EA: Battlefront won't have single player because "people don't want it."

battlefront_logo.jpg

In a recent interview with Peter Moore, COO of EA, Moore was asked about the controversy of yearly released sports titles, as well as some information about Star Wars Battlefront's lack of a single player campaign.

Peter Moore acknowledged that sports games have come under fire for being pushed out every year with menial updates, but he also thinks that in the future there may be a place for a yearly update, but for the time being “there is still a thirst for a great, brand-new boxed game.” Looks like we’ll be forking out for a new game every year for the foreseeable future, then…
Star Wars Battlefront was also on the table during the chat. When asked why the game won’t ship with a full-on single-player experience, Peter Moore stated that “very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games” going on with “that’s what the data points to.”

How do you feel about this line of thinking? Are games that seem to have a primary emphasis on multiplayer content, somehow excluded from the need for a single player campaign? Especially when it comes to narrative content such as the Star Wars universe.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Margen67

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I expected a bit of a challenge (it was super easy) and variety but Nintendo nowadays lacks it so should've predicted it.
Well at the same time you don't like the kart games single player (or I thought you said so) so its only natural.

Personally I did not play splatoon and probably will not since there are better games I can play on my wiiu

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nothing to do with that, I just don't play games online. Not my thing. I was all up for the idea of a modern single player Star Wars FPS.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well at the same time you don't like the kart games single player (or I thought you said so) so its only natural.

Personally I did not play splatoon and probably will not since there are better games I can play on my wiiu

Yeah, there's really no reason for me to play MK8 offline when the online mode is so much better and there's a randomness of how good/bad the other human players will be.

Still the other Mario Kart games I'm okay playing them offline because that's all that's left.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to do with that, I just don't play games online. Not my thing. I was all up for the idea of a modern single player Star Wars FPS.
Same here only online gaming I do is pvp with people I know

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, there's really no reason for me to play MK8 offline when the online mode is so much better and there's a randomness of how good/bad the other human players will be.

Still the other Mario Kart games I'm okay playing them offline because that's all that's left.
Even still I'm assuming you like the older games much better with local multiple player

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In a shooter with decent multiplayer, I NEVER play the single player. All I'm interested in is competitive multiplayer. I'm in the minority on this board, but I know there are many people like me out there. My biggest concern with Battlefront is that the multiplayer is balanced and polished.
I do like co-op campaigns and other co-op style missions, but I don't like playing campaigns/missions by myself.

If you guys want Star Wars shooter story mode just wait for a Dark Forces / Jedi Knight sequel or Republic Commando sequel, or even a Shadows of the Empire sequel. Don't get me wrong, these single player games had great story modes and are worthy of single player sequels, but Battlefront is not the right place for a story mode, and DICE have a bad record for making story modes.

Last edited by Obveron,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, lets be fair to EA here. If they let you have fun playing single-player, what would be your incentive to buy a new battlefront the next year after they shut the multiplayer server off for this one?

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, lets be fair to EA here. If they let you have fun playing single-player, what would be your incentive to buy a new battlefront the next year after they shut the multiplayer server off for this one?
What about like the NBA 2k series where they make both multiplayer and single player great and you still buy a new one every year or so

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man I wonder how Activision keeps selling COD so well after each game has a single player campaign mode that some people really enjoy, this time even co-op campaign mode, which should be even more fun.
I wonder how Nintendo keeps selling Pokemon games yearly since they're primarily Singleplayer games.
I wonder how Scott could make 4 FNAF games in a single year, purely Singleplayer games, and the fanbase loving them.

EA doesn't trust their customers that they're going to buy the yearly sequel so they design these games around having full control over them.
I bet when the XBO still had these shitty DRM features EA pissed themselves with excitement.

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I wonder how Activision keeps selling COD so well after each game has a single player campaign mode that some people really enjoy, this time even co-op campaign mode, which should be even more fun.
I wonder how Nintendo keeps selling Pokemon games yearly since they're primarily Singleplayer games.
I wonder how Scott could make 4 FNAF games in a single year, purely Singleplayer games, and the fanbase loving them.

EA doesn't trust their customers that they're going to buy the yearly sequel so they design these games around having full control over them.
I bet when the XBO still had these shitty DRM features EA pissed themselves with excitement.
Exactly people would still buy them no matter what

Reactions: CathyRina

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It wasn't that long ago that developers were shoe-horning very underwhelming multi-player modes into single player/campaign/story based titles - they're just too lazy/greedy to do the reverse.

And as for that BS about the sports titles and consumers still wanting a shiny new boxed release every year... did I miss when they trialed alternatives, like a far more logical dlc roster update?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted "no". Reason: I played the UT3 campaign.

No, I'm not trolling. For me, it's simple: if a game is aimed at singleplayer, it shouldn't have a tacked on multiplayer "just because". Likewise, multiplayer games shouldn't have a single player tacked on "just because".

Of course there's a very good reason for a singleplayer campaign (mostly: to learn newer players the ropes). But tutorials have replaced those, and really...I think the costs of a campaign hardly anyone bothers about is just money that could've been better spent elsewhere. And to gamers: it's not like you won't find a singleplayer fix anywhere else.

...and so far, I'm not even taking into account that this is EA we're talking about. I wasn't going to buy shit from them in the first place, so I'm not exactly panicking right now.

SolidMario7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this will not affect my decision on getting the game much it is still disappointing. Campaign mode has been essentially training mode for online play for me. Single player may not always have the same 'physics' as multiplayer mode, but it allowed you to get a 'feel' for the game. Besides I remember Battlefront 2 had an interesting campaign mode telling of the Journal of the 501st. They didn't put much effort into it but it was appreciated all the same. It wouldn't take much for EA to connect it to the new movie for a story on the troopers.

Anyways, I hate how games in general are degenerating.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
absolutely needed, since internet is not always working so perfect, in single player (with a desent story) i'd still be abble to practice my game to get better in the game.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
440102e3fc.png

From the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Steam achievement stats. I guess those 55.9% of players don't matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox