Homebrew Dump Original DS Games using 3DS

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I need to have A9LH installed though, which requires illegal downloading of copyrighted files.
I don't know what to tell you. Your aversion to downloading copyrighted files for whatever reason can honestly only be described as stupid. You can do or not do whatever you want, but installing A9LH is the best, if not the only, way to do what you want to without downloading ROMs. Of course, you'll have to download evil copyrighted files either way, so maybe just cut out the middle man and download the ROMs (though I recommend installing A9LH anyway).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "copyrighted files" in the 3DS guide are various versions of the 3DS operating system. This is required as part of the downgrade process.

Incidentally, according to Nintendo, it's illegal to make a backup copy of any Nintendo game, period.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: s/not legal/illegal/
Reactions: Xiphiidae

HenryRichard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incidentally, according to Nintendo, it's illegal to make a backup copy of any Nintendo game, period.
Well actually they're really careful with their words and make it almost always go back to downloading the roms from the internet. There is actually a part on this page (https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp) where they say "The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic."

It's too bad there aren't better ways of actually making the backups. Oh well, maybe I can get my hands on a flashcard and rip games that way.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Well actually they're really careful with their words and make it almost always go back to downloading the roms from the internet. There is actually a part on this page (https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp) where they say "The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic."

It's too bad there aren't better ways of actually making the backups. Oh well, maybe I can get my hands on a flashcard and rip games that way.
Decrypt9 is a "better way"

Reactions: Xiphiidae

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From later on in that page:
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.
This covers flashcards, too.

I find it highly unlikely that you aren't using (and/or haven't used) *any* form of unlicensed software on your computer.

Sidenote: DS dumping software designed to run on a flashcard will not work on 3DS, since removing the flashcard will shut off Slot-1 until you reboot. There's a version designed to run as DSiWare, but that requires CFW, and if you have CFW, you might as well use GodMode9.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +CFW

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't actually need A9LH to use Decrypt9, fasthax + safehax can launch it on 11.1.

That being said, being scared of downloading copyrighted files isn't that good of a reason to not install A9LH.

orochi115

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well, it is a shame to download copyrighted files. But, it also breaks EULA to run HBL and dump content from DS carts and try to run it elsewhere, if I remember correctly. It's just the grey area.

Reactions: Dionicio3

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..... Is this a serious discussion? I mean im only explaining why the website uses torrents. I shouldn't have even brought up why it's like that jeeze...

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, this may be a noob question, but I've googled quite a bit and I can't seem to find anything.

I just managed to get the homebrew launcher working on my 2DS and it seems like I can now do a whole bunch of cool things. However, the main reason I wanted to install it was to play romhacks of DS games without downloading ROMs from the internet (because it's illegal). I know, I'll never get caught and it's not going to hurt anyone, but I don't care since I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Anyways, I tried using braindump but that of course didn't work, since it doesn't support DS games. I also tried Decrypt9, but that didn't work because I'm running ver 11.1.0-34U, and it doesn't work past 9.something. I saw a thing called Wooddumper 3DS but that looked complicated to install and I wasn't sure if it would work. So can someone tell me if it would work, or it

It's okay to download the roms.
It's illegal but no one really cares, nothing will happen to you.

Reactions: Dionicio3

HenryRichard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've stated about five times before that I know that I will not be caught and nothing will happen to me at all. However, it doesn't sit right with my conscience and I'm not going to violate it - especially for entertainment purposes.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
If you already own the physical game, just download a ROM of it from the internet. You're placing to much symbolism on the act of dumping a cartridge you actually paid money for. Because in the long run, the zeros and ones that make up the ROM will be exactly identical.

If downloading ROMs from a long gone retro platform makes you unable to sleep at night, well, i'm afraid console hacking might not be for you.

Last edited by Deleted member 333767, , Reason: spelling/grammar

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
If you already own the physical game, just download a ROM of it from the internet. You're placing to much symbolism of dumping a cartridge you actually paid money for. Because in the long run, the zeros and ones that make up the ROM will be exactly identical.

If downloading ROMs from a long gone retro platform makes you unable to sleep at night, well, i'm afraid console hacking might not be for you.
Well said

Last edited by Dionicio3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it