DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm, whats stopping flash-cart makers to update the firmware to be read in a different way? The DSi came out... this morning, was it? Give it a week (at MOST 2) before you freak out about not being able to use your flash carts. Have faith in the scene people. Shit'll be hacked in no time
tongue.gif

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JPH said:
Dude, you gotta be kidding me - none of the flashcarts work?
Nintendo really showed us now.
That's pretty fucking crazy - kudos to you, Nintendo.

Hopefully some DSi-compatible flashcarts will pop up at the time needed, but until then let everyone enjoy their Lite's and the stacks of flashcarts available.
SD Slots never helped pirates
wink.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If new flash cards have to be made Nintendo are just giving the flash card makers more money. The question is will newer versions of the nds lite work with flash cards?

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thegame07 said:
The question is will newer versions of the nds lite work with flash cards?

They probably won't put effort into the DSL since they WILL kill it.
Give them about 2 months after release =P
They want to focus their energy on the iDS DSi
arctic_flame said:
QUOTE(Haruhi @ Oct 31 2008, 12:56 PM) AFAIK DS is technically capable of region lock, but it was never used. Not even as a proof of concept.

It is technically possible. The GameCodes in the header contain a region flag.
Although they probably wouldn't =)
Think about it - Little Billy takes a DS with him to his trip to the US
Billys mother decides to buy him a game in the US for the long flight home.
If its region locked Little Billy will cry
cry.gif

Parent gets annoyed as DS game doesnt work.
Parent decides not to buy more DS games.
Nintendo see LESS money.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
WildWon said:
Erm, whats stopping flash-cart makers to update the firmware to be read in a different way?
Mainly the fact that the firmware never gets a chance to run, because the DSi won't boot the carts in the first place.

I've worked with three separate cards over the past few months. CycloDS, Supercard DS-1 and DS-TT. Now, if i'm right, SC-DS1 & TT can be fully firmware upgraded w/out running the card. I mean, their info is all changed ON the micro-sd card. Now the Cyclo needs to run for the firmware to be updated... but whats stopping them from making a compatible update that you put into a DS or DSL and updated it, then it works with DSi as well?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
whats stopping them from making a compatible update that you put into a DS or DSL and updated it, then it works with DSi as well?
As far as I know, the bit of code that boots the flashcarts and then loads the firmware cannot be overwritten (at least not on most flashcarts). This bit of code is what the DSi won't run.

go185

Trophies
XP
Country
There still might be hope for the AK2, AK-RPG, Ninjapass X9, and Ninjapass DS Flash!

Actually, a Ninjapass DS Flash/Ninjapass Junior might be something to try, as you can "burn" games to it and, at the DS main menu, appears as the game you burned and not as a flashcart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...