Drinks and Food way to sweet

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys something completely off-topic but I'd like to know if its the same in your Country as for me it feels like Drinks and Foods getting more and more sweet every few years.

Especially the stuff claiming to be sugar free uses so much other stuff to make it disgusting sweet.
I also mailed some companies a few years ago already asking why they have to sweeten up everything so much and they replied that the customers want it that way.
No Idea which customers they are asking but at least here in Germany I know a lot of people who also say that most stuff nowadays is disgustingly sweet.
I don't mind sweet stuff from time to time but even bread and spicy foods often include sugar. Lots of stuff where you wouldn't think that there is sugar has it but at least it often doesn't taste sugary.
I even tried several dietary foods and powders and all if it was super sweet, most of the dietary stuff had artifacial sweeteners but some even had real sugar like if they want to say "fat people only eat sugary stuff so we need to sweeten our products so much that they will puke from all the sweetness".

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any interest in regulating stuff like this in my Country, at least in the UK they highered Tax on sugar which made many companys use less, don't know if they changed to artifacial sweeteners tough or if their products are still super sweet or not but I think their government at least did something to prevent much more people to get diabetes.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I know drinks are getting disgustingly sweet, and a trend I noticed recently is to use sugar and sweeteners, ostensibly to reduce calories, but it just makes the drink undrinkable.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use a soda stream and if I want it with taste, I mix it with juice. When it comes to cooking I do it myself and it’s fine.
Sugar is addictive, so the companies obviously wants you to stay addicted.
For myself I realized a few years back that I just can’t eat as much sugar (or sweetener) anymore. I could eat a Haribo bag in one sitting as child, but trying that now I would probably vomit after finishing half.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.😊

For Coca Cola for Example:

The classic in 1 Litre Glass Bottles tastes like the last 100 Years.:yay:
Warm or Ice cold - the REAL Taste ! Not to sweet (personaly I think classic Pepsi is more sweeter in these Days...)
The classic Coca Cola in Cans (0,33 and 0,5) tastes also like ever but with more Carbonic Acid (Kohlensäure)....
The classic Coca Cola in 0.5 Litres Plastic Bottles tastes much more sweet(er)....I think,pure Coincidence,that THAT Format/Size seems the most sold Size in Stores in Austria....
The classic Coca Cola 1,5 and 2 Litres in Plastic Bottles tastes more sweeter......
The classic (pre or post) mixed Coca Cola from Burger King tastes good,but I think also a little too sweet...but I always drink it with very much Ice.

The Coca Cola Zero tastes like shit,more and more.....no matter in which "Package"...most awful in 2 Litre Plastic Bottles....a classic Example for "not so good" sugar Replacement(s)....
The Coca Cola Light tastes more sweeter today but only when really cold served.Best in Cans,Plastic Bottles are ok.
But if it is getting "warmer" is taste like shit too.

The "special" Coca Cola´s (Vanilla/Sherry and whatever) tastes all he same for me - like shit....and too sweet...

😊

Reactions: Youkai

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about last few years.

When Americans decided it was fat that was the bad thing, possibly along with salt, then companies switched to sugar (I would find the year but it is more amusing to point at the obesity rate charts and have you search for a notable spike one year... guess which event that followed?).

That said I tend not to eat processed food or much in the way of things with additives so I dodge that.

Reactions: Xzi and Youkai

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Depends?

I think as we grow our sweetness tolerance gets lower and lower.

Kids, being in development, requires a lot of energy to grow, hence why they love candy and sugar over any other kind of food.
An adult it's gonna feel super sweet something that a child might find enjoyable because that need for carbohydrates has passed already.

I think it might be a placebo effect or something.

I'm someone that loves sweet stuff, and because of that I try not to eat too much of it. Candy included.
I really can't make a clear distinction between products from the past and nowadays so I can't tell you if a product was less sweet before.

Can tell something for sure... I crave candy and sugary beverages when I exercise so "too much sweetness" goes unnoticed for me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also crave sweet stuff when it's cold. That is, in Winter.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Learn how to cook and stop buying crappy food like substances aimed at making people fat, lazy and contented consumers. Leave that to the mancows.

The Problem is less about "knowing how to cook" but about "having time to cook" ...
I often try to cook myself but then again when making a soup as example I don't maky my own soup stock which could take the whole day or even more (i know you can freeze it afterwards and make a lot but yeah ... no) so I use those ready made powdery stuff or instead of making sauces myself which could also take several hours depending on which one you want to make I also use ready made stuff.

One good example would be Ketchup, lately I always buy this American one from Helman? or however its called as its less sugar variant is the only one I could find with less then 10g sugar per 100ml ... super crazy how much sugar there is especially in child versions (often up to 30g)

But yeah I am not only talking about the sugar but even the incredibly strong added sweetness from those sweeteners they put in, sometimes it feels like the Companies have a hidden contest running who could make their stuff the sweetest.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The Problem is less about "knowing how to cook" but about "having time to cook" ...
I often try to cook myself but then again when making a soup as example I don't maky my own soup stock which could take the whole day or even more (i know you can freeze it afterwards and make a lot but yeah ... no) so I use those ready made powdery stuff or instead of making sauces myself which could also take several hours depending on which one you want to make I also use ready made stuff.

One good example would be Ketchup, lately I always buy this American one from Helman? or however its called as its less sugar variant is the only one I could find with less then 10g sugar per 100ml ... super crazy how much sugar there is especially in child versions (often up to 30g)

But yeah I am not only talking about the sugar but even the incredibly strong added sweetness from those sweeteners they put in, sometimes it feels like the Companies have a hidden contest running who could make their stuff the sweetest.

Thats your choice. 24 hours, upto your how you spend them so if your health is so low on the scale that you can't find the time to cook then thats on you. Go be a consumer instead as thats designed to fit in to such a "busy life" and take the sugar they pour in to keep you coming back for more.

No one is that busy and I'd be willing to bet you waste a good few hours a day on pointless TV, browsing etc.. that could be used cooking if you so wished.

Reactions: felix.200

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also like to cook my own food but i agree that it takes SO much bloody time to prepare, cook, wash the dishes etc. Even if you freeze or pre-prepare stuff to save time. And if you're running a 9-5h daily (working) it can be quite a challenge specially if you're the kind that likes variety in their food. It all depends on the individual and their needs & effort they're willing (or not) to spend on this.
I dislike sweet stuff, for personal reasons, and i can't stand anything that contains too much sugar.. last time i've eaten a McFlurry was like 5 years ago, and i remember getting dizzy only after eating like half because of how much sugar was in it..

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I really wonder what it is you lot are cooking and how for it to be so much of a drag? You can whip up pretty much anything that requires attention within 45 minutes and stuff that can be slow cooked/oven without thinking can take as long as it wants whilst you do other things.

With cooking once you've got the skills - not just putting a meal together but handling the kitchen as well so its not extra busy work to clean at the end - then its a great buzz whipping something up.

It really does come down to effort though because shop bought stuff generally isn't a patch on home made plus women really appreciate a man who can cook. Mainly because so few of the ones under 30 can these days. Ol "raised on frozen foods and microwave pop tarts" having ass.

Guess it comes down to how you came up because what you were fed as a child is what you expect when grown and we did proper meals made from scratch every day. Most kids these days home cooking = plating delivered meals or pre prepared grocery store stuff full of additives using the lowest quality meat and as many fillers as they can get away with.

Nope. Can't do that.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Look, we all have the same 24 hours in a day, so if you're not willing to catch and can your own tuna that's entirely on your head. You chose to be a consumer drone so you don't have the right to complain.

/s

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me reiterate, i also like to cook my own food, and i do it as much as i can, and as much as i feel the need to, i don't necessarily cook every day, some days i just make do with cooked food from yesterday etc. That doesn't make me lazy or incapable if i didn't cook every day, there's many things in a person's life than just cooking & eating, there's many things that can disrupt and take away the free time you might have (also goes for gaming, movies etc), like having a sick parent or relative that you need visit or dedicate some time to.. Etc. Needless to say, I am fortunate to have time to make/prepare my own food, but others might not. And it's not a question of not knowing how to cook, or the person is buying pre- made shit from stores because they're lazy, we're all different, our lives are different, as well as our needs.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
And yet you still manage to find time to post religiously on GBATemp and engage in all other kinds of frivolous activities...

No need to reply, we get it.

*eats a bag of cheetos washed down with mountain dew*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya