Hacking DSi only homebrew

Pavichokche

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I don't know much about homebrew-making, but the dsi has better specs (4XRAM, 2XCPU), and should technically be able to run cooler homebrew. Do you think that people are going to make homerew that works only for the dsi flashkards??? I mean, unlike actual games, homebrew is not dependent on what people use (like they are afraid to make dsi-only games since so many people have the old ds), so homebrew-makers should take advantage of the better specs, better speakers and other functions. Also I would love to see some homebrew that uses the camera to make movies (I don't think the dsi itself has that function)!!!

P.S. I apologise if someone has already made a similar topic, I don't follow many topics around here
moogle.gif

Pavichokche

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad to hear that.
There was some homebrew for the ds that could utilize the microphone, speakers, lights(2 of them) and wifi capabilities, I would figure that the same could be, eventually, for the DSi, but utilising its camera(s)

yaynds.gif

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, if they were to do that.

DSLite users could use a Ram Pack to also run the firmware? But they would be 2 types for each homebrew -

DSLiTE (Uses a RAMPack)
DSi (Runs like the usual DS Homebrew around now)

The the microphone etc yea, would be DSi only tbh.
>

highanimalhouse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got to thinking about it -- I think the DSi can be capable of running homebrew off of SD cards a la the Wii. Basically, someone should find a way to make a "Twilight Hack" for the DSi that will load that on the system.

The problem is Nintendo has the DS game slot and SD card slots. I think it's doable.

I may get a DSi just to see what people do with homebrew -- I'm hoping that NES emulators will be loadable on the DSi soon!

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not possible at the moment as the DSi itself hasn't been cracked yet only fooled. Flashcarts fool the DSi into loading them in a DS compatibility mode which limits them to the hardware and specifications that a normal DS has. Theres no way for a flashcard running in DS compatibility mode to access any of the extra processing power, RAM, cameras or anything else that the DSi has. You can basically locked into what you can do on a normal DS minus the slot 2 expansion. Like the GBA mode, there is no way to switch to DSi mode while in DS compatibility mode.

So all in all, until the DSi is cracked which I do see happening until a major hardware flaw is found, than its going to be a while before any DSi homebrew is made.

Also note that a whole new developers kit might have to be made for DSi homebrew as its vastly different running apps on a DSi compared to the DSi. When a DS game or homebrew is ran, everything is emptied from RAM and the game/homebrew takes over basically acting as an operating system for the DSi where everything have to manually be implemented like WiFi and so on. On the DSi, the firmware actually runs in the background and acts as an opating system that runs the DSi games/Dsi Ware and such in shich the apps interact with it. On the DSi, such things like wifi access and so on is handled by the firmware instead of having to be manually impleneted into the homebrew itself similar to the Wii actually.

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:
Not possible at the moment as the DSi itself hasn't been cracked yet only fooled. Flashcarts fool the DSi into loading them in a DS compatibility mode which limits them to the hardware and specifications that a normal DS has. Theres no way for a flashcard running in DS compatibility mode to access any of the extra processing power, RAM, cameras or anything else that the DSi has. You can basically locked into what you can do on a normal DS minus the slot 2 expansion. Like the GBA mode, there is no way to switch to DSi mode while in DS compatibility mode.

So all in all, until the DSi is cracked which I do see happening until a major hardware flaw is found, than its going to be a while before any DSi homebrew is made.

Also note that a whole new developers kit might have to be made for DSi homebrew as its vastly different running apps on a DSi compared to the DSi. When a DS game or homebrew is ran, everything is emptied from RAM and the game/homebrew takes over basically acting as an operating system for the DSi where everything have to manually be implemented like WiFi and so on. On the DSi, the firmware actually runs in the background and acts as an opating system that runs the DSi games/Dsi Ware and such in shich the apps interact with it. On the DSi, such things like wifi access and so on is handled by the firmware instead of having to be manually impleneted into the homebrew itself similar to the Wii actually.

Tbh, the DSi is going to do nothing but complicate the already complex.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:

Well what we could do is have flashcarts have a third compatibility mode which would be DSi. And it would run DSiWare. And by doing that you could make homebrew that runs in the same manner and format as DSiWare, thus having homebrew using cameras.

But this is all just a theory that has a very small chance of happening.

Pavichokche

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i guess so...

so basically, right now, the Acekard 2i, is running the way it would on a ds, so its like I have a DS in my dsi, that is definately not cool, since eventually I'll have to buy a new flashcard. Then again I got my acekard 2i for only $24 CAD with free shipping so, I guess its alright.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long has the DSi been out (speaking of Japan's release obviously) November 08... So 5 months. It's odd we haven't heard about someone cracking the actual DSi rather than to trick it to go into DS mode.

Pavichokche

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats true, but I always thought that the real progress will be made once it reaches North America, I don't know why. I may be wrong since the Japanese have a history of being pretty handy with that stuff, but whatever, we'll see I guess ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu