSU is a more viable option.

12v Fan Mod is still an option just how to place a Fan and to take into consideration some case modding additional ventilation.

GDEMU Clone and 128GB SDCard Reader Dreamshell rc4 loads through GDEMU.
12v Regulator and Resistor removed that my setup.

I have a spare PSU perhaps make a few refinements and add 12v Fan just these old electronics do tend to smell awful.

I will also be looking into replacing the stock Fan thanks 4 the info @subcon959

Last edited by CORE,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_