Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid the following question has already been asked numerous times, so excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is it possible to play dsiware roms from SD-slot of a DSi with only Memory Pit and TwilightMenu++ installed and without Unlaunch? If the answer is no, for what reason? Just curious, since I don't think I'm missing much by not playing them. 😋
It's possible, though the DSi Camera app has a bit of a weird configuration or something like that so using Memory Pit specifically can cause issues in some games. Using Flipnote Lenny instead of Memory Pit if you're able to will be more compatible with DSiWare.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v24.5.0

Includes nds-bootstrap v0.55.4

What's new?
  • (@lifehackerhansol) The icon is now animated again!
    • 3DS: For this to take effect, delete TWiLight Menu++ in System Settings, before updating. (Using FBI to delete it will work as well, but make sure TWLMenu++ is gone from the HOME Menu, before updating.)
  • (@DeadSkullzJr) Added AP-fixes for:
    • Metal Max 2: Reloaded (English translation)
    • Nora to Toki no Koubou: Kiri no Mori no Majo (English translation v0.3c)
    • Pokémon: Moon Black 2
    • SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny (English translation)
  • Deleted AP-fixes for randomized Pokémon ROMs, as each one have varying headers.
  • (@Pk11) Launcher App & SysNAND Region are now autodetected from DSi NAND.
  • When launching a GBA ROM using the Native feature on DS Phat/Lite, holding D-Pad Left & R shoulder buttons will now activate a feature hidden in the console, which swaps green intensity between every two pixels.
    • As this is not a visible feature in TWLMenu++ Settings, it should only be used for testing purposes.
    • Will not work with EZ-Flash 3 in 1.
Improvement
  • ((@Pk11 and various) Updated translations.
Bug fixes
  • (@Pk11) Fixed DSi icon palettes in DSi-based themes. (See #1884 for more info.)
  • (@Pk11) ROM folder is now reset if missing.
  • (@DeadSkullzJr) Fixed AP-fix for Metal Max 2: Reloaded.
Just a quick question..
I haven't updated TWiLightMenu++ in my 3DS for a while and i just did it through Universal Updater, but when i tried launching it again it gave me "an error occurred..", despite it working just now before i updated it.. i thought maybe it needed a reboot and i did, same thing happened. Then i went here to check if there's something i'm missing, and yes, as it says here, before updating on 3DS you need to either delete it through the system settings or in fbi. since i couldn't find TWilightmenu++ under the system settings, i did in fbi, i deleted both TWilightmenu and the its "Last Run" counterpart which both show up in purple (not green?)..
Rebooted it again, i updated with Universal Updater, rebooted yet again, launched it and same frickin error, i'm i missing something again?
Do i have to manually remove all the TWilightmenu files and install them with Universal Updater, or is it there something wrong with Universal Updater that's causing it not to update correctly? Cause if so, i can download it through the QR code instead..

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question..
I haven't updated TWiLightMenu++ in my 3DS for a while and i just did it through Universal Updater, but when i tried launching it again it gave me "an error occurred..", despite it working just now before i updated it.. i thought maybe it needed a reboot and i did, same thing happened. Then i went here to check if there's something i'm missing, and yes, as it says here, before updating on 3DS you need to either delete it through the system settings or in fbi. since i couldn't find TWilightmenu++ under the system settings, i did in fbi, i deleted both TWilightmenu and the its "Last Run" counterpart which both show up in purple (not green?)..
Rebooted it again, i updated with Universal Updater, rebooted yet again, launched it and same frickin error, i'm i missing something again?
Do i have to manually remove all the TWilightmenu files and install them with Universal Updater, or is it there something wrong with Universal Updater that's causing it not to update correctly to begin with? Cause if so i can download it through the QR code..
If you're using EmuNAND, then you need to follow this guide to transfer it to SysNAND.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/move-emunand

Reactions: CoolMe

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question..
Do i have to manually remove all the TWilightmenu files and install them with Universal Updater, or is it there something wrong with Universal Updater that's causing it not to update correctly? Cause if so, i can download it through the QR code instead..
You don't need to delete TwilightMenu folder unless it's corrupted. I just uninstalled mine a while back to get the animated icon, and I didn't have to remove its files.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using EmuNAND, then you need to follow this guide to transfer it to SysNAND.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/move-emunand
Ok, i fixed it. And yes i'm using an emunand.. Turns out both emunand and sysnand were clashing because sysnand was using an older build, and the emunand was using the newly updated build, and it was causing in that error.

Thanks! You gave me the idea to update the one on sysnand and now the one on emunand works as it's supposed to..
I know there's no reason to use an emunand anymore, other than i just did it as a precaution measure if this system (or its nand) ever craps out on me.. In fact my other N3DSXL doesn't have it..

I'm just gonna leave my comment above here, if someone using an emunand ever run into a similar issue..

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess still no fix for the ROM of Golden Sun Dark Dawn?
Right. The issue is that it crashes during the user settings check, regardless if the settings are proper or not.
The solution seems to be bypassing the check, though I've been told there are various ways of bypassing it.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's possible, though the DSi Camera app has a bit of a weird configuration or something like that so using Memory Pit specifically can cause issues in some games. Using Flipnote Lenny instead of Memory Pit if you're able to will be more compatible with DSiWare.
Having Flipnote already pre-installed in my console, how do I proceed to install dsiware games? I specify that I own the European version of the DSi, so I'm afraid it is not possible, or am I wrong?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having Flipnote already pre-installed in my console, how do I proceed to install dsiware games? I specify that I own the European version of the DSi, so I'm afraid it is not possible, or am I wrong?
You add the DSiWare ROMs like you would with DS ROMs.
To get them from your console, follow this guide: https://dsi.cfw.guide/dsiware-backups.html

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You add the DSiWare ROMs like you would with DS ROMs.
To get them from your console, follow this guide: https://dsi.cfw.guide/dsiware-backups.html
Thanks lad.
Let's be frank; dsiware roms are freely available on archive.org pre-converted to .nds format (*cough* of course I would download the ones I already own, as a backup *cough*). Simply by copying them where indicated, could I already use them, without Unlaunch installed? Is it really that simple?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm at it, I'll take the opportunity to ask one more thing, if it's not a bother. :blush: What is the most appropriate formatting (file system) type and cluster size of the micro SD, to use with TwilightMenu++ in the SD-slot?
FAT32 with 32kb cluster size.
Follow this guide, if you haven't done so yet, and if you get a message about cluster size in TWLMenu++: https://dsi.cfw.guide/sd-card-setup.html

Reactions: Nikokaro
v24.6.0

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RocketRobz , I just updated my ds. something occurred that's happened before (although rare), but I always test golden sun for the ds, and randomly, I get a message in yellow text saying "failed to write, please shut off the ds and consult your manual." it appears to be an error message from the game itself rather than twilight menu. any ideas?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RocketRobz , I just updated my ds. something occurred that's happened before (although rare), but I always test golden sun for the ds, and randomly, I get a message in yellow text saying "failed to write, please shut off the ds and consult your manual." it appears to be an error message from the game itself rather than twilight menu. any ideas?
This is an issue with the flashcard kernel. Although I recall you reporting this before?

Reactions: godreborn

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
v24.6.0: Earth Day Release

Includes nds-bootstrap v0.56.0

What's new?
  • Updated B4DS DSiWare whitelist to accommodate for the included nds-bootstrap version.
  • (@banjo2) Added widescreen patch for beebzDS (Demon Turf DS).
  • (@Pk11) Added setting nds-bootstrap game manual!
  • (@DieGo367) Themes can now use multiple font palettes! (#1894)
  • (@DieGo367) Themes can now have fonts bundled! (#1895)
  • (@DieGo367 & @Pk11) Added Use skin font setting! (#1896)
fyi to anyone curious, the new in-game manual feature requires plaintext manuals ideally manually wrapped to 32 columns. The encoding is is the same used for the in-game menu itself so ASCII text is always safe but anything beyond varies by language. European languages are similar to the common Windows 1252, and iirc Russian, Greek, and Hebrew should be close to their normal Windows 8-bit encodings too, but Arabic, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese are all weird.

I created a python script that will take an 80-column (or really any plaintext document) manual and attempt to reflow it down to 32 columns while preserving the formatting as much as possible. I ran this on all of the manuals that have been in twlmenu-extras so those should all be usable, I'm still in the process of reorganizing the repo though so as of now you'll likely need to rename them* for them to be found. The ASCII art is also often rather broken so they'll require a bit of manual cleanup which I'll try to get around to soon™, if anyone else wants to clean up the ASCII art in some manuals and PR it please do.

*they must be in sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/extras/manuals and can be named "[ROM name].txt" (WITH the .nds), "[title ID].txt" (ex. AMCE.txt), or "[first three of title ID].txt" (ex. AMC.txt, to work for any region) and will be checked in that order.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...