DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Raika said:
It seems that all the flashcarts we use are not compatible...
frown.gif

fixed

And nothing to worry about.. the thing shouldn't come to west until mid-2009 anyway, a solution will come probably before that.

So, unless you're crazy about taking pictures and modifying them on the streets.. I don't see a reason to get one right now
tongue.gif

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
WildWon said:
whats stopping them from making a compatible update that you put into a DS or DSL and updated it, then it works with DSi as well?
As far as I know, the bit of code that boots the flashcarts and then loads the firmware cannot be overwritten (at least not on most flashcarts). This bit of code is what the DSi won't run.
You mean the bootstrap.
smile.gif

You can on EZ5.
I know particularly that because i have bricked one EZ5 v1 with this dangerous update.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
lolzed said:
lol,more resons why people won't buy DSi,guess most of us are sticking to DSLite,no?

I'm afraid I have to agree with that. I would like to think that Nintendo has something fantastic up their sleeves, but when I look at their complete off-kilter Wii Music title, I fear that Nintendo isn't always right.

I'll even admit that, because I was so disappointed in the DSi when they announced it, I really hope the DSi will fail miserably (in a Visual Boy kind of way)..sorry..that's how I feel...

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
lolzed said:
lol,more resons why people won't buy DSi,guess most of us are sticking to DSLite,no?

I'm afraid I have to agree with that. I would like to think that Nintendo has something fantastic up their sleeves, but when I look at their complete off-kilter Wii Music title, I fear that Nintendo isn't always right.

I'll even admit that, because I was so disappointed in the DSi when they announced it, I really hope the DSi will miserably fail (in a Visual Boy kind of way)..sorry..that's how I feel...
visualboy was the emulator.
VIRTUALBOY was the failed system

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I was expecting flashcarts not to work :\ But I'm positive there's gonna be some sort of workaround...hopefully it won't require you to buy a new flashcart that is DSi compatible.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would say "All the teams have to do is release new FW right?" then I realized "OHWAI- R4 Team is dead... Fck."

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
kaizer ryo said:
Broken Skye said:
I would say "All the teams have to do is release new FW right?" then I realized "OHWAI- R4 Team is dead... Fck."
Dude take a chill pill.I'm sure a new flashcart or a new firmware update will be released for erm......cards other than the r4
smile.gif

It's the way the internals of the carts work though, rather than the code in the firmware. I'm guessing it will take a hardware revision for most carts to be able to work on the DSi, and then a short tme before Nintendo updates the firmware in the DSi to block the new booting code.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
It's the way the internals of the carts work though, rather than the code in the firmware. I'm guessing it will take a hardware revision for most carts to be able to work on the DSi, and then a short tme before Nintendo updates the firmware in the DSi to block the new booting code.

as long as the nextgen dsi cards come out it will always be back and forth like the wii mod updates. i'd rather have it that way to be honest

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Raven Darkheart said:
TrolleyDave said:

as long as the nextgen dsi cards come out it will always be back and forth like the wii mod updates. i'd rather have it that way to be honest

I would as it would keep the casual downloader away from the scene, lots of work = only dedicated pirates. The problem I'm thinking though is that it could take new hardware revisions from flashcart makers each time it's blocked. The flashcart makers could make their internals updateable but then it would leave them open to Nintendo bricking code. That's why I'm thinking it'll be a case of modchips and flashcarts for the DSi. The modchip contains the bootcode for the cart and the cart does the rest.

I'm not really that up on the internals of how these things work these days, last time I looked at how a mod chip actually worked was back in the PSX/Saturn days so I could be completely wrong!

Translucentbill

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Meh, i wasnt planning on buying the DSi, i would rather have the GBA slot so i can buy an ez flash 3 in 1. But yeah the DS lite is worth the extra what? $50? Brighter screens, lighter, skinnier, better looking
tongue.gif

The DSi to me looks like another company trying to milk the fuck out of one of their better products. The only feature i like is the built in web browser. But then again with the DS lite you could just buy a 3 in 1 and get the opera browser.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy Nintendo corrected bugs in their software. But people now crying like "I can't use my flashcard" should just skip the DSi. Or wait until it's hacked. And yes, it will be. EVERYTHING can be hacked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...