Status
Not open for further replies.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too have done the above recently just rebuilding and shrinking GDI Library with nice Disc Art.

Extract GDI
Insert Custom PVR Art
Rebuild GDI
Shrink GDI
Test GDI
Works Yeah...
Dont Work No....
Try Dreamshell and use Custom Art

CDIs are complicated to extract and Rebuild... So probably end up using Dreamshell because I want Custom Artwork.

Busy Busy Busy... Bit tedious but unfortunately no AIO Tool to do the job atleast not with a GUI.

Last edited by CORE,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Cubed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any significant difference between GDemu clones 5.5, 5.15 and 5.15b that impacts real use and warrants the price difference?
As I understand it, these are the differences:

- 5.5 uses another crystal than the original. Does this even matter?
- 5.15 uses the same cystal as the original but has a flimsy SD reader.
- 5.15b uses the same crystal as 5.15 but sports a metal SD reader.

If I'm careful when changing the SD card, maybe the cheaper 5.5 is the better option?

Last edited by Cubed,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Is there any significant difference between GDemu clones 5.5, 5.15 and 5.15b that impacts real use and warrants the price difference?
As I understand it, these are the differences:

- 5.5 uses another crystal than the original. Does this even matter?
- 5.15 uses the same cystal as the original but has a flimsy SD reader.
- 5.15b uses the same crystal as 5.15 but sports a metal SD reader.

If I'm careful when changing the SD card, maybe the cheaper 5.5 is the better option?

You can use this SD Card Extension Part
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://gbatemp.net/threads/dreamcast-gdemu-from-aliexpress-amazon.533300/page-8#post-9211649

Then Card change should no longer a Problem with different SD Readers.:)

For the Firmware - I think the minor Changes are from 5.13 up to 5.15 and was mainly about the Bootloader.
I can not say,which Games are "affected" but personal I did not notice some Issues (using v5.15.0).

But I think v5.5 is REALLY not recommended (since I found no "offical" Release...)

Thank you.:)

P.S.: ....do not forget to maybe do something against the "Heat" (v12 Rail) after replacing the GD Rom with the GDemu (Clone).

Reactions: Cubed

BooBoo02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

After many years i am wanting to game again on my Dreamcast. Although my GDROM still is working ok, i have ordered a GDEMU clone from ebay. I have been doing a lot of research about it the last few days. Everything i have read such as extra heat from the PSU, how to get better air flow, fan mods, adding resisters to the PSU 12v to keep it cool, ect ect have all been things that people have experienced and there is a whole lot of evidence on the internet about these. What i have not found is any proof that updating the firmware on a clone causes it to become bricked. I know in the past that a lot of other cloned devices have bricked after an official firmware update and they are all true documented cases because people did actually try to update their device. In the case of the GDEMU, i have not read about a single case of a clone GDEMU being updated and bricked. I just read a lot of comments saying not to update or it will brick your clone GDEMU? What proof is there that this will happen and has anybody actually tried??

@alexander1970 Good to see you got your GDEMU & Dreamcast in order.

Cheers

Last edited by BooBoo02,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Hi all,

After many years i am wanting to game again on my Dreamcast. Although my GDROM still is working ok, i have ordered a GDEMU clone from ebay. I have been doing a lot of research about it the last few days. Everything i have read such as extra heat from the PSU, how to get better air flow, fan mods, adding resisters to the PSU 12v to keep it cool, ect ect have all been things that people have experienced and there is a whole lot of evidence on the internet about these. What i have not found is any proof that updating the firmware on a clone causes it to become bricked. I know in the past that a lot of other cloned devices have bricked after an official firmware update and they are all true documented cases because people did actually try to update their device. In the case of the GDEMU, i have not read about a single case of a clone GDEMU being updated and bricked. I just read a lot of comments saying not to update or it will brick your clone GDEMU? What proof is there that this will happen and has anybody actually tried??

@alexander1970 Good to see you got your GDEMU & Dreamcast in order.

Cheers
Thank you.

I bet my (virtual) Left Hand for it.:D

If you try to flash your Clone,it will get "unusable". this.gif
IMPORTANT: If at any time during firmware update status LED stays completly on or off, or blinks in unexpected pattern, it means an error has occured. Retry the procedure, use a different card if the problem persists.

"Some" maybe already tried it,accidental of course......
(If you ask now,whether I've tried,the only Thing I will say,I have bricked 2 Nintendo DSi by removing Unlaunch to "Proof" it...).this.gif

So maybe I am still recommend,to NOT UPDATE a Clone.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: BooBoo02

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth remembering that ALL GDEmu clones are made in China and they're all made in the same way.

Paying a bit more doesn't make any sense (unless you want a legit one from the creator).

The clones are all the same so, if you see one for 60 dollars or 30 dollars - then go for the 30 dollar one.
Not true. Some clones come with the wrong crystal oscillator and will cause random timing / audio issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D