Dumping decrypted PlayStation 5 games from console is now possible

PS5-Jailbreak-Featured.jpg

The PlayStation scene has been on quite the streak lately, as not only has the latest console by Sony been exploited to allow access to debug settings in-console,which can be achieved through several methods, be it webkit exploit, BD-JB or through PS2 Classics, but now the exploits can now serve a purpose beyond some proof of concept and some homebrew SDK being available.

On May 22nd, user Sleirsgoevy released a payload that makes use of the currently known webkit and userland exploit for the PS5 to allow dumping decrypted binaries of PlayStation 5 games, although the methodology to be able to do this is still locked to the PS5's exploitable firmware of 4.03, but it should be possible to port the current payload to the latest compatible exploitable firmware, that being 4.51. The dumping method relies on FTP to send the decrypted binary through a connection to another device.

While it was already possible to dump PS5 games, it was only possible to do so with the binaries being encrypted, with this new method allowing for fully dumping decrypted binaries now. This opens up the ability for users to dump their own games and preserve them, and this could also open up the doors for work on a PlayStation 5 emulator, since there could now be easier ways to test compatibility, if such a thing were to come.

As a particular side note, user Zecoxao has mentioned that it is now possible to dump the SCE modules of the console as well.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So should I buy a PS5 now?
Not unless it’s on 4.03.. which is majorly unlikely at any retailer right now. Buying second hand is better option if the FW has been retained and guaranteed to be usable.

Also: no exploit exists yet to use these dumps, so whilst preserving these games is useful for mining and archiving, you cannot play them.

Reactions: Mike_77712

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
A good start for PS5 preservation, though the space to store all those games is going to be quite something.

Also, this means we can finally port the Japan exclusive Ys VIII DLCs to PC and Vita, if someone dumps the decrypted PS5 version of the game.
Some DLCs were never shared/preserved, since they were originally bundled as store exclusive preorders when the game first launched for the Vita in Japan. Another one was included in a video game magazine as a download code.
Thanks to NISA for putting every single one of those DLCs into their PS5 release.
Just put each game up on the Internet Archive as split 7zip files, with a torrent.

Reactions: BigOnYa

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's nice. I think PS5 emulator will be very far away in later years that require Windows 11, Windows 12 and Linux with Nvidia RTX 50/60 series GPU with (16 GB VRAM or more) and later.

Not sure if high and/or very high end RTX 3080/90 and RTX 4080/90 maybe will running PS5 emulator in the future.

AMD Playstation 5 GPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-5-gpu.c3480

GRAPHICS PROCESSOR: Oberon
CORES: 2304
TMUS: 144
ROPS: 64
MEMORY SIZE: 16 GB
MEMORY TYPE: GDDR6
BUS WIDTH: 256 bit

Bandwidth: 448.0 GB/s

GPU Clock: 2233 MHz
Memory Clock: 1750 MHz 14 Gbps effective

Compute Units: 36
L2 Cache: 4 MB

Graphics Features

DirectX: N/A
OpenGL: 4.6
OpenCL: 1.2
Vulkan: 1.2
Shader Model: N/A

My guess list of Nvidia RTX for to running PS5 emulator:

Nvidia RTX 3050, 3060, 4050, 4060, Ti and older RTX 20 series: No working
Nvidia RTX 3070, 4070, Ti: Low FPS - Fair FPS (up to 20 FPS)
Nvidia RTX 3080, 4080, Ti: Fair FPS - Medium FPS (up to 40 FPS)
Nvidia RTX 3090, 4090, Ti: Medium FPS - High FPS (up to 60 FPS)

Last edited by console,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's nice. I think PS5 emulator will be very far away in later years that require Windows 11, Windows 12 and Linux with Nvidia RTX 50/60 series GPU with (16 GB VRAM or more) and later.

Not sure if high and/or very high end RTX 3080/90 and RTX 4080/90 maybe will running PS5 emulator in the future.

AMD Playstation 5 GPU:

Graphics Features

My 6GB 1060 GTX: "So what you're saying is, there's a chance!"

Reactions: console

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

AMD Playstation 5 GPU:

Graphics Features

I don't know today, but only few generations ago (wii u / ps3), i though we needed a strong CPU in order to run these, no? As in that was the main concern back then iirc

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
To Jayro. If your GPU VRAM is not match PS5 GPU VRAM (16 GB) size then heavy 3D games will not work need a lot of hungry power to running. Only light PS5 games like 2D or 2.5D or small 3D use less shadow, without ray tracing, etc (use few GPU VRAM) would work fine use few GPU VRAM. Heavy PS5 3D games are very hungry power means we need upgrade our GPU to more high range GPU or higher range GPU would help more to improve performance and speed on heavy 3D games. :)

To Noctosphere. Same me too not know when PS5 emulator will come out release. Agree with you. We need have beefier CPU like 8 cores with 16 threads or more like same match to PS5 CPU 8 cores with 16 threads would help more to running PS5 emulator. If CPU have turbo boost or/and overclock will push more speed up to help more on any heavy game to running more smooth. I think we need a lot of RAM like about 48 GB - 64 GB for PS5 emulator to decide which game will running on system RAM and/or GPU VRAM or both (system RAM and GPU VRAM together) to load on it then running and play game. Really pretty very hungry power for any heavy PS5 game (heavy 3D, not 2D or 2.5D or small 3D use less shadow, without ray tracing, etc) should handle just fine. But good news about system RAM are going get more cheap and afford prices are coming in near future. :)

Anyone heard about Nvidia company did downgrade RTX 3060 12 GB VRAM (192 Bit) to RTX 3060 (2nd generation) 8 GB VRAM (128 Bit) also affect RTX 4060 are already downgrade to 8 GB (128 Bit). Same apply to few other GPU video cards are already downgrade between RTX 30 series and RTX 40 series due to less cores, speed and amount of GPU VRAM. Nvidia company did mess up so bad on both RTX 30 and 40 GPU series. People said don't recommend to buy RTX 40 GPU due to downgrade like less cores, slow speed and less VRAM. No need to panic to buy RTX 40 GPU video cards right now and wait for RTX 50 GPU video cards instead when come out in year 2025.

I heard good news about RTX 50/60 GPU will used more faster memory chips like GDDR7 will get more big improve speed over current GPU video cards with GDDR6/x. Middle range and high range of RTX 50 series (PCIe Gen 5) cards will get big upgrade like more cores count increase, speed and will increase VRAM like double up than current GPU video cards standard cores, speed and VRAM. It will happen in year 2025 for new RTX 50 series to hit in any store shelves and online for anyone to order latest GPU video cards. RTX 60 series (PCIe Gen 5 or 6, not sure which one) GPU will release out later in year 2026. But price would be pretty higher than current GPU video cards means right now this year and before.

When any news about PS5 emulator will appear on internet news or gbatemp staff added news about PS5 emulator will be post on gbatemp front homepage to surprise everyone anytime in the future would be big excite for us and people. We can get to relax right now and keep playing any video games, watch movies, etc until news come out in near future. Cheers B-)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know today, but only few generations ago (wii u / ps3), i though we needed a strong CPU in order to run these, no? As in that was the main concern back then iirc
For those consoles you had to emulate a different CPU architecture, which takes significantly more power than that of the CPU you're emulating. PS5 runs on the same CPU architecture as PC, so CPU emulation isn't necessary, and the CPU power you'd need would be closer to that of the PS5 CPU, plus some overhead for the emulation of other parts of the system.

syfer1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can i ask i want to make 1 on 1 copy of my disk games is there any way to burn them on Bluray disk to play and preserve the original disk? There is no info online on what media type these games are on BD-R, BD-RE, BDXL, and Mini-BD. There is no info anywhere and putting this in Bleray Drive does not give much info. I wonder if its BDXL?

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i ask i want to make 1 on 1 copy of my disk games is there any way to burn them on Bluray disk to play and preserve the original disk? There is no info online on what media type these games are on BD-R, BD-RE, BDXL, and Mini-BD. There is no info anywhere and putting this in Bleray Drive does not give much info. I wonder if its BDXL?
No. Atleast not yet. But also No, your Bluray burner in your PC will not read/ burn PS5 disks.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...