DS #4000: Dreamer Series: Babysitter (USA)

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
naglaro00 said:
Oh man who the hell creates this kind of games anyway they should learn.

They should learn what? That this kind of game sells really well, but a few irate DS owners don't understand that the DS caters for everybody? What's wrong with games like this and the Imagine series when we're still getting our Dragon Quest IX's, our Final Fantasy IV's, our Pokémanz, our Golden Suns, our Phoenix Wrights? The release of these games don't hinder the enjoyment of the games actually targetted at us, do they? So what exactly is the problem with people making a quick cash in? Sure, games like these could do with being deeper and more thought-out but they sell well and the people they're aimed at seem to enjoy them enough to warrant the nag to their parents...

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
naglaro00 said:

They should learn what? That this kind of game sells really well, but a few irate DS owners don't understand that the DS caters for everybody? What's wrong with games like this and the Imagine series when we're still getting our Dragon Quest IX's, our Final Fantasy IV's, our Pokémanz, our Golden Suns, our Phoenix Wrights? The release of these games don't hinder the enjoyment of the games actually targetted at us, do they? So what exactly is the problem with people making a quick cash in? Sure, games like these could do with being deeper and more thought-out but they sell well and the people they're aimed at seem to enjoy them enough to warrant the nag to their parents...

You're right at one point, but we have our own opinions. IMO this is just "recycled crud" but for others, it might be, dunno,.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
You all expected something great for #3000 but that turned out as shovelware crap so why should this be different... And who really cares what number is what.. As long as good games come out thats all I care about..
smile.gif

canli

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just Joe said:
Because your not the only person to own a DS. With such a diverse user base, it pays to focus on groups that are not usually catered for in the games market.

Imagine... Fashion Designer and Imagine... Babyz (Babys, Babies, Babiezzzz whatever...) sold 2.7 million units each worldwide. Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride sold approximately 2.3, 1.3 and 1.3 million units respectively. In fact, Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Starry Sky, is the only one that is really strong as it's already sold over 2.3 million in Japan alone.

Simply put, Imagine games and those like them sell better than a lot of the game that are found on GBATemps recommended list.

Yeah but a lot of those little girls are very disappointed with these games. My neef began with these games but didn't like it and now, she's playing NSMB, Yoshi, Lego Indiana Jones & Starfy by herself

Just Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
canli said:
Just Joe said:
Because your not the only person to own a DS. With such a diverse user base, it pays to focus on groups that are not usually catered for in the games market.

Imagine... Fashion Designer and Imagine... Babyz (Babys, Babies, Babiezzzz whatever...) sold 2.7 million units each worldwide. Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride sold approximately 2.3, 1.3 and 1.3 million units respectively. In fact, Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Starry Sky, is the only one that is really strong as it's already sold over 2.3 million in Japan alone.

Simply put, Imagine games and those like them sell better than a lot of the game that are found on GBATemps recommended list.

Yeah but a lot of those little girls are very disappointed with these games. My neef began with these games but didn't like it and now, she's playing NSMB, Yoshi, Lego Indiana Jones & Starfy by herself

You say that a "lot of those little girls are very disappointed with these games" but your only example is your niece. The sheer number of these games sold don't reflect that disappointment. The Imagine series is a little gold mine for Ubisoft. If a lot of little girls didn't like them then why would the continuously purchase them.

And returning to your niece, did games like this make her interested in the DS in the first place? Would she have played the games she plays now if she hadn't played "girly" games like this first? If Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games were the only kind of games on the DS, would she have even bothered to pick up a DS at all?

As I've said before, the DS has the most diverse user base of any games system ever. People who would normally have nothing to do with video games are being drawn to this type of entertainment for the first time. If later they move on to games that you or I might prefer than that's a bonus, because it tells the industry that games like these are worth making, but if they have to be drawn into the market with Horse or Sudoku games than so be it.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just Joe does make a good point. It could get younger chilcren into gaming, and they must sell well to keep making these types of games. As they grow up, they just might get into games that have more depth.
smile.gif

To me though, yea it's just shovelware.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you thought the Mario franchise vs. Sonic franchise was heated. Say hello to Dreamer Series vs. Imagine. Although in this case, no one wins.

Also, who dreams of being a baby sitter? You sit around taking care of other peoples' obnoxious children who will probably be ten times more annoying to you than their parents. Now you can capture that experience in a video game.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Also, who dreams of being a baby sitter? You sit around taking care of other peoples' obnoxious children who will probably be ten times more annoying to you than their parents. Now you can capture that experience in a video game.

The only good point is getting paid for it. Alas the video game doesn't capture that quality.
wink.gif

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
naglaro00 said:

The PSP doesn't get any shit like this.

Tozarian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think we should all start a campaign to burn all the shovelware games off the shelves. We should also start killing off casual gamers.

Just Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
Fabis94 said:
Wintrale said:
naglaro00 said:

The PSP doesn't get any shit like this.

The PSP isn't marketed to a wide and diverse target group, the DS is. PSP is aimed at 15 - 30 year old males, the DS on the other hand has had a number of advertising campaigns which demonstrates Nintendo's strategy of appealing to both a male and female market starting at early pre-teens all the way up to grey generations. It has been like that for years, and has been very successful for Nintendo as a whole.

The top five best selling DS games world wide have sold between 15 to 23 million unit each, averaging 18.3 million units between them. The PSP top five sold between 6 and 2 million units, averaging just under 3.5 million on average between them. That is the power of a diverse marketing campaign targeting previously ignored groups.

And as for shit games the PSP and DS have both had their fair share, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them. Although this might not be a game to your liking that doesn't actually make it shit. This game was designed for a specific market, a market that has been previously neglected and untapped until now. As a game it is not striving to be in anyway deep or complex in it's mechanics. It has very simple aims and it archives what it sets out to do which is provide basic entertainment, in short bursts, to young girls between 6 and 12. It isn't Dragon Quest by any means, but then it never claimed it was, nor did it ever attempt to be.

The problem really lies with groups of people on websites like this, who foolishly believe that their opinions are those of the majority. That's like the Klu Klux Klan claiming that nobody in the United States wanted a Black President. The truth is that in the game industry, like any other business, the only thing that matters is money, and when it comes to the DS, no one really cares about your opinion because you're just not that important. Money doesn't lie.

If you wanted a games machine that solely catered to your demographic you should have stuck with the PSP, but you can't complain that the DS isn't "hardcore" enough for you when people like Patrick Stewart and Julie Walters fronts one of it's major ad campaigns, I mean for fuck sake why did you buy one in the first place?

nsjong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, don't complain and bitch, please.
Seriously, we're all playing illegally (cept for some backups) anyway, why complain?

And besides, this has one of the hottest titles ever to hit the DS.

Yeah, I can be a "dreamer" when this babysitter comes over to help me out ;D

tokyotenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Why are you guys bitching? Sure there has been a lot of shovelware, but if you actually go out into the real world and look at the range of age that plays DS, there's even kids as young as 2 or 3 that plays DS, unlike PSP. Parents would prefer their kids to play a 'softer' kind of games like imagine series as they're safe from violence, heavy text or complicated gameplay. If the games are all targeted at young adults and adults, DS won't sell that much like psp. Kids play a lot of DS rather than adults. And the games sell. Of course companies like ubisoft would want profit.

As long as there's good games coming out, I'm fine with it.

bombchu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
robosuplex.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Just Joe said:
The PSP isn't marketed to a wide and diverse target group, the DS is. PSP is aimed at 15 - 30 year old males, the DS on the other hand has had a number of advertising campaigns which demonstrates Nintendo's strategy of appealing to both a male and female market starting at early pre-teens all the way up to grey generations. It has been like that for years, and has been very successful for Nintendo as a whole.

The top five best selling DS games world wide have sold between 15 to 23 million unit each, averaging 18.3 million units between them. The PSP top five sold between 6 and 2 million units, averaging just under 3.5 million on average between them. That is the power of a diverse marketing campaign targeting previously ignored groups.

And as for shit games the PSP and DS have both had their fair share, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them. Although this might not be a game to your liking that doesn't actually make it shit. This game was designed for a specific market, a market that has been previously neglected and untapped until now. As a game it is not striving to be in anyway deep or complex in it's mechanics. It has very simple aims and it archives what it sets out to do which is provide basic entertainment, in short bursts, to young girls between 6 and 12. It isn't Dragon Quest by any means, but then it never claimed it was, nor did it ever attempt to be.

The problem really lies with groups of people on websites like this, who foolishly believe that their opinions are those of the majority. That's like the Klu Klux Klan claiming that nobody in the United States wanted a Black President. The truth is that in the game industry, like any other business, the only thing that matters is money, and when it comes to the DS, no one really cares about your opinion because you're just not that important. Money doesn't lie.

If you wanted a games machine that solely catered to your demographic you should have stuck with the PSP, but you can't complain that the DS isn't "hardcore" enough for you when people like Patrick Stewart and Julie Walters fronts one of it's major ad campaigns, I mean for fuck sake why did you buy one in the first place?

You tell 'em Joe!

QUOTE said:
That's like the Klu Klux Klan claiming that nobody in the United States wanted a Black President.

Wait, what?

The truth is... no one really cares about your opinion because you're just not that important.

Oh... Well, alright lol That clears it up just fine!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe