DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tellytubby said:
it seems logical enough
yaynds.gif
I don't think you even know what logic is.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Any solution will likely require new flashcarts or a hack for the DSi firmware. AFAIK, most (all?) flashcarts do not allow the bit of code that boots them up to be overwritten, so this could not be fixed by an update to the flashcart's software.
exactly, this man knows what he is talking about.

AFAIK, there will be no way to change flash cart firmware to fix this issue. The only possibility and that is still a possibility is a new custom firmware for the DSi similar to flashme in the old days.

iamanobody

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1: stop complaining
#2: stop speculating about the sd slot
#3: stop speculating about DSiWare
#4: read http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm
#5: form a hypothesis
#6: repeatedly test and form new hypotheses using the scientific method
#7: document what you have discovered
---------------------------------------------------------
What happens when:
1. a DSi game is put into a DS (nothing/error/etc.)
2. a DSi game is dumped using a DS rom dumper (like Rudolph's)
3. you sniff the transfers between a DSi and a (real) DS cart

Many of the bootstraps for flashcarts are on a flash, which can be rewritten. There may not be a tool/update that does so, but it can be done.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
I TOLD YOU!
evil.gif
I'm told you that Nintendo is going to do this. Look at the R4DS right now, Nintendo did the smart thing to do this. Now we can't do nothing more but use the DS and DS Lite. Its such a shame but true.

I knew this was going to happen and now I must treasure my DS for the fact that it can still work on my R4.

Dr_dre

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
what about the browser that the dsi has .. can a faulty jpg/flash/asp/html(buffer overflow/underun)run external content ?

Hedgehogofchaos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know alot about the DSi, but I'm just wondering if original ds games are region locked by the DSi. If so the flashcards may be of a different region then the Japanese DSi. Please correct me if this is not possible.

k'2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
what i want to know will dsi have games that will work only on it or it's just another ds

if it like it's another ds then screw the camera and sd slot>>>>( i don't have any ds and going to buy a one but dunno which to buy ds lite or ds i)

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
no....i dont think so.....i think that the dsi's libfat will be alot different from the ds's libfat.......thats my opinion.....

Crozone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It has been confirmed that the "region lock" does not actually seem to be active, or even implimented on the DSi when booting standard DS games. Several forums say that they have tried USA, Japan, and Asia - Pacific region cards on the DSi without any errors.

Also, the reason the CycloDS is different to other flashcards is because is has a built in firmware chip, rather than booting off the microSD. The Edge, even though it is a CycloDS clone, still boots off the MicroSD.

Crozone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS has a built in software update tool... Is there any chance of somehow downloading the update, modifying it, and patching it into the DSi? (This is what I did With my Wii using the Twilight Hack)

Xanthos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only a matter of time once they are released in the U.S. for someone to hack the hardware. Once the person who does this comes up with the update, it will likely be loadable into your flash card, and it will work fine.

I've had a 1st gen DS for the longest time and was considering waiting for the DSi, but if it doesn't have GBA compatibility and can't run flash cards whatsoever, I might rethink the matter, as I'm sure a lot of other people will. They might lose a hefty chunk of sales if that's the case. I have no intention of buying yet ANOTHER flash card and essentially pouring $250 into a lousy handheld, so here's hoping something can be done. Hopefully there will be a way to disable the region lock as well.

Nintendo is being a real dick towards us modders, aren't they?

And Sakarra, I don't think flash carts will be replaced any time soon, considering you can't do much with a lousy 256MB of hard drive space.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blckthrn2k8 said:
Hey guys! Did you know that the CycloDS Evolution already works for the DSi? There's still some things that needs to be tested but the fact that it works is there! LOL... http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl

There is also a video demo in the website.

If anyone already knew about this then my bad. lol!

Woohoo can't wait!!!

LOL!

We already know about that.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.