Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
704jaffer said:
I must of somehow missed the whole metal slug thing in my childhood. I'll give this sucker a try, but can anyone tell me why the games are so great?

Metal Slug was a Neo Geo arcade hit. It's emulated in MAME and is considered one of the best kind of games in its genre.

Run and gun side-scroller, amazing animated graphics, big-time explosions. Just pure fun, fun, fun! If you have ever played a game where you run along and blast stuff, this is the extreme version of that kind of game. No kiddy/cutesy flower and bunnies crap here. Stomp the flowers and vaporize the bunnies! It's an old-school gamer's dream come true on the DS! And with NeoDS, you can even play the first 6 games on the DS........1-5 and X
biggrin.gif
Death, destruction, mayhem.....FUN!

Metal Slug 7 is the first game in about 100 DS game releases that I really like.

fenix4o9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i must be in stupid mode tonight .. i dl ms7 and patched it .. to eng. and when i load it up i get an error saying it cant find any game save and asks me to restart.. its not my adapter giving me the error its the game it self .. after i select eng in the game.... i have the m3simply with the latest hacked r4 please help me i miss my metal slug
hate2.gif

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
hey guys i must be in stupid mode tonight .. i dl ms7 and patched it .. to eng. and when i load it up i get an error saying it cant find any game save and asks me to restart.. its not my adapter giving me the error its the game it self .. after i select eng in the game.... i have the m3simply with the latest hacked r4 please help me i miss my metal slug

Not sure but doesn't the R4 need an arm 7 fix to get MS7 to run...

Why not just try it on your M3 with the native os ?

paul

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fenix4o9 said:
not sure what the arm 7 thing is can someone fill me in .. ive been playing around all day trying to get it to work with noluck someone help !

I don't use the R4, but I believe if you unpack the ROM (using DSLazy) and go into the data folder, there will be a file called arm7.bin. You'll usually replace whatever arm7 fix file you downloaded for the one that is initially within the ROM. Repack it and you should be good to go.

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Minos said:
Thk paul3100 !

I'm doing some tests...

EDIT : still doesnt work... Damn ds-x...

Success!! METAL SLUG 7 WORKS ON DS-X*! (*to a certain degree)
Use the "Max Crass Method"; Further info & Max Crass zip package

Basically i extracted MS7 using "DSlazy" and manually pasted the "arm7.bin" file contained in the "Max Crass zip package", re-packed and patched using "Max Overload 1.2 patcher".
When Max Overload 1.2 patcher is finished you should see this in the dialog box:

Arm9
Rom offset: 00004000
Entry addr: 02000800
Ram addr: 02000000
Rom size: 0004D7B8
Card read end not found

It created a .PAT file which was identical to said .nds in terms of file name (ie. Metal Slug 7.PAT) but not size (should be 1kb).
I patched the file while it was on the DS-X so there was no need to copy anything over.
The .PAT file was present in my "apps/metal slug 7/" folder after patching.
I forced the EEPROM to save (loaded up CV: POR, saved, switched off then turned it back on) and it was done.

Please note: (1)I removed the save file, make sure no save file is present. (2) It seems that you need to use the arm7.bin provided in the Max Crass zip package.

I didnt want to use DSlazy, I have been using a donor/patient type patching program (arm7 injection) that uses "Sim City (J)" to arm7 patch the patient rom (props to Bad_Ad84 for making that program, who in turn thanks others for the method and so on and so on...). It seems most likely the Sim City (J) arm7.bin file is useless for injecting the newer releases. Back to using DSlazy...

Aside from all of that iam pleased to be playing MS7. Iam aware that there is supposedly meant to be issues regarding freezing after using sleep mode (this did not happen for me, though the bottom screen dissapeared... not a bother though, the map looks shite). Others mentioned issues such as in-game resetting... so far i have beaten the first boss and reached the 2nd level, with not a hiccup. Of course one play-through without significant issue isnt enough to warrant MS7 to the status of "100% working" on the DS-X catalogue of compatible games... Im sure if Simon "Scorpei" van de Berg says it "works with problems" than i should expect a hiccup any minute now... ->(Scorpei's DS-X Compatability List)

EDIT: For any of you that are aware of this method already than fine, others, such as my fellow DS-X users in this thread, may not be aware of this fix and so im saving time for those who dont want to read up on; "Max Crass", "Incredible Hulk: a guide to patching the rom" and the "Max Overload 1.2 patcher".

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Curley5959 said:
Guide in my sig.......

Never found your guide, well in its current form (thread link in your sig). I came across the Incredible Hulk topic as i pointed out above and just like yourself... ("This was taken Directly from my other topic, The Incredible Hulk - Patched and Working.. But due to people not knowing...") ... I felt the need to make it more accessible, especially since no-one in this thread has solved the DS-X's MS7 save problem, or took the time to mention it if they did.

I dont look at many signatures to be honest, though i might have a lengthy one myself.
Not trying to be smart or funny but couldnt you have mentioned this before i posted it?
"Guide in my sig........" would have proved a lot more useful then...

rscarrab

Trophies
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
Wow. That seems a lot of work just to play a game.....

Yeah, the DS-X used to advertise drag n' drop ease of use...
Now its (not in any particular order, this particular order); scour the internet for Rom -> DS-X compatibility, arm7 inject/replace, patch (now Max Overload needs to be used), drag than drop. Oh and cross fingers...

You'd expect every game to be an epic by the time your done...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'(