Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey now, keep it PG-13 :creep:

Anyway, I was quoting the book verbatim (very much unlike the film).
I said about the first one that it was a good movie, but a bad adaptation. I suspect the second will be the same.
And I can't make sense of what Villeneuve decided to keep and what he decided to scrap and what he decided to change for no reason. I'm confus.
I wonder if Irulan will serve only as a narrator like in the books, or if she will take a more active role, going the 2000 miniseries route.
And we get to see Margot Fenring getting it on with Feyd Rautha for waaay too long.
And I think we have some stuff from the sequel books creeping in.

Anyway. I'll go watch it, in IMAX of course, but I'll be like:

bobs-burgers-fine-but-ill-complain.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Welp, fuck.
Like I said way back when, it's going to be a good movie, terrible Dune adaptation.

rushjurassicparkfly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the books and am yet to begin reading them, I'm ashamed to admit... Liked the first part a lot (it was far better than the D. Lynch movie, though I like that one as well), so I got sky-high expectations for part 2. Perhaps my ignorance of the source material is a pro and a con here? I'm also fan of "To Tame A Land" from Iron Maiden :)

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, Seeeems like an interesting movie. Though I haven't seen the first one :)

Dude, trust me. The first movie was very good, and I'll be seeing #2 as soon as possible.

But first, read the books.

I say again:

Read the books.

I think "read the books first" is maybe even more important for Dune than for Lord of the Rings. You'll have an amazing reading experience, and you'll enjoy the movies even more when you see them. (Besides, the first movie was just half of the first book in the original trilogy. I expect Villeneuve will need 4 more movies after this #2 one, if he wants to at least go that far. That's a lot of waiting.)

I would recommend you either read the original trilogy and stop, or read the original trilogy plus "God Emperor of Dune," and stop.

The series gets weaker after that and there's some posthumous plugging of gaps by Frank Herbert's son in the later books, so if you're a fanatic by that point you might read them anyway, but really it's the first four books that are "the story" for me. I first consumed "Dune" in 8th grade, 1979-80 school year.

Reactions: AncientBoi

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, trust me. The first movie was very good, and I'll be seeing #2 as soon as possible.

I say again:

Read the books.

I think "read the books first" is maybe even more important for Dune than for Lord of the Rings. You'll have an amazing reading experience, and you'll enjoy the movies even more when you see them. (Besides, the first movie was just half of the first book in the original trilogy. I expect Villeneuve will need 4 more movies after this #2 one, if he wants to at least go that far. That's a lot of waiting.)

I would recommend you either read the original trilogy and stop, or read the original trilogy plus "God Emperor of Dune," and stop.

The series gets weaker after that and there's some posthumous plugging of gaps by Frank Herbert's son in the later books, so if you're a fanatic by that point you might read them anyway, but really it's the first four books that are "the story" for me. I first consumed "Dune" in 8th grade, 1979-80 school year.
I started reading them all back to back almost 20 years ago. Got about 50 pages into Chapterhouse and burnt out… I’ve been telling myself for almost 20 years that I am going to to go back and read them again…

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

I say again:

Read the books.

I will have to disagree.

Villeneuve's Dune is a good movie, and I definitely recommend it, and will definitely watch the second part on premiere week - but in my opinion it's not a good adaptation of Dune. I get some of the omissions, and I'm not against making changes in adaptations, but some of the changes here I really don't get, and they range from pointless to confusing to downright nonsensical. Again, good movie, not an accurate portrayal of Herbert's universe, lacks a whole bunch of reasons I love the books.

My honest recommendation is to watch the move(s) first, and then read the books. You'll enjoy the movie and then have the books fill up the (many, many, many) gaps.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will have to disagree.

Villeneuve's Dune is a good movie, and I definitely recommend it, and will definitely watch the second part on premiere week - but in my opinion it's not a good adaptation of Dune. I get some of the omissions, and I'm not against making changes in adaptations, but some of the changes here I really don't get, and they range from pointless to confusing to downright nonsensical. Again, good movie, not an accurate portrayal of Herbert's universe, lacks a whole bunch of reasons I love the books.

My honest recommendation is to watch the move(s) first, and then read the books. You'll enjoy the movie and then have the books fill up the (many, many, many) gaps.

If that could work for you, sure. Would never work for me. I tried with "The Expanse" ... got hooked into this pretty good sci-fi show, watched until it started to fall apart and suck. So then started up with the books, to "repair the tragedy" of the show going sour. Inevitably as I read, I saw the actor's faces filling the characters they played, I saw the environments from the TV show supplant my ability to imagine the world written of in the book, I kept wondering where certain characters and story arcs would appear (but they never do, cuz they were made up for the TV show).

Works the opposite for me if I read the book first. I either find the film/TV content suitable enough to assimilate it to my prior familiarity and ideas from my reading, or else if it is too far off I reject it and stop watching. Works better for me, but YMMV.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
For me it depends from work to work.

The Altered Carbon show for example is so different from the books that it really doesn't matter what you do first because they are two completely separate things.

The Expanse showrunners didn't know if the show would succeed, if it would make it to the end of the season, let alone get renewed, so they had to shuffle a lot of things around while still trying to follow the books. This is the case with a lot of shows adapting long running book series, the first season needs to be a complete whole in case it gets canned next season, so a lot of arcs are either resolved before they would be in the book, or dropped, or replaced, and so on. (The episodic format used to mean events and plot beats had to be rearranged to make each episode a cohesive unit that had to resolve its plot-of-the-week, but with streaming services dumping entire seasons at once, it's not that important any more.) That's why the show diverges from the books but also why it's still close enough to make reading them afterwards weird.

I would agree LOTR is better if you've read the books first and that's what I would recommend too, but with this version of Dune I think the other way around is better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: good night dude