DSi and GBA separately, or DS?

xmenfan2001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm trying to decide what i want to do to play my DS games and GBA games, and i'm wondering if it's better to go for a single system, or get them separately. the fact that the DS doesn't have an SD card slot is a big downer for me, but the GBA slot means I could save money... but then only the DSi can use DSiWare, obviously, so I'd have to get them on my Old 3DS anyways.. I'm just wondering what would be better in the long run, from people who own the consoles.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding you want to play GBA, DS and DSiWare games? Here are your options:
- DS/DS Lite: you can use a flashcart for DS games, and another like an Everdrive or an EZ Flash cart for GBA games to get perfect compatibility. No DSiWare though.
- DSi/XL: flashcart or TWilightmenu for DS games, DSiWare games. No GBA games.

Now a third option i'd add since you mentioned that you have an old 3ds is to use either a flashcart or TWilightmenu for DS games, DSiWare (cfw), and Open_AGB_firm (also requires cfw) to play GBA games with perfect compatibility..
It's your choice, you can one, two or all of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
There's also GBARunner2 which lets you play GBA games on a DSi, it's not perfect but from CFW it's pretty good, quite a bit better than it is on a DS/DSi from a flashcard.

Also note that link cable doesn't work on anything except a real GBA, not even a DS/DS Lite. So if that matters to you at all you'll definitely want a real GBA. Technically GBARunner2 has link cable emulation, but it's extremely iffy, not really usable.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding you want to play GBA, DS and DSiWare games? Here are your options:
- DS/DS Lite: you can use a flashcart for DS games, and another like an Everdrive or an EZ Flash cart for GBA games to get perfect compatibility. No DSiWare though.

Now a third option i'd add since you mentioned that you have an old 3ds is to use either a flashcart or TWilightmenu for DS games, DSiWare (cfw), and Open_AGB_firm (also requires cfw) to play GBA games with perfect compatibility..
It's your choice, you can one, two or all of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️
For DS/DS Lite, DSiWare can actually be run there. As of nds-bootstrap v0.64.0, up to 100 DSiWare titles can be played, and save support has also been added.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the purely GBA side of things, the popular opinion appears to be that a backlit GBA SP (model AGS-101, not the frontlit AGS-001) is the best way to play such games. It has a rechargeable battery and a backlit screen brighter than the original DS Phat, is compatible with almost all GBA addons including the linker cable, and has minimal screen ghosting.

The only "better" screen is the tiny one on the GB Micro, but getting accessories for that in 2022 is going to be a huge challenge since they changed the linker port for that model.

Reactions: xmenfan2001

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

I'm just wondering what would be better in the long run, from people who own the consoles.
Looking actual on my GameBoy Advance and the DSi XL...
I have not used them for over 1 Year....
Every owned DS / DSi Game is played natively and the GameBoy Advanced Games (of course) as Emulation (mGBA) on my New3DS XL.
I remember an O3DS works not so well with them...:sad:

Also TWiLight Menu works like a Charm for both Systems on the New3DS XL.💖💖

Thank you.😉

elCerebrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm no expert but considering that you have to heavily mod a GBA to have proper brightness and that I don't reeeaaaally enjoy how they feel on hand, I went for a DS Lite. The screens look gorgeous (perhaps I got lucky), you can play GBA cartridges... and I don't think that you will be using much features like the Link Cable.

If you intend to use original hardware/games and are budget restrained: I'd say the DS Lite is the way to go.
If you intend to use original hardware/games and budget is not a problem: GBA 101 modded with IPS screen + DSi/New 3DS
If you intend to mod it and are not budget restrained: I'd say the New 3DS (any model, normal, XL) is the way to go.
If you intend to mod it and are budget restrained: DSi with GBARunner2.

I'm currently using a DS Lite for all my DS games since I was never big on DSiWare titles, I'm finishing to play the DS Library and they look amazing.

Last edited by elCerebrain,

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
i'm trying to decide what i want to do to play my DS games and GBA games, and i'm wondering if it's better to go for a single system, or get them separately. the fact that the DS doesn't have an SD card slot is a big downer for me, but the GBA slot means I could save money... but then only the DSi can use DSiWare, obviously, so I'd have to get them on my Old 3DS anyways.. I'm just wondering what would be better in the long run, from people who own the consoles.

If you have an old 3ds, you can play ds, dsi and gba games using native hardware.
You dont really need a gba or a ds.
I know 3ds screen are not perfect because of resolution for ds and gba games but they are good enough.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For DS/DS Lite, DSiWare can actually be run there. As of nds-bootstrap v0.64.0, up to 100 DSiWare titles can be played, and save support has also been added.
Now if only GBA could be improved. I understand there are hardware limitations, but it would be nice to see more progress being made on GBARunner2

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
why not them all?

you dont have to get them all at once. but later rather then never.
This^
There are pros and cons to all of them but that's the best part of having them all.

bukowski_mich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
I totally agree that you have 2 variants:

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have an old 3ds, you can play ds, dsi and gba games using native hardware.
You dont really need a gba or a ds.
I know 3ds screen are not perfect because of resolution for ds and gba games but they are good enough.
You can't play GBA cartridges, mind. Only installed GBA games.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
3DS is the best choice if you want an all-in-one solution! Any model.
There'll always be downsides when you don't use the console each game was made for. You can get a middle-ground solution, or every single console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol