DYKG's "Heroes of Hyrule" video about a cancelled DS Zelda taken down by DMCA from Nintendo.

1670540011182.png

Did You Know Gaming (DYKG) has been a prominent journalism YouTube channel when it comes to everything gaming, focusing on a wide variety of gaming topics, like unannounced projects, rumours, beta content, cancelled projects, exclusive interviews with developers, unreleased artwork, and much more.

Back in October 2nd, 2022, Did You Know Gaming released a new video about a previously cancelled and unannounced DS game focused on the Zelda franchise, titled "Heroes of Hyrule". The premise of the cancelled game was that of a spin-off in the Zelda series, with a tactical RPG emphasis for its gameplay. The story would focus on a variety of characters and races from the Zelda franchise while they work their way towards a common goal. The game itself was going to be helmed by none other than the team behind Metroid Prime, Retro Studios. However, the project ended up getting cancelled in the design stage.

On December 8th, 2022, DYKG reached out through Twitter with an email received from YouTube regarding a strike on their channel sent directly by Nintendo of America, claiming it on DMCA grounds as copyright infringement.

1670513480768.png

DYKG mentions in their tweet that they will be "exploring all available options to restore the video" on YouTube.

:arrow: Original YouTube Link
:arrow: Archived Video

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I will continue to pirate all my Nintendo games. F#ck Nintendo, they should be putting their energy into fixing Pokemon sca/vi instead of these pointless takedowns.
I'd take it a step further: I'd stream nothing on my YT channel, but the latest pirated first party Nintendo games using YuZu and CEmu from my PC. Fvck Nintendo 🙄😒😅😆😂

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the time since the video went up, they probably received at least a hundred lengthy graphic death threats from deranged fans insisting that they finish the game by tomorrow and also release it on Steam, because that's how the Internet works.

(ETA: And also maybe provide the developers with their own private island in compensation, but people don't usually think of the devs.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels like a publicity stunt by Did you know gaming tbh, their videos have been dwindling in views lately and needed a stunt like this to get them back into the public eye. If they really cared about this information being out there they could just write an article about the entire thing and publish it on gaming websites or even just upload the video somewhere else themselves, but they just want that youtube ad money :creep:

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all this hate towards nintendo and yet people on this board will still buy (& pirate, which lets me know they still somewhat care about) their games.
But yeah, we need a more brave YTer who can actually stand up to the DMCA claims instead of just backing down every time nintendo raises their finger. There was nothing this dude was doing here that could be considered illegal besides distributing basic, readily available, researchable information

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh autobot then maybe
Most likely that. I can't imagine Nintendo has an employee going through gaming videos reporting them for using background music without permission.
all this hate towards nintendo and yet people on this board will still buy (& pirate, which lets me know they still somewhat care about) their games.
But yeah, we need a more brave YTer who can actually stand up to the DMCA claims instead of just backing down every time nintendo raises their finger. There was nothing this dude was doing here that could be considered illegal besides distributing basic, readily available, researchable information
Are they licensed to use the Nintendo music they use in their videos? If not then they may very well be doing something illegal.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, somehow this is a first even for them. Attacking Did You Know Gaming of all people, after running for what, 10 years by now? (man, back when I was sucked up by the internet & playing Spiral Knignts daily when we were finally allowed to by 1PM or so… I can’t even feel old anymore lol)
The channel that‘s gone from another NormalBoots member to working with voice actors/directors & people in the industry in recent years?

But hey, guess there’s SOMETHING in them for waiting for the fish to grow to a bigger size to fry. Heavens forbid we get another Metroid Dread, a game rising from the ashes, huh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof