DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
shaunj66 said:
The following carts, along with the R4 DS and EZ V DO NOT WORK ON THE DSi

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
Supercard DS One - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

There are also LIVE (mandatory?) updates to the DSi firmware when you enter the Shop or Settings menu, much like the Wii.
LIVE sounds more like you simply get the update (and the update is performed) while you can browse the shop / settings menu. Wouldn't expect that though (would expect a big message 'don't turn off, updating' while you can't do a thing). Thing is of course without internet connection no update via settings menu
wink.gif
. But why haven't any of the slot-2 card been tested (with passme2/nopass)? Have they kept the bios/firmware chip the same btw?
The dsi doesnt have slot 2.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Interesting. I always thought a flashcard was a perfect imitation of a real game, so the DS - even a new model - could never tell the difference.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
raulpica said:
Scorpei said:
shaunj66 said:

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

There are also LIVE (mandatory?) updates to the DSi firmware when you enter the Shop or Settings menu, much like the Wii.
LIVE sounds more like you simply get the update (and the update is performed) while you can browse the shop / settings menu. Wouldn't expect that though (would expect a big message 'don't turn off, updating' while you can't do a thing). Thing is of course without internet connection no update via settings menu
wink.gif
. But why haven't any of the slot-2 card been tested (with passme2/nopass)? Have they kept the bios/firmware chip the same btw?
Because there's NO slot-2?
tongue.gif
Granted (yes I did forget that for a second) it isn't there right now, but what I'm getting at is open the thing up and see if one couldn't connect one
wink.gif
. Would also be interesting to see what a nopass (/passme) would do in general. I wonder if the buffer overflow is still there. Also (at least passme1) used the original cards authentication.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow...whoever thought Nintendo would allow flashcart use, really fails miserably.

You're telling me, after all the crap they're doing right now with the flashcart companies, you thought they would allow piracy even MORE on their new system?

Crazy...

But don't get me wrong, having flashcart use on it would be cool.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Scorpei said:
raulpica said:
Scorpei said:
shaunj66 said:

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

wink.gif
Because there's NO slot-2?
tongue.gif
Granted (yes I did forget that for a second) it isn't there right now, but what I'm getting at is open the thing up and see if one couldn't connect one
wink.gif
. Would also be interesting to see what a nopass (/passme) would do in general. I wonder if the buffer overflow is still there. Also (at least passme1) used the original cards authentication.
Thought the same thing, but I'm still waiting for some internal photos, to say that
smile.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
balls! Well i guess we dont have much to worry about. alot of you said you werent going to even bother buying one, and then an top of that we would have to wait for new flash carts, which shouldnt be too far behind. and even then we might not need them. We have an SD slot? whats stopping us?

Mohammad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please someone hack the firmware quickly lol, yeah what will be first a firmware hack (or new firmware) or a flashcard that can bypass, so what makes an official card official? Can't we just copy something like Mario Kart DS and have it look real?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kedest said:
Why do some of you think DS-X might work? What's different about that one?

Nothing but it seems the DSX has replaced neoflash as the byword for useless in the world of flash carts so it would be incredibly ironic for the DSX to work where all the other top tier carts stumble.

Back on topic while the whitelist idea is one but a couple of thousand games and the impracticality of hashing the whole rom means any whitelist would probably be restricted to the header information. I have not studied how DS flash carts are made/work in that great an amount of detail at this stage so I am not sure if it is merely a bug that has been exploited up to now that has been fixed or not.

What would be interesting (to me at least) is a savelist era (no bootstrap update) EZ5.

lcleong

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
get over with it !! why so nice about DSi anyway? if u wan DSi just buy the orignal game instead of hoping it working on flashcart!

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mohammad said:
please someone hack the firmware quickly lol, yeah what will be first a firmware hack (or new firmware) or a flashcard that can bypass, so what makes an official card official? Can't we just copy something like Mario Kart DS and have it look real?
My predictions
1- Hacker finds exploit.
2- People use exploit
3- Nintendo patches firmware
4- Hackers workaround new firmware in 5 minutes.
Repeat

Also if any company does put a real games header feel the wrath of Nintendooooooooooo!
QUOTE(lcleong @ Oct 31 2008, 11:25 PM) get over with it !! why so nice about DSi anyway? if u wan DSi just buy the orignal game instead of hoping it working on flashcart!
StillAliveDS?
Video Games Hero?
Emulators?

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dude, you gotta be kidding me - none of the flashcarts work?
Nintendo really showed us now.
That's pretty fucking crazy - kudos to you, Nintendo.

Hopefully some DSi-compatible flashcarts will pop up at the time needed, but until then let everyone enjoy their Lite's and the stacks of flashcarts available.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I feel sorry for everyone here. You all have to sell your old DSes and buy the DSi against your will. Tsk tsk. I'll keep playing on my old DS because I'm free of mind control!
biggrin.gif

Edit: And besides, who didn't see this coming? Durr, Sony did the same thing with the PSP-3000 and the TA-088v3 or whatever motherboards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1